Jewel OTS flight query

Hi all,

Am thinking of doing Jewel out of San Juan later this year. I know there are lots of texans on here (although if you are from anywhere else I am sure you can still help:))

Was looking at doing choice air with cruise as there is only one flight a day from Dallas to San Juan. I was slightly surprised RC offer the flight as the package the same day as flight arrives at 7.30 pm and ship sails 8.30 pm

Not sure why they guarantee you are on a flight that will make the sailing when it seems to be cutting it a bit fine:confused::confused:

Has anyone made this flight and still got on the ship.

I know I can fly the day before but it means pulling DD out of school early and she is loathe to lose her perfect attendance.:D

Any assistance would be appreciated.:)

Wow that would be one tight transfer from the airport out to the cruise ship dock. I know it took us at least 45 minutes to get off the plane, get our luggage. it was then at least 30 minutes to get to the Shearton hotel by taxi (right beside the dock).

Any second of delay and you would miss the boat.:(

We found it nice getting there 1 day before we had a nice morning around the pool, and then took a taxi over to the departure port around noon.

I would recommend that DD miss one day of school.:D

Wow that would be one tight transfer from the airport out to the cruise ship dock. I know it took us at least 45 minutes to get off the plane, get our luggage. it was then at least 30 minutes to get to the Shearton hotel by taxi (right beside the dock).

Any second of delay and you would miss the boat.:(

We found it nice getting there 1 day before we had a nice morning around the pool, and then took a taxi over to the departure port around noon.

I would recommend that DD miss one day of school.:D

Thanks

Trust me she will go to school and only agree to get picked up last moment possible - as much as she loves cruising she will only go if missing as little school as poss:rolleyes:

I wasn't sure how far the ship was and I know they don't offer the early flight out so was surprised they were offering the late flight in as they say they only offer flights that will guarantee making the ship:confused::)

At least we live close to a major airport!

Hi all,

Am thinking of doing Jewel out of San Juan later this year. I know there are lots of texans on here (although if you are from anywhere else I am sure you can still help:))

Was looking at doing choice air with cruise as there is only one flight a day from Dallas to San Juan. I was slightly surprised RC offer the flight as the package the same day as flight arrives at 7.30 pm and ship sails 8.30 pm

Not sure why they guarantee you are on a flight that will make the sailing when it seems to be cutting it a bit fine:confused::confused:

Has anyone made this flight and still got on the ship.

I know I can fly the day before but it means pulling DD out of school early and she is loathe to lose her perfect attendance.:D

Any assistance would be appreciated.:)

American Airlines has two flights a day nonstop from Dallas to San Juan. The second one is at 4:45 pm I believe. We have taken that several times. Gets you into San Juan and to the hotel by @ 10:30-11 pm.

Your daughter could still go to school and just leave an hour or two early from school.

Having sailed out of San Juan several times I would NOT take a flight that arrived at 7:30 pm day of sailing. I cannot believe Royal Caribbean would even approve of such a flight.

I understand the perfect attendance...Our youngest son (now ready to graduate from college) had perfect attendance and earned the recognition made at his high school graduation...This is truely an amazing accomplishment and shows dedication to any student that has done this..Best of luck to your daughter in reaching this personal goal . :)

I also can't understand that kind of arrival time offered by Choice Air :eek:

You have to be onboard 90 minutes before the ship sails per CBP. Additionally muster is at 530ish, so I'm not sure how that would work, a second muster?

Yes, Adventure has a second muster for those who were not on board in time for the 5:30pm muster.

Thank you all for your replies.

It is the 4:40pm flight I am looking at the day before as she will be able to stay in school until 2pm. I thought the day of flight was pushing it and like you all was very surprised they were offering. The only reason I had even thought about it was the fact they say they guarantee you will make the ship.

I have gone online three times to double check I have correct details in and I do.

In the process I found a section where you can enter where you are sailing from, ship and date and they tell you the latest you can arrive by air to make the ship. It says 6pm for San Juan so still surprised it is showing.

I understand the perfect attendance...Our youngest son (now ready to graduate from college) had perfect attendance and earned the recognition made at his high school graduation...This is truely an amazing accomplishment and shows dedication to any student that has done this..Best of luck to your daughter in reaching this personal goal . :)

I also can't understand that kind of arrival time offered by Choice Air :eek:

Thank you so much for your kind words. Congratulations to your son as well!

Our DD has unfortunately only made perfect attendance one year so far due to illnesses in the past, and is intent on getting it again. as she has grown older she has realized the importance of it as well as how difficult it is to achieve. As she is getting older fortunately she is getting better at not picking up illness at school as that is the only thing that has made her miss in the past. We are very blessed to have a daughter that truly wants to be at school learning like your son.

I am sure your son will go on to achieve great things!

