Best Ways to Save Money on Drinks

Buy the wine by the bottle. It will cost a lot less than $7 a glass. If you ask them to pour you a glass each and then store the bottle then it will last a few days.

Also, buy the beets as a bucket. Depending on what you drink you could make that $24 buy you 6 bottles. Unless prices have gone up since last year, bottles of things like Sam Adams cost about $5. You can mix and match so you can get three bottles each if you drink different things.

If you really want to save money, and are prepared to be a bit flexible with what you drink to do so then replace one or two of the drinks during the day with beers and drink a little more wine in the evening. That way you could get the Viva Vino package which saves a lot of money (more than the 15% quoted earlier - more like 30%).

I general drink beer and wine, and get a bottle of wine plus a bucket of beer for less than the daily cost of the UBP. It also means you don't lose out if you don'd drink some days.

Thank you! Those tops are really helpful. I was under the impression that beers were $6, but $5 plus a free one makes it even better. Are beer buckets available all day and night and at any bar?

Is the Viva Vino package offered during Spring Break? If so, how exactly does it work? I didnt even look into it because I figured no alcohol packages were available then? How many "glasses" according to the way NCL pours would you say youd get out of a bottle of wine?

here's the info for a bar set up~ yes it's a bit pricey! I have also done rum runners with success~ it's all in how you pack them!!

These alcoholic beverages are sold as bar set up amenity orders. Available on all ships excluding pride of america.

Please note: Pricing from nov. 2013

bar set-up is available for all stateroom categories.

Bar set-up is available for purchase onboard but you will be charged 15% on top of the price of the bottle instead of the $3 service fee.

Bar set-up must be pre-arranged before the voyage and can be requested up to the day prior to sailing.

Prices are subject to change. Service fee of $3.00 per bottle will be applied. 1.800.327.7030

bourbon/whiskey

seagram's 7 crown $80 1 ltr

jack daniel's black $100 1 ltr

crown royal special reserve $100 750 ml

cognac

courvoisier vs $120 750 ml

rémy martin v.s.o.p $100 700 ml

gin

beefeater $80 1 ltr

bombay sapphire $100 1 ltr

liqueurs

baileys irish cream $100 1 ltr

southern comfort $100 1 ltr

disaronno amaretto $100 1 ltr

godiva chocolate $100 750 ml

grand marnier $100 1 ltr

kahlua $100 1 ltr

rum

bacardi superior $80 1 ltr

captain morgan $80 1 ltr

scotch whiskey

j&b rare $80 1 ltr

glenfiddich $100 1 ltr

chivas regal $100 1 ltr

jw black $123 980 ml

tequila

cuervo gold $80 1 ltr

1800 reposado $100 750 ml

don julio reposado $120 750 ml

vodka

smirnoff $80 1 ltr

absolut $100 1 ltr

absolut citron $100 1 ltr

absolut apeach $100 1 ltr

grey goose $120 1 ltr

grey goose l'orange $120 1 ltr

grey goose la poire $120 1 ltr

when guests purchase a bottle of liquor they can choose 3 garnishes and 3 mixers from the list below once they arrive onboard. **** mixers consist of 3~ 12 oz cans ~ so bring your own!!

• bloody mary mix • apple slices• pepsi• banana• club soda• carrot• cranberry juice• celery• diet pepsi

• lemon slices• grapefruit juice• lime slices• orange juice• maraschino cherries• pineapple juice• tonic •orange slices• sierra mist• peppers• sweet and sour mix• pineapple wedges• tomato juice• pitted olives • strawberries

i love this option!!!

Couple things ... no harm intended, but if I tried to drink that much, I would pass out well before the end of that list!!!

Wine is cheaper by the bottle over by the glass. If you like, the bottle can stay in the restaurant with all your info and you can get it back on another night. It can move to a different restaurant too, say you order it on Tuesday in the MDR, you can get it Wednesday in Le Bistro. Be sure to save your tag for it though!

