sea sickness patch

johno95

when waters get rough, i see various people wearing a patch on their neck or wherever. i don't think they brought the patches with them. where do they get them? do they have to bring a prescription? is there a charge? yada yada...

fill me in, please.

That would be the Scopolomine patch. They are only available by prescription and they would, indeed have brought them on board with them. While one might be able to get one from the doctor on board (and would be very expensive), one would more likely receive meclizine tablets, or an injectable (if the situation warranted it).

when waters get rough, i see various people wearing a patch on their neck or wherever. i don't think they brought the patches with them. where do they get them? do they have to bring a prescription? is there a charge? yada yada...

fill me in, please.

Yes, it's a prescription motion sickness remedy. Well, in many countries, I think it OTC in Canada. scopolamine is the medication and you have to be real careful to wash you hands after handling the patch (putting it on) as getting the medication in your eyes will dilate your eyes. Dry mouth, blurry vision are common side effects from it. But it can also cause disorientation in some people.

It's pretty hefty medication and does have side effects, so I think of it as a last resort when medicating for motion sickness. I believe that they would have to had brought the patches with them, as I'm not sure the onboard doctors have them. I know some cruiselines doctors have generic meclizine (Bonine) to hand out. And there is some kind of one time shot they can give for extreme cases.

fill me in, please.

Yes we bring them with us.

The medical facility on most ships has sea sickness medicine of different intensities. They often have non-prescription level stuff that is handed out for free, but since sea sickness meds tend to work better at preventing sea sickness than curing it - it makes more sense to bring your own.

Then usually they also have a heavier duty medication for serious sea sickness - but it has to be given to you by the doctor, which means a charge AND it will really knock you out. You wont be walking around the ship but will be in your cabin asleep.

IF you are prone to sea sickness, bring it with you.

I checked the marine forecast for our cruise starting on Wednesday - it calls for rough seas. My husband will put his patch on the night before so by the time he boards the medication will be in his system. Luckily he doesn't get any of the side effects. I do so I'll start taking my ginger and bonine that morning.

fill me in, please.

Please be aware these patches are not good for everyone as they do have side effects. I used them once and never again as my mouth got so dry I literally could not swallow and my vision was so effected I could not read the menu.

Be very careful before you try something like this. I would look into something over the counter like Bonine.....or ginger tablets......or sea bands.