Norovirus

Hello all!

This is my very first post here and I'm sure people will wonder why I chose the title!

My husband and I with family and friends are sailing this August on Explorer of the seas for our very first time!

One small concern is that I know a girl whose cruise was ruined with the Norovirus.

Having spent quite a bit on this cruise, and having read about this virus running amok on some ships, I'm a bit concerned!

Can anyone advise?

Thanks all :)

Hello all!

This is my very first post here and I'm sure people will wonder why I chose the title!

My husband and I with family and friends are sailing this August on Explorer of the seas for our very first time!

One small concern is that I know a girl whose cruise was ruined with the Norovirus.

Having spent quite a bit on this cruise, and having read about this virus running amok on some ships, I'm a bit concerned!

Can anyone advise?

Thanks all :)

I've sailed on 15 different Carnival ships and completed 32 cruises. I've never had norovirus.

I make it a habit to wash my hands frequently and avoid touching my face. I also don't eat anything with my hands unless I've washed them first.

Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands! I don't touch the railing in the glass elevators and going down stairs I tend to put my arm over the banister, not holding on to it. Just because you're on a cruise does not mean you can/will get Norovirus. We cruise a LOT (only 9 times this past year but 13 times in 2012). I don't like the hand sanitizers so just wash my hands when ever we go back to our cabin and of course in the ship's bathrooms.

We've cruised since 1985 and I have never gotten sick on a cruise. We have been on 6 current cruise lines and have been on Carnival ships for 320 days!

Edited by Bonnie J.

As a nurse, you know all too well about viruses. The statistics about norovirus are staggering......83% of all norovirus cases are in medical/nursing/restaurant/banquet facilities. You hear more about it as the cruise lines are required to report all cases.

To put things into perspective, 21 million people cruised last year. Of those, only 1300 came down with norovirus. That comes to about .006% of cruisers that are impacted. Most times, people board the ship with the virus and spread it.

Again, wash your hands, keep your unwashed hands away from your face and above all.....enjoy your cruise!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We have been on quite a few ships that either had the Noro Virus when we got on the ship or it broke out while we were cruising. And so far we have not gotten the illness.

The big key is to wash your hands and avoid touching your face.

When washing your hands -- sing Happy Birthday twice. When using the restrooms, when leaving use a paper towel to open the door. The ships we have on lately -- HAL -- have a waste basket near the door for disposal of paper towels.

As a nurse, you know all too well about viruses. The statistics about norovirus are staggering......83% of all norovirus cases are in medical/nursing/restaurant/banquet facilities. You hear more about it as the cruise lines are required to report all cases.

To put things into perspective, 21 million people cruised last year. Of those, only 1300 came down with norovirus. That comes to about .006% of cruisers that are impacted. Most times, people board the ship with the virus and spread it.

Again, wash your hands, keep your unwashed hands away from your face and above all.....enjoy your cruise!

Carol, that's a pretty reassuring stat! xxxx

Thanks guys, seems to be the key here is the hand washing! Oh and the non face touching lol!

xxxx

I also don't push elevator buttons with a finger, but with my knuckle. I use a clean napkin to touch the food utensils in the buffet. I bring Clorox wipes to clean the TV remote, phone and other surfaces in the cabin. And then wash hands frequently.

As a nurse, you know that Noro is NOT just present on ships! Elementary schools are rampant with it, and you can pick it up anywhere!

No one wants to get ill on vacation....whether it's a cruise or land-based!

As long as you don't touch your eyes, nose, or mouth, and wash hands before eating, you'll be ok. Even if your hands get dirty, as long as you don't introduce the germs/virus/bacteria into your system, you're good!

The biggest percentage of the time norovirus is brought onboard the ship on embarkation day at the start of the cruise by a boarding passenger or sometimes possibly a crew member. Many times noro is brought aboard in the ports of call by passengers returning from excursions or crew members that have been ashore. If there was an outbreak of noro on a cruise there will be delayed boarding for the next cruise as the ship will do a required heavy sanitizing of the entire ship.

An outbreak of noro on a cruise ship is always a possibility but generally not common. Noro on cruise ships always gets a lot of press in the media especially after a large outbreak as recently occured on the Explorer of the Seas.

Edited by Eng23