I do not smuggle but I don't know how anyone gets caught. Last month, we brought a case of water bottles and at the last minute decided we didn't want the hassle of carting it around. We broke the case open and hurriedly tossed about 6 bottles into one of our suitcases and a couple into my carry on. I fully expected to be flagged for possible smuggling. Nope, no problem. I was very surprised!

No harm taken! I have friends who are pretty drunk after 2 glasses of wine. AS much as I like ENJOYING my drinks, I almost wish I was more of a lightweight, it's cheaper! Haha But oh, well.

I didnt know that about the bottles of wine. I will absolutely be doing that. Can you just order it on your first night of dinner - we'll be at cagneys- and then just tell them to tag it and do we have to tell them where we'll be the next night at that point? According to the way NCL pours, about how many glasses would you say you get from one bottle?

I keep considering this rum runner thing, but Im so social, I dont know if I would even end up drinking in my room. I think Id forget that it was in my bag! lol

Not to belabor the point but: (of course here I go) if you deduct 1st day bloody marys and drinks by the pool on shore excursion days, you would be close to cost of UBP.

Unfortunately, in your case, prepaying for a UBP sure would have taken away angst of having to monitor what you're spending if on a tight budget.

Sounds like you guys are very responsible and happy that you are tackling this issue proactively.

True, I considered that about excursion days, but will still probably have a few drinks in Nassau and Port Canaveral - our only two ports that arent NCL so will probably end up evening out again. More or Less

But exactly, it was all about not having to worry about it. As I'm sure you can tell, I get a lot of anxiety haha, I laugh about it, but I really do- and I just wanted EVERTHING taken care of ahead of time so I didnt have to worry about it. Thanks to all of you guys for all your helpful tips though, its amazing. And, we try to be responsible, yes :D;)

Thank you! Those tops are really helpful. I was under the impression that beers were $6, but $5 plus a free one makes it even better. Are beer buckets available all day and night and at any bar?

Is the Viva Vino package offered during Spring Break? If so, how exactly does it work? I didnt even look into it because I figured no alcohol packages were available then? How many "glasses" according to the way NCL pours would you say youd get out of a bottle of wine?

Beer Buckets are available all day. I usually get them from the pool bar or o'Shaahans, but I believe they are available most places. I'm sure someone mentioned recently about getting them from the MDR.

With Viva Vino, you buy either 4, 6 or 8 bottles at the start of the cruise. There are three levels, costing $88, $98 or $108 (from memory, the expensive one may be wrong) for 4. I usually get the middle range, which includes bottles that cost up to about $38 individually (a 35% discount). There is 15% tip to add to that.

You select your wines and are given slips which you hand in whenever you want a bottle.

As mentioned above, open bottles can be stored. Again, they give you a receipt which you hand in whenever you want the wine back. Works really well.

As I never buy wine by the glass, I can't say how big the glasses they give you are I'm afraid.

Beer Buckets are available all day. I usually get them from the pool bar or o'Shaahans, but I believe they are available most places. I'm sure someone mentioned recently about getting them from the MDR.

With Viva Vino, you buy either 4, 6 or 8 bottles at the start of the cruise. There are three levels, costing $88, $98 or $108 (from memory, the expensive one may be wrong) for 4. I usually get the middle range, which includes bottles that cost up to about $38 individually (a 35% discount). There is 15% tip to add to that.

You select your wines and are given slips which you hand in whenever you want a bottle.

As mentioned above, open bottles can be stored. Again, they give you a receipt which you hand in whenever you want the wine back. Works really well.

As I never buy wine by the glass, I can't say how big the glasses they give you are I'm afraid.

Viva Vino definitely sounds like something we would do, and definitely cheaper than bringing on board, but just curious now if I can get it during Spring Break blackout time :confused:

Viva Vino definitely sounds like something we would do, and definitely cheaper than bringing on board, but just curious now if I can get it during Spring Break blackout time :confused:

Yes you can. It's only the UBP and the Corks and Caps package which aren't available.

