Teens in One Cabin, Parents in the Other?

Thinking of doing two cabins for a family of 5 on the Enchantment: 2 adults and 3 teens 18 and under. The cabins would be directly next to each other. Since RCI requires a person over 21 on the reservation in the same cabin with teens, do we have any problem with swapping cabins when we board so that the parents are in one cabin and the kids in another?

Thinking of doing two cabins for a family of 5 on the Enchantment: 2 adults and 3 teens 18 and under. The cabins would be directly next to each other. Since RCI requires a person over 21 on the reservation in the same cabin with teens, do we have any problem with swapping cabins when we board so that the parents are in one cabin and the kids in another?

Royal will let you book minors in their own stateroom as long as their stateroom is next to yours, or directly across the hall. However, you may have to book by calling because the website might not allow it.

Edited by clarea

Royal will let you book minors in their on stateroom as long as their stateroom is next to yours, or directly across the hall. However, you may have to book by calling because the website might not allow it.

Just did this for a June cruise. Two 16 year olds are across the hall. We did call the reservation in.

Book an adult in each of the cabins and you will be allowed to Carry on Two bottles of wine per cabin. Once on board you can get additional keys for the cabins and put the adults together. We had to do this last year as RCCL would not allow us to book the teens separately and they were only four doors along from us.

We have not been able to book our kids in a separate stateroom...even though they are adjoining! Since they were adjoining, it was not a big deal, but keep in mind that your key will open the stateroom you are assigned to. If you can force the issue, I would encourage you to get the right people assigned to the correct room.

We have not been able to book our kids in a separate stateroom...even though they are adjoining! Since they were adjoining, it was not a big deal, but keep in mind that your key will open the stateroom you are assigned to. If you can force the issue, I would encourage you to get the right people assigned to the correct room.

You can get as many extra keys that you need.

We have booked it both ways with our kids. Two years ago we took a Bahamas cruise and booked one adult in each room. The rooms were adjoining. Once on the ship, the kids were in one room and DH and I in the other. We didn't bother getting new cards made because the kids weren't carrying their own sea passes anyway. So my DH and I each carried our own cards plus one of the kids' cards and that way we each had a key to both rooms.

This year, we originally booked our cruise the same way- one adult in each room. However, when we called RCI a few months after booking to take advantage of a price drop, the agent suggested that we change the reservation to put both kids in one room and DH and I together. She said it was allowed because the kids were in an adjoining room and the reservations were linked. When we called to make the final payment, we confirmed with a second agent that this was all okay. They said it was. We now have set sail passes with everyone's name and the correct room numbers so hopefully everything will go smoothly when we embark.

With teenagers who would likely carry their own cards, you would probably want to ask guest services to print sea passes with the correct room number on it. If you want to call and change the reservation now, or just wait until you are onboard, it doesn't matter. It should be fine either way.

We have always booked our kids in their own cabin right from the original reservation. Of course the cabins have been next door or across the hall. You do have to call to make the reservations, but it is easy to do and this way everything is set up as you need it before getting on the ship. Once onboard we do get another set of keys so that we can check on the kids and they can get to us if needed, but those extra keys stay in the cabin, no need to carry them around.

Book an adult in each of the cabins and you will be allowed to Carry on Two bottles of wine per cabin. Once on board you can get additional keys for the cabins and put the adults together. We had to do this last year as RCCL would not allow us to book the teens separately and they were only four doors along from us.

For anyone taking this advice: Keep in mind that you may be at different muster stations. This has upset some people in the past.

We have 3 kids ages 10,14 and 16 in a connecting cabin. Our travel agent booked it and there didn't seem to be any problem. It is allowed.

When we take the kids we get two rooms but book an adult in each room and just swap on board. We just always get the extra keys and only one kid winds up with an extra key. On the last cruise my youngest had the extra key and she was in good company in the kids club with kids that had to carry an extra key (a very common practice). You can have the keys punched and get a lanyard from the kids club and put both keys on it. Our cabins on the last one were only two cabins apart and they were in different muster stations. We were told once on board we could have that changed. We found out that once on board they didn't want the hassle of changing it but after much insistence they finally did. We have never tried to book it any other way but it works just to swap the rooms around.

I'm sailing on NOS on June 1st and I was able to book my kids 13 & 16 in an interior room and my husband and I in a balcony across the hall. We had no problem making the reservation. Hope they can get it right for you! :confused:

As others have said there are no problems booking cabins with kids in their own rooms if,

The rooms are side by side or directly across the hall. If the cabins are even separated by one cabin or across the hall and up one cabin they will not do this.

You must call RCI in order to be able to do this as it cannot be done on line.

If you use a TA they may tell you that it can't be done. They can do it but they must call RCI in order to book the cabins this way as they cannot do it on line. Some TA's do not want to take the extra time to call.

Edited by Ourusualbeach