Should I drive the whole 18 hours?

Ceblake

I'm so amazed by how arrogant some people on CC are.

-we would never drive we always fly

-if we can't stay in a suite we would rather not go

-we never eat in the MDR we book specialty restaurants every night

-we won't sit with folks who don't dress formal on formal night

-we hate young families with kids

-yadda, yadda..

Edited by Sherlock43031

-yadda, yadda..

This is exactly what I gathered about some people while reading posts on cc.

seriously not making a 2k mile round trip is going to make your tires last how much longer? hell, I use to drive over 2k a month just going back and forth to work. most newer cars the first tune-up isn't until 100k miles.

some of your folks are so silly.. why beat up on someone who wants to drive? not everyone automatically thinks plane every time they go somewhere I only think plane when driving is out of the question.

at my age I pay cash for my cars and frankly worrying about not taking a trip because it might affect maint cost or trade in value is something that would never cross my mind. we currently own 3 one for her, one for me and a special occasion ride (which y son will get one day). when either of the 2 get's long in the tooth generally a grandkid or some other deserving young relative gets a freebie.

If you have to replace a set of $125 tires after 60,000 miles ($600 after balancing and disposal charges), that 2,000 mile trip costs $20 in tire usage; and $18 towards a 5,000 mile $45 oil change; as well as $300 depreciation - figuring a $30,000 car run into the ground after 200,000 miles: say about $340 more than the $250 spent on gasoline (say 28 miles per gallon of $3.50 gasoline).

I am not saying that these costs make it more economical to fly than drive - just that ignoring the true costs of driving - more than twice what the gasoline costs - does not make sense.

Expedia lists a Spirit Air non-stop flight (2 hours, 42 minutes) from BWI to FLL during the Easter week time period for $268. per person round trip.

Plus all the add on fees Spirit charges.

-yadda, yadda..

Not sure why you would consider some of that arrogant. Different strokes. How people choose to spend their money really shouldn't matter, as it has zero impact on you.

If you have to replace a set of $125 tires after 60,000 miles ($600 after balancing and disposal charges), that 2,000 mile trip costs $20 in tire usage; and $18 towards a 5,000 mile $45 oil change; as well as $300 depreciation - figuring a $30,000 car run into the ground after 200,000 miles: say about $340 more than the $250 spent on gasoline (say 28 miles per gallon of $3.50 gasoline).

I am not saying that these costs make it more economical to fly than drive - just that ignoring the true costs of driving - more than twice what the gasoline costs - does not make sense.

give it a break already, most normal people would not stay home from a vacation so their tires will last another 2k miles or be concerned that they might have to replace their tires a month earlier next year instead of taking a family vacation. just think how many less rolls to TP you need to buy every year if you would force yourself to only crap every other day. not to mention how much you would save on your water bill. then there is the wear and tear on the fixtures they should last twice as long only crapping every other day. some of you people should get out in the real world.

Edited by Sherlock43031

Not sure why you would consider some of that arrogant. Different strokes. How people choose to spend their money really shouldn't matter, as it has zero impact on you.

fine for them but you see these in responses to newbie questions.. someone asks about food and they will be told 'well, it's so bad I don't eat there anymore so it like saying if you can't upgrade at $70 a day stay home or the person that ask about an interior room and you always get those folks that say I only sail suite or I don't sail.. as if an interior room is like something to be ashamed of. so, why do they care how this lady get's to FL? even looking up flights and one guy saying it will take 4 days and another insisting her car you be ruined with another couple of thousand miles.

if it wasn't for all us folks up north driving to Orlando how many folks do you think would be out of a job?

Edited by Sherlock43031

I've driven from NY to Ft. Lauderdale many times. Half the time I have stopped on the way and the other half I've driven straight through.

Never have I planned where I was going to stop for the night. It all depends on traffic, how tired I was and what time I would fall asleep and have to leave the hotel the next day.

If I were you I would drive until I felt like I needed to call it a night. Remember you may feel like a zombie the next day so if you have to get up and drive you may be miserable but if you can get all the way to ft. lauderdale you will have time to relax.

Just listen to what your body is telling you, either way try to hit major cities off rush hour. What day of the week are you traveling?

Plus, another reason to drive is that you won't have to sit on a plane next to all the scientists and accountants who have been debating on projectiles and tire depreciation...

I almost want to never go on cruise critic again after reading some of the insane off topic posts on this thread.

Edited by Jtm2233

I've driven from NY to Ft. Lauderdale many times. Half the time I have stopped on the way and the other half I've driven straight through.

Never have I planned where I was going to stop for the night. It all depends on traffic, how tired I was and what time I would fall asleep and have to leave the hotel the next day.

If I were you I would drive until I felt like I needed to call it a night. Remember you may feel like a zombie the next day so if you have to get up and drive you may be miserable but if you can get all the way to ft. lauderdale you will have time to relax.

