Carnival Stock

pauleydm

I have owned my 100 shares of CCL stock since June 2012, and have received the OBC on 4 different cruises. Remarkably enough they won't let me use it on the free one they have given me for this upcoming May - can't blame a guy for trying:). For me it has worked out well. I am a frequent cruiser and have enjoyed receiving the OBC. I had the ability to direct the investment through my retirement account which meant I did not have to either divert money from savings or try to accumulate the money over a period of time. I say all of this because I question the value of CCL stock ownership for someone who will have to either save up the money over a period of time or purchase the stock in odd lots. This suggests very little discretionary income, which makes me question how frequently they would be able to cruise and receive the benefit of ownership. I applaud their interest in investing but would suggest they consider mutual funds or increasing their 401(k) before placing all of their investment eggs in one basket.

I would wait for a big market correction, like the one we had in 2007. My guess is that Carnival stock will be cheaper in 2016 than it is today, which is when I'm planning to buy.

In the mean time, maybe open a new bank account (like Capital One 360), and put your 1 share worth of money each month in there, earn a little interest while you're at it.

Good thing there are folks like you who know when massive corrections are coming or the notion that a specific stock will be cheaper in 2 years than today.

I've worked for a major Wall Street firm for 25 years and would never think to predict such a thing.

It's also interesting that laypeople can make recommendations online while I cannot. Oh well...

I have owned my 100 shares of CCL stock since June 2012, and have received the OBC on 4 different cruises. Remarkably enough they won't let me use it on the free one they have given me for this upcoming May - can't blame a guy for trying:). For me it has worked out well. I am a frequent cruiser and have enjoyed receiving the OBC. I had the ability to direct the investment through my retirement account which meant I did not have to either divert money from savings or try to accumulate the money over a period of time. I say all of this because I question the value of CCL stock ownership for someone who will have to either save up the money over a period of time or purchase the stock in odd lots. This suggests very little discretionary income, which makes me question how frequently they would be able to cruise and receive the benefit of ownership. I applaud their interest in investing but would suggest they consider mutual funds or increasing their 401(k) before placing all of their investment eggs in one basket.

We cruise 2 times a year:)

In the mean time, maybe open a new bank account (like Capital One 360), and put your 1 share worth of money each month in there, earn a little interest while you're at it.

Thanks, that is helpful information:)

• 1 month later...
Oh I put it in mine and my sister's name so her and her hubby can get the OBC credit also.

Does anyone know if two people own the stock can both people get the OBC? Say my mom and I jointly own 100 shares and we are sailing the same cruise but have two different booking numbers?

You must both own 100 shares to each receive it on the same cruise.

I'm pretty sure this isn't true. Because technically you both do own the 100 shares. It's not considered split at all.

I'm pretty sure you can both get it as long as you have different rooms. In fact I am sure.

When you go to sell those 100 shares purchased at 100 different times, you will have to put it on that year's tax return.

That's possibly 100 lines to send to Uncle Sam with 100 dates of purchase, 100 purchase prices, etc.

What a headache that would be.

Does anyone know if two people own the stock can both people get the OBC? Say my mom and I jointly own 100 shares and we are sailing the same cruise but have two different booking numbers?

Yes. As long as there are two booking #s you both can get it. Just send the request over at 2 different times and black out the other name when you send it. Not sure if it matters but why take chances.

When you go to sell those 100 shares purchased at 100 different times, you will have to put it on that year's tax return.

That's possibly 100 lines to send to Uncle Sam with 100 dates of purchase, 100 purchase prices, etc.

What a headache that would be.

that's not the way it works

CCL stock is floating around $40/share with a dividend of 2.58%

That's about $100 annually in dividends, so if you cruise once a year, you earn the same as the dividend

Mind you, the OBC is can not be combined with any other discounts

I bought RCCL when it dipped because of the CCL bad press

CCL is still lagging since, RCCL is up over 40%

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've had CCL stock for over 25 years. Bought it at $70 (before it split). I've used it with every fare out there...never had an issue. No limit on use and good on all of it's cruise lines. It's been very good to me. The only restriction is one per cabin so when I travel with another shareholder, we have to share the obc.

that's not the way it works

You can tell Uncle Sam that you are using averaging, but they can ask you to prove each purchase price so you DO HAVE to keep track of each purchase.

I have actually had to help some people that were told by a stockbroker to buy stocks every week for multiple years to "Average in....". One person had over 150 purchases and the commissions they paid exceeded the rise in stock prices. Who actually got rich from that? The stockbroker, of course.

The IRS said that 100% of the sales proceeds were taxable unless we could prove the actual purchase dates and the purchase prices. I found the info I needed online and reconstructed the 150+ purchases. This saved my colleage from having to pay the IRS thousands of dollars that they really didn't owe.

I'm pretty sure this isn't true. Because technically you both do own the 100 shares. It's not considered split at all.

I'm pretty sure you can both get it as long as you have different rooms. In fact I am sure.

Been there, done that many times. 100 shares per credit issued.

• 3 weeks later...
I would like to start purchasing Carnival stock. My plan is to buy 1 share of stock per week so that I can hit my 100 shares in 2 years. Is this a good plan or should I save my money until I can buy 10 shares at a time? Also, this would be my first stock purchase, so where do I go or who do I talk to to purchase the stock. Thanks in advance for any advice given:)

I would recommend reading the prospectus with the same care you would when making any investment. Unless you cruise quite frequently it is not wise to purchase carnival stock with the sole intent of getting onboard credit. Purchase it only if you consider it a wise investment separate from that perk. And if you do buy, do it as a single transaction to avoid high transaction fees.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

After my recent purchase of Carnival stock I am applying for the shareholders credit for the first time. I have 2 upcoming cruises, one Princess and one Carnival. This morning I sent the information requested to both Princess and Carnival. The Princess web site has already posted the credit to my booking. However I cannot find any place on the Carnival web site to confirm the credit. Can anyone tell me how I can confirm my OBC with Carnival? Thank you

I've worked for a major Wall Street firm for 25 years and would never think to predict such a thing.

It's also interesting that laypeople can make recommendations online while I cannot. Oh well...

I maybe guessing but you probably wouldn't even if you could. The last place anyone should be looking for stock advice is on a cruise board.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

After my recent purchase of Carnival stock I am applying for the shareholders credit for the first time. I have 2 upcoming cruises, one Princess and one Carnival. This morning I sent the information requested to both Princess and Carnival. The Princess web site has already posted the credit to my booking. However I cannot find any place on the Carnival web site to confirm the credit. Can anyone tell me how I can confirm my OBC with Carnival? Thank you

You should get a confirmation within a day or two. Where you can check is with your online documents. Log into the Carnival site and go to the Manage cruises. Select your booking then go to "print documents". Scrolling down through the documents (page 2 or 3), you will find where it lists the OBC.

You can also contact Carnival via phone and they should be able to confirm this as well.

Steve

Thanks for the quick reply Steve!!

Jan,

You're welcome. Before I retired, I did a lot of customer support and always wanted them to feel that someone was looking at their comment quickly. So, if I have the information, I try to post it expediently.

Steve

I would recommend reading the prospectus with the same care you would when making any investment. Unless you cruise quite frequently it is not wise to purchase carnival stock with the sole intent of getting onboard credit. Purchase it only if you consider it a wise investment separate from that perk. And if you do buy, do it as a single transaction to avoid high transaction fees.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Very good advise