Tours through the ship or independent?

redcardms

I would like to take my three daughters to se Sting Ray City.

My wife and I have booked excursions through the cruise line before.

What is the advantage of booking them indepentently and what is the easiest way to do it?

We are not cruising until January but I would at least like too explore our options. If any one has any suggestions let me know.

Advantages of private excursions:

1. Much smaller crowds (Typically 8 to 24 vs hundreds)

2. Less expensive (Often 40% to 50% less expensive)

3. Spend more time at locations

4. See things the bigger groups can't

5. No "lowest common denominator" (no wasting time waiting for an idiot who is dragging behind, taking a late run to the rest room, or who has wondered off).

6. Independent excursions can mean the difference between liking an excursion and LOVING it!

There are several very good operators in Grand Cayman who will take you to Sting Ray City. We used NativeWay twice. Easiest way to book is online through the tour operator's website.

Georgetown, Grand Cayman

If you arrive by ship, you will likely anchor offshore and tender in to this port. We walked around the pier shops awaiting our privately arranged Sting Ray City / Coral Gardens tour with Native Way at noon. There were 13 folks on our tour. We boarded a small van which took us to a boat awaiting us at the Yacht Club. Our boat could comfortably hold 50 people. It took about 20 minutes to motor out to the Coral Gardens reef where we donned mask, snorkel, fins and optional snorkel vests (which made my wife very happy). The snorkel vests provide buoyancy and can be inflated to a level that is comfortable for you. There were no lack of pretty fish here. We then motored 5 minutes out to Sting Ray City, a sandbar in the ocean where the water is only 4-feet deep. Even though the place was crowded, we had a great time. Stingrays with 2-to-4 foot wingspans were in abundance and very tame. Boat captains were catching them and passing them around for everyone to view and hold. Plenty of squid was available for feeding. We were happy to have been on a private tour ($35 each, plus tip). Some double-decker boats were absolutely jam-packed with passengers. Squeals pierced the air every time a stingray glided a wing against someone's leg. We spent about 1.5 hours between the two locations. Plenty of time. It was a very memorable and fun experience. Highly recommended! Upon our return we were driven back into town where we spent some more time shopping. Bottom line: Grand Cayman is gorgeous! Stingray City will be the highlight of your visit.

More "Secrets of the Caribbean": http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

First-hand information on excursions we've taken in over 20 Caribbean ports. With photos!

Edited by CaribbeanBound

What is it that you want to do? Lots of things don't require an excursion at all!

Advantages of a ship's excursion....you just show up when and where they tell you, and they take care of everything....no guesswork, no worries. You just have the fun!

There is no "right or wrong" way to do this!

• 2 weeks later...
I would like to take my three daughters to se Sting Ray City.

My wife and I have booked excursions through the cruise line before.

What is the advantage of booking them indepentently and what is the easiest way to do it?

We are not cruising until January but I would at least like too explore our options. If any one has any suggestions let me know.

1. much lower price

2. smaller group

You will find a lot of great tour company recommendations on cruise critic.

And do a google search. If you find something you like, be sure to check on cruise critic for the reputation of the company.

Trip Advisor is another avenue for searching for independent tours. And checking ratings of a tour company.

Edited by Boo's Mom