Explorer OS - Hump or No Hump?

Looking for advice on which OS to choose on Explorer.

There's a resident discount for our sailing (April 5, 2014), so we just upgraded from an inside to an OS. :eek:

We grabbed 1314 for the moment, which is on the front of the hump. 1320, on the back of the hump, is also available, but we chose 1314 because I usually prefer the front. There are also a couple of non-hump OS available - 1600 and 1608. We are trying to decide whether to stick with 1314 or switch to one of the non-hump ones.

I've been trying to research the rooms, but I keep finding conflicting reports about the size of the rooms and the balconies. I was wondering if the hump room and balconies are basically the same size as those not on the hump, and whether the balconies on 1314 and 1320 are the same size (I'd presume so since each room is half of the hump, but I saw a couple reviews that said 1320 was larger). Usually the hump is pretty desirable so mostly I'm wondering if there's a reason the non-hump rooms are selling faster than the hump rooms on Explorer. I know the OS balconies are fairly small for a suite, but I've seen videos of the OS balconies and they are large enough for me; however, I haven't found any videos of the hump OS balconies, so I don't know if the hump ones are any different.

If anyone has any info or opinions on hump vs non-hump OS, or about 1314 in particular, I'd love to hear it. I know 1314 is a connecting room, which I don't love, but I'm willing to deal with it for a prime hump location.

Thanks! :)

Robin: I don't know about 1314 but we just had 1320 and the balcony was deeper than the normal one. Our friends were in 1300 and ours was deeper.

Sandy

Thanks, Sandy!

I'm considering switching to 1320 - I found some deck plans where it does seem like 1320 is more centered on the hump and therefore has a bigger balcony than 1314. They were not the official Royal deck plans, though, so who knows if they're accurate.

All this angst over a balcony it'll probably be too cold to use. :D I'm sure I will love the cabin either way.

Thanks, Sandy!

I'm considering switching to 1320 - I found some deck plans where it does seem like 1320 is more centered on the hump and therefore has a bigger balcony than 1314. They were not the official Royal deck plans, though, so who knows if they're accurate.

All this angst over a balcony it'll probably be too cold to use. :D I'm sure I will love the cabin either way.

I would be surprised if there is a significant difference between 1314 and 1320.

Thanks, Sandy!

Looking at the diagram in the book, it looks like the balconies for 1314 and 1320 would be the same size. We loved the location for 1320 because it was right by the elevators but the door is right by the opening for the stairs and elevators so not as private as 1314. If both cabins had been available, we would have taken 1314 because it is the mirror image of 1320 and that is the

bed set up we would have wanted. You can't go wrong with either one.

We are on the March 29th cruise and get off when you get on and we intend to be on the balcony. It will be fine.

Have a great time.

Sandy

We have had 1314 and 1320 and they are the same size. We are in 1320 on our upcoming cruise in June and our friends are in 1314. Both of the rooms are about a foot deeper than the other non-hump Owners Suites. That includes a deeper balcony. Our friends had a non-hump OS and it was noticeable. The difference is slight, only about a foot, but it was nice to have. Note that 1314 is a connecting cabin with a JS, so there will be a little wall space lost to the door. It was very quiet though and in a great location.

Eric

Edited by Pomperaugrr

Thank you so much, everyone! I think we are going to stick with 1314, but I feel a lot more comfortable about my choice now. :)

I just checked room availability for my sailing and the only OS left is 1320. I still find it hard to believe people pass up the hump rooms.

Cigar King, believe it or not, I'm one of the few people who doesn't like the aft balconies. I mean, the balconies themselves are great, but I like to see where I'm going. :D That's one of the reasons I'd rather be on the front of the hump rather than the back.

Eric/Pomperaugrr, I just had to say, every time I see the picture of the cat in the lime helmet, it makes me laugh. every. single. time. And I'm glad to know the room is quiet even with the connecting door!

Now I can stop stressing about our Explorer cabin, and move on to stalking the Royal website for upgrades for our Quantum cabin. ;)