Queasy beads

janice2348

As one who has inner ear issues and gets seasick at the drop of a hat (or a roll of the boat), I LOVE SEA BANDS. They are (so far) the only thing that works for me when sailing AND when riding rollercoasters. Before Sea Bands I would get pretty queasy riding Star Tours. No more!

I have never heard of these Queasy Beads, but they certainly are prettier to look at than Sea Bands (although double the price of Sea Bands). If they work that's all that matters.

I tried Bonine on my first cruise and it worked somewhat, but not as well as the Sea Bands for me which I started wearing on my second cruise. It's like Advil or Aleve. My roommate swears by Advil which does nothing for me. I swear by Aleve which does nothing for her. Everyone's body is different which is a good thing!

Janice, please make sure to come back to this thread and let us know how they worked and post some pix with you and your stylin' Queasy Beads! Mebbe I'll order some for my upcoming B2B. :rolleyes:

Theresa

Thanks to everyone who posted.

I agree with the poster who said-if you don't get seasick, why post? And to keep an open mind:D

I will definitely come back and post pics of me wearing these on my cruise and will let you all know if they worked.

• 2 weeks later...
As one who has inner ear issues and gets seasick at the drop of a hat (or a roll of the boat), I LOVE SEA BANDS. They are (so far) the only thing that works for me when sailing AND when riding rollercoasters. Before Sea Bands I would get pretty queasy riding Star Tours. No more!

I have never heard of these Queasy Beads, but they certainly are prettier to look at than Sea Bands (although double the price of Sea Bands). If they work that's all that matters.

I tried Bonine on my first cruise and it worked somewhat, but not as well as the Sea Bands for me which I started wearing on my second cruise. It's like Advil or Aleve. My roommate swears by Advil which does nothing for me. I swear by Aleve which does nothing for her. Everyone's body is different which is a good thing!

Janice, please make sure to come back to this thread and let us know how they worked and post some pix with you and your stylin' Queasy Beads! Mebbe I'll order some for my upcoming B2B. :rolleyes:

Theresa

I completely agree with Theresa.

I suffer from motion sickness, but probably not as much as others. I have also been lucky that the cruises we have been on have not been to bad. My first cruise I was afraid of getting sea sick so I got the patches from my Dr. After the second day I took them off because we had good weather with very little waves. They also made my mouth very dry. The Bonine also made my mouth dry. I tried the ginger snaps and they seemed to work, but the problem is I love the cookies so I would eat more than necessary for the sea sickness. I now bring candied ginger which works very well for me. I also don't eat to much of it. I don't know how well the ginger would work in really rough seas. I have my private pilots license and in South Florida we can have a lot of wind so I have eaten plenty of ginger.

I might get some beads or a band next time to see if they would work for me. Good luck on your cruise and have fun.

Edited by ReneeFLL

This is a really useful thread as it's something I worry about, having inner ear issues. I can't take a lot of sea sickness meds because they interact with other things I'm taking so the beads look worth a try.

The sea bands work for me to a certain extent but they're a bit uncomfortable and look really awful, I like the idea of the beads.

I have stem ginger to help with the nausea and try to make sure i can see the horizon as much as possible, not always possible if you're in a cabin but it helps. I tend to feel ok while on board but then can't stop swaying once I get off and the first night on dry land is awful as I can't walk straight :)

I tried ginger capsules on the last cruise and they did nothing. Six nights of misery...don't want a repeat of that. Ginger candy gives me heartburn.

I am optimistic these will work. Will definintely post when I get back and let you all know.

Only 22 days to go!

A question for those who tried ginger capsules - how many do you take?

I take 2 a day starting 2-3 days before the cruise, 2 to 4 per day depending on the sea condition. Never tried candy or ale.

The bracelets slide over your hand-they are elastic. You wear them over your pressure point, three fingers up from the bottom of your hand. They are snug but should not be cutting off your circulation, which is why I had mine remeasured and refit (my mistake in measuring).

• 4 weeks later...

We are back from our cruise.

Here are my thoughts: seas were very rough coming back. I think the queasy beads worked to a point but I ended up having to take Bonine.

DH and I have decided to forgo ocean cruising for now. Not just because of the motion sickness but because we were really disappointed in the food/ service.

It was worth a try.

We are back from our cruise.

Here are my thoughts: seas were very rough coming back. I think the queasy beads worked to a point but I ended up having to take Bonine.

DH and I have decided to forgo ocean cruising for now. Not just because of the motion sickness but because we were really disappointed in the food/ service.

It was worth a try.

As far as I can tell, you never mentioned which cruise line you used. If you had problems with food and service, I would assume it was one of the mass market lines. The reason I mention this is that many Cruise Critic contributors leave out any mention of food or service in their suggestions about which line to use. Often the recommendation is to base choice solely on itinerary and price.

If one thinks Appleby's or Red Lobster is "best I've ever had," that may be true. But, if food quality and service is a real factor in your consideration, you should probably be looking at a line like Oceania.

Knowing that some readers will point out the brochure price difference from mass market lines like NCL or Celebrity, do recognize that a good travel agent could get the bottom line pricing of an upper end line like Azamara or Oceania closer to the pricing of HAL or Princess.

As hackneyed as a phrase might be: you get what you pay for.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So, I leave on my first cruise (sort of, but it's a long story :)) on Thursday. I ordered the queasy beads and have them. I have no idea if I will get seasick. I don't think I will, but wanted to be safe. This leaves my question: Will they work if I put them on if I start to feel seasick or do they have to be on before? I would rather save them in case I need them, but if they won't work after the onset of nausea then I will need to rethink. Can anyone advise me please?

Better to have them on from the start. I would take Bonine..or you can get it for free from guest services. I would not tell the room steward you are sick...they will think you have noro. Ours was concerned that I didn't leave the cabin for a whole day but DH told him I was fine. I made sure I made an appearance the next day.

My concern is that it says to be careful with water and sunscreen. I'd like to be outside at the pool and I don't want to worry about them. Not sure what to do. I really do hope I'm worrying for nothing!

Better to have them on from the start. I would take Bonine..or you can get it for free from guest services. I would not tell the room steward you are sick...they will think you have noro. Ours was concerned that I didn't leave the cabin for a whole day but DH told him I was fine. I made sure I made an appearance the next day.

• 2 weeks later...
I tried ginger capsules last time- they did nothing for me. I'm also bringing motionease as a back up.

Different things work for different people. I figured those who were successful with sea bands might be interested.

Thank you, yes I am interested in other things that might work like seabands.

When I cruised as a kid, the bands worked perfectly.

Last time I cruised, I felt fine on the cruise and "sea-sick" when I was back on land. I used it and felt better.

I guess it's part psychological...

I used to think that lol

4 years ago on the Bahamas Celebration ship.

4 am. I'm rocking back and forth.....wake up to the worst feeling. "oh...THIS must be seasickness" I had never felt anything like it before. It was worse than flu. I got it while I was asleep, so I knew it was real.

]Quite often people who do not suffer from motion sickness don't understand it or think it's all in our head. I suffer from it. You either do or you don't and it's nothing you did' date=' it's and inner ear issue. Either way, I would tell those who do not suffer from it, be thankful. [/b']Imagine loving cruising as you do and have to deal with being ill each cruise? I try something new each time we go out and long for the panacea. I for one, look forward to hearing how you make out with these. Best of luck.

exactly. I used to make fun of it....till i got it. People are so judgemental...yeah, I was too. :o