Just listen to what your body is telling you, either way try to hit major cities off rush hour. What day of the week are you traveling?

We are leaving on a Friday around 3pm. And driving through the night. Between 6 drivers rotating out between 2 cars.

$125 SET of tires? I guess my tires last longer because they're $125 EACH.

Change the oil a month sooner. Big deal.

A lot of the cheap flights people talk about are Jet Blue. They don't fly out of Kansas City or Des Moines. Too bad, because they're a great deal for the East coast crew.

I get those "Ding" notices for southwest. $49 one way.....blah blah blah. They're only to specific places, rarely out of an airport here, and you can only travel on certain days. Sure, you saved on airfare, but now you have to take a few more days vacation, spend a few extra nights in a hotel, extra food, etc . Just so you can fly on the cheap day/flight. Just doesn't work.

I am usually in favor of flying ! But it is SO much cheaper if you can drive it.

$125 SET of tires? I guess my tires last longer because they're $125 EACH.

Change the oil a month sooner. Big deal.

A lot of the cheap flights people talk about are Jet Blue. They don't fly out of Kansas City or Des Moines. Too bad, because they're a great deal for the East coast crew.

I get those "Ding" notices for southwest. $49 one way.....blah blah blah. They're only to specific places, rarely out of an airport here, and you can only travel on certain days. Sure, you saved on airfare, but now you have to take a few more days vacation, spend a few extra nights in a hotel, extra food, etc . Just so you can fly on the cheap day/flight. Just doesn't work.

I am usually in favor of flying ! But it is SO much cheaper if you can drive it.

They said $125 with is being $600 after balancing so I think they meant per tire. That's about what I paid for the last set on my Toyota. The tires on the roadster are $350 per. Ouch.

I thought they meant per SET. My BMW tires as well as the SUV are almost $200 each. They make cheaper, but we choose the kind that's on it instead. The tires on my daughter's charger are $125 and my son's mustang are $150.

I guess I drive ALOT. My business is in our basement, so no commute, but there's 25 miles between towns here. 28 miles to a Wal Mart, 90 miles to the city, etc. All of our away football & basketball games are at least 40-90 minutes in other towns. Nothing negative towards 'city' folks, but Midwesterners are use to driving. I think that's why we don't think so much of hopping in the car to go somewhere. My city sister in law complains about traveling all the time. Her now grown kids were horrible travelers because they never left the city & had to. If she had to go 30 miles you'd think it was the end of the earth.

I think it just depends what you're use to.

I thought they meant per SET. My BMW tires as well as the SUV are almost $200 each. They make cheaper, but we choose the kind that's on it instead. The tires on my daughter's charger are $125 and my son's mustang are $150.

I guess I drive ALOT. My business is in our basement, so no commute, but there's 25 miles between towns here. 28 miles to a Wal Mart, 90 miles to the city, etc. All of our away football & basketball games are at least 40-90 minutes in other towns. Nothing negative towards 'city' folks, but Midwesterners are use to driving. I think that's why we don't think so much of hopping in the car to go somewhere. My city sister in law complains about traveling all the time. Her now grown kids were horrible travelers because they never left the city & had to. If she had to go 30 miles you'd think it was the end of the earth.

I think it just depends what you're use to.

I think there's a difference between driving a couple hours each way with a diversion in between and 18+ hours non-stop.

There is, but for those of us who have to drive 2 hours to get anywhere, it might be less of an issue.

I know people who drive 2 hours to get to work one way, every single day and have for years. That is sometimes 200 miles each day. To them, the 18 hour drive will be much less that to the person who rarely drives, or. You small amounts.

Agreed algebralovr. :)

My husband is a paramedic. They sometimes make 2 trips to the city on transfers each day. That's 6 hours roundtrip each time. It's nothing for him to be on the road 3-6-12 hours a day depending on where they go. (22 miles to the nearest hospital).

It is much easier for him to make a long road trip than it is for me. I can do a 4 hour one way trip easy, beyond that & I get tired.

A couple summers ago we drove straight through to Huntsville Alabama. It was 12 hours. It was a long day, but definitely doable.

I guess I would never recommend a long road trip right off the bat, but it can be done if needed.

My family is doing the same drive from MD to FL around the same time frame. Air fair is crazy and it is cheaper to drive. Matter fact we take the drive at least once a year. Going and coming back is not a big problem. Matter fact coming back is the best part. Why you ask, we are not on any time restrictions we stop in every state to eat. Breakfast in FL, snacks in GA, lunch in SC gotta have more snacks in NC by the time we hit VA my kids know its dinner time. So its not hard, and its much cheaper than flying.. enjoy your trip because we surely are. :)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Thank you! Enjoy your trip as well! I will be teaching my son all the cute little songs that I use to sing with my parents on long trips..."she'll be coming round the mountain when she comes", "John brown's baby had a cough upon her chest". Just fun "camp fire" songs to make the time pass.