Fireball is a cinnamon whiskey, like another poster said, it'd pretty strong, but so smooth and easy to drink. […] I hope the ship has it!

I don't think they have it. Here's a list of brands that you can find on board. It is for the UBP, and probably outdated, but it's still the most complete list I've seen:

Beverage Brands List (PDF)

For prices (always subject to change), you can look up people's photos of bar menus, for example here:

Norwegian Drink Lists

I have been on 2 NCL cruises out of NY and both times I brought a bottle of vodka onto the ship in my carry on. Both times I told the person at the security scanner that I had wine in my bag before they scanned it. Both times I was told to just go pay the corkage fee before checking in. I did also have wine so I paid the corkage fee and went on my way. Neither time did anyone ask for me to open my bag. Worst case senario is they would take the bottle and give it back at the end of the cruise. I have also brought on the tiny airplane botttles in my checked luggage (just a few) and also had no problem.

I guess we all have our own idea when it comes to honesty, but if it doesn't bother you I guess you are not the only one. I am surprised about not being asked to open the bag, when we have brought wine on, we have always showed it and been charged the corkage based on the size of the bottle.

Thanks for backing me up that $800 in drinks is NOT hard to do on a cruise ship! :D

Fireball is a cinnamon whiskey, like another poster said, it'd pretty strong, but so smooth and easy to drink. It's nothing like goldschlager or other cinnamon liquers, I had tried those and just thought I hated cinnamon, but I was wrong until I tried this. Now, I'm definitely more a beer girl, besides margaritas and pina coladas I rarely do liquor and even less do I drink liquor straight, but Fireball is an entirely different story. Ive only ever had it straight, although I'm sure in the right drink it would be divine. You must try it! :) I hope the ship has it!

This past weekend I had, for the first time, an "Angry Balls": An Angry Orchard Apple Hard Cider with a shot of Fireball whiskey. Delicious! I highly recommend it! :D

My boyfriend and I are heading on the Breakaway on March 30th. I booked the trip about 3 months ago and just found out last week that the UBP is not available during our sailing

Is it too late to rebook for a different sailing especially if you tell them about wanting the UBP?

We do the bar set up, which, though expensive, is still cheaper than buying the drink one at a time: we do take advantage of the wine package when we get on the ship and we look for drink specials. We used to bring the wine on and pay the corkage fee, but have decided it is just not worth the few $$s we save. I will add, we certainly enjoy our drinks, but now enough to justify the booze package. We also take advantage of the wine tasting and the martini tasting on some cruises.

My boyfriend and I are heading on the Breakaway on March 30th. I booked the trip about 3 months ago and just found out last week that the UBP is not available during our sailing (which is pretty frustrating because we easily would have booked a later sailing date, had we known, but whatever) Anyway, we're both decent drinkers, we don't drink heavily all the time, but when on vacation, we do drink more, and we're definitely not light weights and like to try a lot of new things (which is why the UBP would have been perfect for us).

We were budgeting all along planning on spending the allocated $400 a person for our 7 day sailing, but now I'm worried that I'm going to be so concerned during our whole vacation about what we can spend for drinks to stay within the budget that I will end up getting myself upset.

So, from you guys, what are some ways to save the most money while drinking, but still enjoy yourselves?

Cruise on Celebrity! I am not trying to be flippant and have cruised on NCL as much as any line and generally like it. That said X has been promoting a classic drink package last year and this year that can be an unbelievable value and will have us looking to them on Carribbean cruises while they offer this.

(I see that the NCL is 'copying' this for suites on some Breakaway and Getaway sailings).

We returned several months ago from the Refelection and I counted approx. 116 drinks over 7 days. This probably would have been a bar bill of 900- 1000+ as many know, drinks can add up quickly. The beauty part is that you show your cabin card no signing. We had purchased the premium package so wines to 12 dollars were included as well as cocktails to 14 I believe.

While we looked at other options for our Jan cruise next year, when one considers the value of this for moderate/heavy drinkers it was impossible for us to resist and we booked X again.

