Gluten free dining

christa

Any tips for gluten-free dining on the Dream (for an adult)? Any recommended entrees or desserts? I've only been gluten free for 2 months and am going to miss cakes and desserts the most. Will I get a separate menu each night? And, can any gluten free bread- like items be found at breakfast? I would love a gluten free version of eggs Benedict! TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by christa

Any tips for gluten-free dining on the Dream (for an adult)? Any recommended entrees or desserts? I've only been gluten free for 2 months and am going to miss cakes and desserts the most. Will I get a separate menu each night? And, can any gluten free bread- like items be found at breakfast? I would love a gluten free version of eggs Benedict! TIA

Inform DCL in advance or on first night to head server and they will look after you.

This is from my Princess FAQ but from my experience holds generally true on Disney.

Food Allergies/Special Diets/Dietary Concerns

Many cruisers nowadays have special dietary needs, most often for medical reasons. Cruise lines will do everything possible to accommodate reasonable requests, but it takes a partnership.

If you have a dietary need, there are certain general steps you should follow:

• If your needs are medically based, I recommend traditional dining. Maintaining the same wait staff will make it much easier to manage. If TD is not an option, see below.
  • Indicate your specific needs in the cruise personalizer as early as possible. This allows for the possibility of onloading any special items needed.
  • Once onboard, contact the Maitre’D on embarkation day (location will be listed in the patter). Confirm they have your details correct. He or she will go over their specific protocols with you.
  • Indicate if your dietary needs are medical or preferential, i.e. a food allergy versus a lifestyle choice. This can influence options available and also make it easier on the kitchen staff. Food allergies require special care, but if you don’t eat nuts by preference you will not know they used the same pot to cook it.
  • During meals, your main point of contact will be your servers and most especially your headwaiter. Each evening, the headwaiter should review the next day’s menu with you and will work with you to adjust as needed. They can also make arrangements for specialty dining, which should be confirmed upon arrival at the venue.
  • If you are in AD, and at Breakfast and Lunch, advise your servers that the headwaiter is aware of your special diet and has arranged menu options if available.

Some Notes:

• Needless to say, your options may be limited early on Embarkation day, and the adjustments at the first night’s dinner may also be a little more limited as the kitchen has had very little time to prepare. That said, the kitchen will do whatever they can.
  • In general, avoid the buffet. While Princess makes every effort to avoid cross-contamination, your fellow passengers do not. I’ve personally observed the same utensils used to spread peanut butter used to pick up other items.
  • Princess cannot provide special meals to take off the ship as most ports will not allow it. You should plan accordingly for excursions.
  • The executive chef and their team and the headwaiter will be working very hard to ensure your needs. If you can arrange it, a personal thank you is always a good idea, or at the very least a positive comment card

Just got off the Fantasy and my wife is gluten sensitive. They were very accommodating at dinners for her (make note on the first night or call in advance of the trip) and there were plenty of options, including taking meals like a seafood pasta and putting the entree over rice instead.

What we did find is that they had no GF pasta, breads, cookies, pizza or cakes. While plenty of other options at Cabanas, late night dining was interesting as outside of room service, it was limited. There was a very good grilled chicken sandwich at Flo's - marinated Chix and no breading. Obviously no bun, but the condiment bar had plenty of lettuce, etc. to make a solid snack/meal.

We were a bit surprised that Disney wasn't as in front of GF dietary needs as much as we're finding the US mainland restaurants are. There are many options, but nothing indicating a focus or intent towards real solutions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They do a super job. If you call DCL now (TA will have to do this is you used one) they will be all ready for you. If not, tell head server on first night, but better in advance.

Head server or chef will walk buffet line with you to advise on safety. They will make special items as you wish.

Just got off the Fantasy and my wife is gluten sensitive. They were very accommodating at dinners for her (make note on the first night or call in advance of the trip) and there were plenty of options, including taking meals like a seafood pasta and putting the entree over rice instead.

What we did find is that they had no GF pasta, breads, cookies, pizza or cakes. While plenty of other options at Cabanas, late night dining was interesting as outside of room service, it was limited. There was a very good grilled chicken sandwich at Flo's - marinated Chix and no breading. Obviously no bun, but the condiment bar had plenty of lettuce, etc. to make a solid snack/meal.

We were a bit surprised that Disney wasn't as in front of GF dietary needs as much as we're finding the US mainland restaurants are. There are many options, but nothing indicating a focus or intent towards real solutions.

Thank you- good idea with the rice instead of pasta.

Thanks to all for the advice. I will call in advance and let the head waiter know too. It sounds like I will have the creme brûlée frequently.

Edited by christa

I am also new to a gluten free diet and just returned from a cruise on the Fantasy. I found they were very accommodating though desserts were limited until I overheard a woman at the table next to me, very politely but assertively ask to have the chefs make her a cheesecake dessert. After that, I was sure to ask for something other than fruit and sorbet and I was glad I did because the chef made me a few delicious chocolate desserts!

You do realize that the marinade most likely has vinegar in it which is almost always made with wheat unless otherwise stated, right? Ketchup, mustard, and most salad dressings also have wheat ingredients unless specified as gluton free--the ones in DCL's condiment bar are not GF.

They do a super job. If you call DCL now (TA will have to do this is you used one) they will be all ready for you. If not' date=' tell head server on first night, but better in advance.