I'm 35 and he is 74 (you would never know he is 74!) But I guess I should break it up for the sake of being able to rest and relax. I have no idea how my four year old will be. : )

I am 73, take my advice and break the drive so you can enjoy the cruise!

Edited by cruise10000

I haven't read all that has been said on this thread, so I may be repeating someone. I would recommend making it a 2-day drive & stop somewhere in South Carolina. Use tripadvisor to find a decent cheap motel. It's just a place to sleep anyway. I have been able to find many good motels for around $40-$50 throughout the country, that aren't bug infested nor a hub for drugs, etc. I don't have to always stay at a Hilton or Marriott. Sometimes, Motel 6 works great. Plus, bring your own food that you've bought from the store. Bring a cooler for drinks that you buy from the store. Eat out once a day at the most, and keep that cheap as well. No reason to sit down for fine dining on a road trip. Fast food will work.

Depending on your car's gas mileage, the cost of gas could be as little as or even less than 10 cents a mile. Wear & tear & value of the car lost (if you buy new) would be anywhere from 15-35 cents a mile, so that 56 cents I saw earlier is on the high end, or it's taking into account more expensive cars & bigger vehicles that get worse mileage. My little Honda Fit is about 24 cents a mile, including everything. For most people, it would be more than that, especially if you have to take a larger vehicle. Even if you do, at the airfare you have, it will still be much cheaper to drive, especially if you play it smart with food & motels.

Taking the extra day going & coming will make it more enjoyable. On my last cruise, it was about a 19-hour drive to the port. It was never a thought to do all but a few hours in just 1 day. We did the drive in 2 full days. My first Florida cruise, we didn't do it too smart. To try to save money, we switched off driving & sleeping, trying to cover about 18 hours worth of driving in 24 hours. We were able to do it without any problems, but we wouldn't do that ever again.

Edited by k2excursion

I am 73, take my advice and break the drive so you can enjoy the cruise!

My mom is 83. Every year she spends the summer in Vancouver so one of us drives her up from LA and flies home then flies up and drives her back home (so she can have her car and her dogs). We've been doing this for her for around 20 years. She did it herself before that. When I drive I have simple rules. I stop for gas and for potty breaks (at rest areas). We bring food and drink with us. I stop when I get tired which is usually 2/3rds of the way, depending on weather. When I stop for gas my mother has a choice of what she wants to do: 1) go potty 2) walk the dogs or 3) have a cigarette. She usually chooses 3. When the car is full we leave. We leave home very early and usually drive between 700 to 1000 miles the first day. The second day is then only 300-600 miles. As has been said before, it's all about what you are used to.

Edited by notentirelynormal

I haven't read all that has been said on this thread, so I may be repeating someone. I would recommend making it a 2-day drive & stop somewhere in South Carolina. Use tripadvisor to find a decent cheap motel. It's just a place to sleep anyway. I have been able to find many good motels for around $40-$50 throughout the country, that aren't bug infested nor a hub for drugs, etc. I don't have to always stay at a Hilton or Marriott. Sometimes, Motel 6 works great. Plus, bring your own food that you've bought from the store. Bring a cooler for drinks that you buy from the store. Eat out once a day at the most, and keep that cheap as well. No reason to sit down for fine dining on a road trip. Fast food will work.

Depending on your car's gas mileage, the cost of gas could be as little as or even less than 10 cents a mile. Wear & tear & value of the car lost (if you buy new) would be anywhere from 15-35 cents a mile, so that 56 cents I saw earlier is on the high end, or it's taking into account more expensive cars & bigger vehicles that get worse mileage. My little Honda Fit is about 24 cents a mile, including everything. For most people, it would be more than that, especially if you have to take a larger vehicle. Even if you do, at the airfare you have, it will still be much cheaper to drive, especially if you play it smart with food & motels.

Taking the extra day going & coming will make it more enjoyable. On my last cruise, it was about a 19-hour drive to the port. It was never a thought to do all but a few hours in just 1 day. We did the drive in 2 full days. My first Florida cruise, we didn't do it too smart. To try to save money, we switched off driving & sleeping, trying to cover about 18 hours worth of driving in 24 hours. We were able to do it without any problems, but we wouldn't do that ever again.

Problem with stopping in South Carolina is that you would still have a nine hour drive to Fort Lauderdale -- meaning a very, very early start or risk missing ship. Anything north of Jacksonville would be a problem. An 18 hour drive straight through would mean leaving home no later than seven PM the evening before to arrive by one PM on embarkation date (you need to leave a little wiggle room) -- and you would start the cruise dragging.