Don't know if they are making money on this but if you have experienced it

it can be a game changer- it was for us.

JMHO

Cruise on Celebrity! I am not trying to be flippant and have cruised on NCL as much as any line and generally like it. That said X has been promoting a classic drink package last year and this year that can be an unbelievable value and will have us looking to them on Carribbean cruises while they offer this.

(I see that the NCL is 'copying' this for suites on some Breakaway and Getaway sailings).

We returned several months ago from the Refelection and I counted approx. 116 drinks over 7 days. This probably would have been a bar bill of 900- 1000+ as many know, drinks can add up quickly. The beauty part is that you show your cabin card no signing. We had purchased the premium package so wines to 12 dollars were included as well as cocktails to 14 I believe.

While we looked at other options for our Jan cruise next year, when one considers the value of this for moderate/heavy drinkers it was impossible for us to resist and we booked X again.

Don't know if they are making money on this but if you have experienced it

it can be a game changer- it was for us.

JMHO

We too were on the Reflection as well, and to tell you the truth even with their drink package included for free we were bored for most of the week. We opted to try NCL this month without the UDP because they seem to have a lot more dining and entertainment choices. We will buy the soda plan, and possibly a rum runner or 2. We will make due sober on this cruise....lol.

On the other hand NCL is going to lose revenue with us not offering their drink packages, as we will watch our bar like a hawk and think twice about ordering drinks.

(I see that the NCL is 'copying' this for suites on some Breakaway and Getaway sailings).JMHO

NCL has a UBP on all their ships......just NOT during spring break and that's when the OP is sailing.

Harriet

NCL has a UBP on all their ships......just NOT during spring break and that's when the OP is sailing.

They weren't referring to UBP in general, but to promotions giving UBP as a perk (like NCL is currently doing with suites on newest two ships) - Celebrity has regularily 1-2-3-Go! promotions where their classic drink package is included and it can be upgraded to premium package for $11pp/day.

They weren't referring to UBP in general, but to promotions giving UBP as a perk (like NCL is currently doing with suites on newest two ships) - Celebrity has regularily 1-2-3-Go! promotions where their classic drink package is included and it can be upgraded to premium package for $11pp/day.

Ahhh, okay.

Harriet

I'll also add that the UBP on celebrity has more (and better) choices of included alcohol - particularly wine. Even at the lowest package level (Classic).

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Thank you ALL immensely for so much feedback. This thread has gotten so much more attention and popularity than I anticipated :D I think now, thanks to all of you- the drink specials WITHOUT souvenir cups, the drink tastings(margarita especially), cheap island drinks, beer buckets, and the viva vino package- will help us stay within our budget. i feel so much less anxiety over the situation and am confident I can enjoy myself as much as we would have with the UBP and still not break our bank accounts. Thank you again!

jacqueline,

I just looked at your profile and saw where you live. I grew up not far from there, in Bucks County.....Southampton.

Harriet

Very familiar with Southampton -I actually have to head there next week for my eyedoctor :p Small world!

This past weekend I had, for the first time, an "Angry Balls": An Angry Orchard Apple Hard Cider with a shot of Fireball whiskey. Delicious! I highly recommend it! :D

OMG! How have I never heard of this. Hard cider is BY FAR my favorite choice of alcohol, and fireball being my favorite liquor, how did I never think about combining the two. Mind Blown. :eek::D

Now just to find some fireball somewhere on that ship - Ive already noted that they have strongbow- not as god as Angry Orchard, but it will do.

They had Angry Orchard as well as Strongbow on the Getaway recently.

In case you weren't sure, they include cider in the beer buckets. We usually have three beers for me and three ciders for my wife.

Ooh, I would be SO happy if they Had Angry Orchard on the Breakaway. Also, very happy it can be included in the Beer Bucket, a regular Beer is good here and there, but cider is top of the list! Come to think of it, I think I was only looking at the draft list when I noted that they only had strongbow - hm makes me wonder how many other great beers they have in bottles! :D