Head server or chef will walk buffet line with you to advise on safety. They will make special items as you wish.[/quote']

A small correction,even if you used a TA, you can call special services directly to talk about dietary and medical issues. They would actually rather speak directly to the guest over the TA in these situations. :)

You do realize that the marinade most likely has vinegar in it which is almost always made with wheat unless otherwise stated, right? Ketchup, mustard, and most salad dressings also have wheat ingredients unless specified as gluton free--the ones in DCL's condiment bar are not GF.

Quite a few liquors are not gluten free, especially whiskeys, some vodkas and some things like Baileys Irish Cream. Glad I'm not celiac..

A small correction,even if you used a TA, you can call special services directly to talk about dietary and medical issues. They would actually rather speak directly to the guest over the TA in these situations. :)

Thanks for the correction--in the "old days" of the "medical form," the TA had to call but the guest could do the medical form on line. I suspect that the rule change went along with the "medical form" being changed to "request for special services."

Yes, it definitely makes more sense to talk with the guest or parent directly rather than routing thru a TA.

This is why per my notes, its extremely important to indicate a medical need versus a dietary request. If you are on a gluten free diet by preference, the amount in a marinade will probably not be noticeable. But if you are severe celiac, it could be a big problem.

I was on the Fantasy in January. They had gf pasta, rolls, muffins, donuts, etc. The first night the head server for our dining room brought me 2 gf chocolate chip muffins and donuts. I requested them at breakfast thereafter and they would bring them to me (they had both blueberry and chocolate chip muffins as well as glazed and brown sugar donuts - and they warmed them). I most definitely had gf seafood pasta one night (no rice, actual pasta). Yes, desserts were lacking, but if you insisted they would bring you creme brulee from wherever dining location had it that night, I had the carmel apple sundae without the churros, etc. Oh, and they had gf pancakes and waffles at breakfast. You just had to ask.

I was on the Fantasy in January. They had gf pasta, rolls, muffins, donuts, etc. The first night the head server for our dining room brought me 2 gf chocolate chip muffins and donuts. I requested them at breakfast thereafter and they would bring them to me (they had both blueberry and chocolate chip muffins as well as glazed and brown sugar donuts - and they warmed them). I most definitely had gf seafood pasta one night (no rice, actual pasta). Yes, desserts were lacking, but if you insisted they would bring you creme brulee from wherever dining location had it that night, I had the carmel apple sundae without the churros, etc. Oh, and they had gf pancakes and waffles at breakfast. You just had to ask.

Great news! Thanks! I've never had GF pasta or doughnuts! Looking forward to trying. : )

Great news! Thanks! I've never had GF pasta or doughnuts! Looking forward to trying. : )

Glad that helps. If it's not on your reservation, it's good to have it noted so they now. And then mention it right away to your head server the first night at dinner. They will have you pre-order your meal for the next night, anything you want and they do their best to make it gf. You can also pre-order breakfast if you want. I never did, just waited a bit longer some mornings but that was no big deal. :)

That's very good news, my wife wasn't too concerned about pre-trip notice (being sensitive over autoimmune) but clearly calling DCL in advance is the best mechanism to making sure you have a fulfilling trip. I'm glad to hear from DaliaRW that this was available.

Thanx for the info. Disney rep told us they have it, but we've learned otherwise on some cruiselines, so it's good to hear it from someone who's had it onboard! Can you also obtain GF toast, etc at Cabanas for breakfast? Do you have to pre-order it there also, or just wait a bit longer? Do you know if they offer GF cereal?

[ QUOTE=DahliaRW;41905581]Glad that helps. If it's not on your reservation, it's good to have it noted so they now. And then mention it right away to your head server the first night at dinner. They will have you pre-order your meal for the next night, anything you want and they do their best to make it gf. You can also pre-order breakfast if you want. I never did, just waited a bit longer some mornings but that was no big deal. :)

Thanx for the info. Disney rep told us they have it, but we've learned otherwise on some cruiselines, so it's good to hear it from someone who's had it onboard! Can you also obtain GF toast, etc at Cabanas for breakfast? Do you have to pre-order it there also, or just wait a bit longer? Do you know if they offer GF cereal?

[ QUOTE=DahliaRW;41905581]Glad that helps. If it's not on your reservation, it's good to have it noted so they now. And then mention it right away to your head server the first night at dinner. They will have you pre-order your meal for the next night, anything you want and they do their best to make it gf. You can also pre-order breakfast if you want. I never did, just waited a bit longer some mornings but that was no big deal. :)

I never asked about toast. We only did breakfast in Cabanas one morning and I just ate what looked safe (I'm not highly sensitive, I only have issues if I have a few bites of something like bread, so minor cross contamination or a small amount of gluten in soy sauce is not an issue). I much prefer breakfast in the MDRs. That is where I got the gf muffins and donuts. But, you can ask in Cabanas. They probably have something. As for cereal I didn't look simply because I'm not a big fan of cereal, but I didn't notice any off hand.

thank you. Appreciate u taking time to offer the info.

I never asked about toast. We only did breakfast in Cabanas one morning and I just ate what looked safe (I'm not highly sensitive, I only have issues if I have a few bites of something like bread, so minor cross contamination or a small amount of gluten in soy sauce is not an issue). I much prefer breakfast in the MDRs. That is where I got the gf muffins and donuts. But, you can ask in Cabanas. They probably have something. As for cereal I didn't look simply because I'm not a big fan of cereal, but I didn't notice any off hand.