Advice on What to Wear for a Cruise out of NYC in October

I'm cruising out of NYC in October. I really would love your opinions on what to wear. We'll be there pre-cruise 2 days. I'm not sure what the temperatures are like in NYC in the Fall, so not sure what to pack. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated from the fashionista's ;)

I normally like to dress comfortable. For the plane ride I normally will wear a really casual two piece suit with cute flats. I change at the hotel for sightseeing or other activities that are planned :)

What do I need to bring and what can be left at home? I'm from Michigan, so I'm use to changing weather conditions at the drop of a hat :D

I'm cruising out of NYC in October. I really would love your opinions on what to wear. We'll be there pre-cruise 2 days. I'm not sure what the temperatures are like in NYC in the Fall, so not sure what to pack. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated from the fashionista's ;)

I normally like to dress comfortable. For the plane ride I normally will wear a really casual two piece suit with cute flats. I change at the hotel for sightseeing or other activities that are planned :)

What do I need to bring and what can be left at home? I'm from Michigan, so I'm use to changing weather conditions at the drop of a hat :D

NYC generally in Oct will be very nice.. overnight lows in the 40's and daytime highs in the low 70's. but, then it could quickly turn crappy. most of the weather sites have a 10, 5, weekend forecast which is very accurate.

Chances are pretty good that the weather will be mild on departure day, but don't forget that once the ship starts moving, it will feel much cooler. It is so worth being out on deck for the entire NY departure; if it were me I'd have a warmish/wind repellant jacket ready.

Apart from that, what else you take will depend on where you'll be sailing. North to Canada/New England? Bermuda? Bahamas/Caribbean?

October in NYC is a crapshoot. Chances are it will be lovely, but it could also be in the 90's, raining, in the 40's, or even snowing. I would have several options that can all be layered lined up, and choose a few days before you leave once you know what the weather will be.

Thanks Sherlock43031, got it, be ready for Michigan weather :D

Ship geeks, We do plan on being on deck for sail aw way with a dod in hand, ;) great advice!! Will look for a packable wind jacket (warm), to the Caribbean

Thanks for the suggestions duck lite, I'm sure there will be opportunities to purchase anything that I can't find at home, at least I hope so, :p I don't mind shopping!!!

Thanks everyone, I know I have some time to get things in order I just like prepare in advance.......

Temperatures vary, but it's usually in the 60s range. We cruised out of NYC 10/24/13 and the temperatures really dropped right before we left. You definitely need a winter coat, gloves, etc if you plan to be on the upper decks for sail away. The winds were high and I was freezing.

Sherlock43031 - I'm near Lansing, about 80 miles from Detroit

Thanks 092306 :eek: I will plan accordingly and keep an eye on the weather reports;)

Thanks again to all for the advice and suggestions, looking forward visiting NYC and cruising from this beautiful city :D

I'm from Michigan as well (near the D). It will be like we are used to here....you just can't predict. I would pack similar to what I did for Alaska/Iceland----lots of layers. And, a raincoat with a lining.

Thanks so much for the response LindaM :D

I just did want to pack alot of unnecessary items, I will find a nice warm waterproof packable jacket and I should be all set :)

Thanks again everyone for the responses, Cruise Critic members are AWESOME!!!!;)

Hi scooby,

Weather is never ever predictable here! One day it's 19* and snowing! the next day it's 65* and sunny (this just happened yesterday and today).

October is usually nice, but look at what happened a year ago on October 29th....Superstorm Sandy. People are still rebuilding their homes, some have given up and it's over a year later.

Edited to add: This was a freak storm!!!! I didn't mean to scare you!!!!!!!!!

You are going to have beautiful weather with calm seas!!!!!

Wait until your date is closer and then check weather.com!

Hope you have a great cruise :)

Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Edited by meatball_nyc

Thanks so much meatball_nyc, for the advice, I will definitely used it :)

You are absolutely right, and no worries, you didn't scare me;)

Sound exactly like the weather that we have here in Michigan:eek:

Yesterday it was almost below zero and today it's almost 55 degrees:p