Help with POM area hotels

juneybugel

I thought I'd come to the experts! Doing research for a Norwegian Pearl cruise out of Port of Miami in Feb 2015 (yes, I'm anxious!). We are going to be using air miles (it's Canadian) so don't need to worry about price. Would like to be close to the POM and close to transportation to south beach, i.e. public transit, etc. to avoid the $30 cab fare. We'd like a nice hotel within walking distance to reasonably priced restaurants. We're spending 2 days pre-cruise and 3 days post-cruise. Have thought about staying in 2 different hotels but still can't choose. I think I've narrowed it down to these 4:

Intercontinental Biscayne Bay

Doubletree Biscayne Bay

Hilton Downtown

Hampton Inn & Suites Downtown Miami Brickell

Can anyone help with choosing?!! Thanks.

Rhonda

I would split your stay. First 2 days at those mentioned in your post. The Intercontinental is by the waterfront and a quick 5 min walk to Bayside Mall for small shopping and many restaurants. There too you can pick up tours during the day. It's a very quick $12 ride to the port. Hampton Inn in Brickell is a real nice area too. Not by water tho, if htat's of interest.

Then if you want to see South Beach look at hotels there for the post cruise time. They range in cost, amenities etc, so you need to decide what is impt. Especially in Feb...rates can be REAL high at some. Look at hotels at Lincoln Road and south to really be in the sobe area. The area is totally walkable with lots to do and see for more than just a day visit from Miami.

I Agee. I would split this up. Intercontinental is more of a luxury hotel but Hampton Inn does a nice job and includes breakfast and is just a few minutes from Mary Brickell Village which much nicer restaurants and reasonably priced restaurants than Bayside which the Intercontinental is closer to. Also look at the Marriott Marquis in lieu of Intercontinental. Much newer.

If you plan to use miles for hotels South Beach hotels might be a challenge. Otherwise, if Miles is not an issue than South Beach would be great for your post cruise stay. If that is not possible then select one of the other hotels on your list for your post cruise.

Keith

I thought I'd come to the experts! Doing research for a Norwegian Pearl cruise out of Port of Miami in Feb 2015 (yes, I'm anxious!). We are going to be using air miles (it's Canadian) so don't need to worry about price. Would like to be close to the POM and close to transportation to south beach, i.e. public transit, etc. to avoid the $30 cab fare. We'd like a nice hotel within walking distance to reasonably priced restaurants. We're spending 2 days pre-cruise and 3 days post-cruise. Have thought about staying in 2 different hotels but still can't choose. I think I've narrowed it down to these 4:

Intercontinental Biscayne Bay

Doubletree Biscayne Bay

Hilton Downtown

Hampton Inn & Suites Downtown Miami Brickell

Can anyone help with choosing?!! Thanks.

Rhonda

Can't speak for the Doubletree but the other three on your list are all close to the people movers (free) which gives you access to light rail . You could get all the way to these hotels from the airport without a taxi if you wantd to. Regardless, they are close to public transportation. I have stayed at the Hilton, IC and also Holiday Inn POM.

Thse are all good choices. I stay at the Doubletree when in Miami on business (corporate deal) and love the hotel (except for the valet only parking :() -- big rooms, some with a view of POM, great pool area, and the restaurant/bar in the lobby is good for seafood/carribean style meals, or walk 2 blocks to Bin 18 (18th and Biscayne) for great tapas and an extensive wine and craft beer list. :D

Great help everyone, thank you so much. That Mariott looks wonderful unfortunately the Mariott hotel chain not available with the air miles :o( Am taking all the suggestions into consideration.

Rhonda