American Airlines has two flights a day nonstop from Dallas to San Juan. The second one is at 4:45 pm I believe. We have taken that several times. Gets you into San Juan and to the hotel by @ 10:30-11 pm.

Your daughter could still go to school and just leave an hour or two early from school.

Having sailed out of San Juan several times I would NOT take a flight that arrived at 7:30 pm day of sailing. I cannot believe Royal Caribbean would even approve of such a flight.

Thank you. It says departs 4:40 arrives 11:10pm so I'm guessing two hour time difference.

Do you do hotel yourself or with RC and do you have a hotel recommendation?

We would want something relatively close to airport and port for ease of transport. Any hotel recommendations you have and info on cost of transfers to/from airport/hotel hotel/port and port/airport would be appreciated.

Thank you. It says departs 4:40 arrives 11:10pm so I'm guessing two hour time difference.

We would want something relatively close to airport and port for ease of transport. Any hotel recommendations you have and info on cost of transfers to/from airport/hotel hotel/port and port/airport would be appreciated.

When we fly to SJU we always book our flights directly with the airline as we have found the fares much cheaper than Choice Air. Choice Air has the best international fares, but no so much when you are booking domestic flights.

If you do Choice Air and arrive the day prior to debarkation and stay at an RCI hotel, you will have to provide your own transportation from airport to hotel as they do not offer transfers any more. Taxis are readily available at the airport and it is a set fee depending on hotel and zone location.

Hotels through RCI will be more expensive than doing it on your own. When you do a hotel through RCI it will include your transfers from hotel to ship. A taxi will be less expensive and get you there a lot quicker as they do not have to stop at other hotels to pick up guests.

You may want to visit the Caribbean Ports of Call Boards and then click on San Juan.

Edited by cruisenfever

We're booked on the Jewel out of SJ and - by going in the day before - found much cheaper fares and more schedule flexibility booking flights on our own. Less concerned about needing the Choice Air guarantee when we're arriving 20 hours before the ships leaves :-). I've heard the Sheraton Convention Center is right by the RCL cruise slip. We're all using hotel points, so we're scattered all over :-).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, just saw this now. We do flights and hotel independently. We have stayed twice at the Sheraton Convention Center. The hotel is very much alive when you get in late and the bar has a nice food menu if you are hungry that late. Chicken Wings are super yummy. Very nice hotel, and I recall getting reasonable rates. Book now for lower rates, you can always cancel if you change your mind.

Cab from airport to hotel is quick, easy and inexpensive. Cab from hotel is super short and inexpensive. At both the airport and hotel cabs are waiting, so no lines.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by KittyCat1Million

Sorry, just saw this now. We do flights and hotel independently. We have stayed twice at the Sheraton Convention Center. The hotel is very much alive when you get in late and the bar has a nice food menu if you are hungry that late. Chicken Wings are super yummy. Very nice hotel, and I recall getting reasonable rates. Book now for lower rates, you can always cancel if you change your mind.

Cab from airport to hotel is quick, easy and inexpensive. Cab from hotel is super short and inexpensive. At both the airport and hotel cabs are waiting, so no lines.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the info

Was actually looking at the sheraton convention center and the best western.i know that probably sounds like a strange two to compare. To book ourselves the best western has breakfast good reviews but a bit further out. However I can get the sheraton just as cheap if book direct with RC but no breakfast included. We were concerned as we arrive at 11:20 pm and a number of reviews stated that when they book hotels independently when they have arrives late their rooms have been given away. Apparently this is quite a common issue in SJ. As such really confused what to do. What is the sheraton convention center like and are there many inexpensive options for breakfast nearby? My DM won't eat a full breakfast so want something informal. If. I book hotel with RC they include transfer from hotel to port.

Thanks for your halo everyone

Thanks for the info

Was actually looking at the sheraton convention center and the best western.i know that probably sounds like a strange two to compare. To book ourselves the best western has breakfast good reviews but a bit further out. However I can get the sheraton just as cheap if book direct with RC but no breakfast included. We were concerned as we arrive at 11:20 pm and a number of reviews stated that when they book hotels independently when they have arrives late their rooms have been given away. Apparently this is quite a common issue in SJ. As such really confused what to do. What is the sheraton convention center like and are there many inexpensive options for breakfast nearby? My DM won't eat a full breakfast so want something informal. If. I book hotel with RC they include transfer from hotel to port.

Thanks for your halo everyone

I'm not familiar with the Best Western so look at reviews. As far as breakfast the Sheraton has room service and a cafe with breakfast on the lobby level. The hotel is very nice, no negatives. But free breakfast can be worth it. The Sheraton is a very inexpensive cab ride so distance may be a factor.

In the end it is probably a few dollars here and there for cabs, breakfast, etc. Just choose what looks good and go with it. Don't over think it. Enjoy your cruise!