Venice Water Taxi from airport to hotel

tillybilly

We are staying at the Hotel Papadopoli for one night pre cruise and would like to take a water taxi from the airport to the hotel. Should we pre book this service [if so who with] or can we just walk to the pier and hire one?

Thanks Mick and Deb.

There is a desk in the terminal where you pay, then they send you off to the docks. If you like, you can ask if anyone wants to share. We did that and met a lovely couple who were going on a cruise--we were not at that time. There could be a small upcharge if the hotels are far apart.

Info about the water-taxi desk in this link. And a link to the reservation site if you prefer a reservation:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/water-taxis.htm

Since the Papadopoli is just off the Piazzale Roma your ride won't take you down the Grand Canal, if that's what you were looking for.

Another option for approaching Venice by water is the Alilaguna ... takes longer, which might be a good thing if you want to enjoy the scenery.

Just to throw another option out since your hotel is so close to Piazzale Roma...

You can take the ATVO coach bus. Tickets are 6E per person (don’t forget to validate them at the yellow machine on the concrete pillar before boarding the bus). Just follow the signs out the airport for the bus area. We did this last October and it's a ~30min ride into Venice on the causeway (depending on traffic) which drops you off in Piazzale Roma. However, it looks like you will have to haul you luggage across one bridge.

• 2 weeks later...
Info about the water-taxi desk in this link. And a link to the reservation site if you prefer a reservation:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/water-taxis.htm

Since the Papadopoli is just off the Piazzale Roma your ride won't take you down the Grand Canal, if that's what you were looking for.

Another option for approaching Venice by water is the Alilaguna ... takes longer, which might be a good thing if you want to enjoy the scenery.

and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than the water taxi!

• 2 weeks later...
www.alilaguna.it

Alilaguna is the private water bus company. It serves the airport from the water taxi dock and the port. Several routes. Prices and timetable on the website.

We used them last June. They were pretty good, and WAY cheaper than a water taxi. I would recommend them in general.

However, since the OP's hotel is near Piazzale Roma, Alilaguna won't work so well since none of their lines stop at Piazzale Roma. It would be cheaper and easier to take a land bus as someone above mentioned.

What about a recommendation of a land taxi? We had a great company two years ago and I can't find the name After three flights to get there I want to get to the hotel ASAP (Antiche Figure)

We took a water taxi post cruise and it was $150 euros vs the land taxi was like 60

I don't think the water bus will work in our case as we are near p.roma as well

Just to throw another option out since your hotel is so close to Piazzale Roma...

You can take the ATVO coach bus. Tickets are 6E per person (don’t forget to validate them at the yellow machine on the concrete pillar before boarding the bus). Just follow the signs out the airport for the bus area. We did this last October and it's a ~30min ride into Venice on the causeway (depending on traffic) which drops you off in Piazzale Roma. However, it looks like you will have to haul you luggage across one bridge.

We plan to take this bus. Did you have to wait long for the bus at the Airport, and were there enough buses for all the passengers that wanted to ride? We are staying at the Popodopli too, and the bus seems to be the best option, but I don't want to be hanging around waiting for it.!!!! The walk to the hotel doesn't look too arduous. Thanks

We plan to take this bus. Did you have to wait long for the bus at the Airport, and were there enough buses for all the passengers that wanted to ride? We are staying at the Popodopli too, and the bus seems to be the best option, but I don't want to be hanging around waiting for it.!!!! The walk to the hotel doesn't look too arduous. Thanks

The walk from Pizzale Roma to Hotel Popodopli is very easy by Venice standards. 5 minutes, one bridge with 12 short steps (like angle-high), so pretty easy to pull wheeled luggage up/down (at least compared to other Venice bridges).

Google Maps Street View captures the images very well. You can "walk" it online and see it quite clearly.

We did the "walk on line" and it certainly is do-able; it is the wait for the bus at Marco Polo that bothers me.

Good point. Hopefully someone else can tell their experiences. FWIW, I do see a lot of recommendations for the bus over at TA, and I didn't see any saying there were waiting problems, so hopefully that's a good sign. But personally I don't know.

You probably already have this but here's the ATVO bus timetable:

http://www.atvo.it/?lang=en&area=23&menuid=35