Next step up from RCCL for a bit more "luxury"?

Celebrity, yes. Never sailed Holland but Princess is more like Royal with less to do. JMHO.

I agree 100%. I think Celebrity, especially Solstice Class, is a step up from RCI.

I just returned from the Ruby Princess and in no way, shape or form would I say they are a step up....more like a step sideways. In fact, I think Princess and RCI are the 2 most similar lines to one another of the 5 cruise lines I've sailed. If anything, I'd say Princess' staterooms are a step down.

I could go either way with Holland. Their staterooms feel a lot more luxurious, but their activites are severely lacking. I'm not sure i would consider them a step up for the 40-something crowd.

We are relatively new to cruising and have perfectly enjoyed our RCCL cruises so far. We just finished our second last month and have our third booked for next year.

We really enjoy the dress-up aspect of the formal nights and actually choose to over-dress on non-formal nights. We don't make a lot of opportunity at home to dress up and go out, so we look at it as a fun opportunity. How those around us dress doesn't affect our vacation at all, so not trying to start ANYTHING about dress code! ;)

We are both right around 40 - so not old, but not young - although very physically active and young at heart. We are not "party" people, but also not geriatric either, and like a lively ship that provides good people watching. :D

What cruiseline, do those with experience, feel is the next step up the ladder from RCCL in terms of luxury/formal evenings/etc...? Not looking for the top tier, as we are not high rollers, and currently don't have the time/resources to spend a month at sea either. Just something that you might consider a bit more luxurious than RCCL.

We have no real intention of jumping ship on RCCL, but I like researching, reading, and checking out potential future vacations.

Thanks for any input/discussion.

Dan.

I would definitely consider Celebrity. Since you will have points in your Crown and Anchor Account, you might be eligible for status in Celebrity's Captains Club as there is a reciprocity over a certain level.

We just came off an Azamara Club Cruises sailing with no formal nights and we missed them. We, too, enjoy playing dress up.

Celebrity, any of the Solstice class ships are just wonderful. Try an Aqua Class level cabin and you will have a wonderful dining experience in the AQ only Blu resturant included in the cost. Reflection has AC suites. We have sailed on 3 in this class and hope to do the last 2 in the near future. We felt the ships were very elegant.

Bev

I also say celebrity. The ships are super nice, clean and trendy. The crowd is a lot less fun I feel though. Holland is also nice, but The crowd on holland is all 50+ for the most part, and felt as a young couple the activities are sorely lacking.

We find the Sky Suites on Celebrity the closest match to the JS on Royal. However, the Sky Suites come with a butler for a truly upscale experience! I think you might enjoy it.

I found the butler to be useless. Did enjoy the sky suite, however.

The atmosphere is more subdued and, I think, classy, but we often go back and forth between Celebrity and RCI because we like the more upbeat feel of RCI too (so both have their pluses).
I also say try Celebrity. To us, it is a step above RC. IMHO, food is better, atmosphere is a bit classier on Celebrity, and the dress seems to be a bit more on the formal side. Pricing is very similar, or just a little more than RC. Also, if you are a C&A member, you can automatically become a Captains Club member on your first Celebrity cruise with the reciprical of benefits between RC & Celebrity.
Celebrity is great and HAL would be the next step. Most dress every night. We like the nite life and dancing on RCCL. Very little on HAL.

We'd like to find something a bit more upscale sometimes too - not Cunard upscale. Our dilemna is - like the idea of better food, classier atmosphere and more dressy at dinner, but really also love the night life and dancing on RCCL. Seems to be one or the other, but not both available!

If, and given your budget constraints, only if, you do ship-sponsored excursions when in port, take a look at Regent. They look horrifyingly expensive at first blush, but they include virtually everything in the cost of the cruise, including their standard shore excursions. We priced them vs. RCI for an Alaska cruise and the net difference was about $1000 more for Regent once we factored in drinks, air and excursions. We ended up going on Rhapsody, which was a brilliant experience, so no regrets that we didn't branch out.

Our vet is in her 40's and has sailed Regent a couple of times, very much enjoying it. She said that the crowd was affluent but not obnoxious about it, and that the food and drink offerings were wonderful. I don't recall what she said about other onboard experiences, but you could research that here on CC.

Their ships are all suites, too.

Just a thought....

At a quick glance, I don't think we are quite ready for Cunard. We'll leave that as a future "step" in the luxury ladder. Don't want to skip too many rungs at once. ;) With that said, one of those 80-90 day "world" cruises sounds pretty amazing, albeit a tad beyond our current means.

As I said, we have had no complaints with RCI to this point.

Thanks again for all of the input.

Dan.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Forums mobile app

I would suggest Celebrity. Especially an S class ship. I am in my 40's and had a fabulous time on all of our Celebrity cruises. We usually alternate Celebrity and Royal Caribbean and sometimes throw in a Princess.

If I had to compare the three lines I would say:

Celebrity = sophistication

Princess = Elegant

Royal Caribbean = Best Entertainment

All three lines are good, but as I said for what you are looking for, I would suggest Celebrity. I think the entertainment is better on Celebrity than Princess as well.

If you want to stay in the RCCL family the next step up would be Celebrity as a number of people have mentioned. Beyond that would be Azamara. Cunard is an interesting mention. From what I know from talking to former guests is that Cunard can be an upgraded experience. However that depends upon booking into either of the Grills classes.

Celebrity, Holland, or Princess

Celebrity is good, but they don't have a flowrider. HAL is really old, and the food is not really any better. They just seem more formal because the clientele is older and they will dress up. Princess is very similar to RCI on the food, but they only have traditional cruise activities. RCI is much better for the athletic active set. The wierd thing about Princess is they have lots of varieties of restaurants instead of the main dining room and then specialty restaurants, but they really are not very good. I think RCI does dinner better.

I am 55 and very active and athletic. Don't really care any more about the dress up part, although I am willing to participate.

jc

Celebrity is trying to attract a younger generation, no longer >50 crowd as evidenced by the music they play. I'm slightly over 50 and can tolerate the loud top 40 DJ music, but lots of people are taking issue with it. As far as formal, not so much. Just walked off the reflection last weekend so this is IMHO. However, any cruise will what you make of it! Go and enjoy! :rolleyes:

Try Celebrity as others have suggested! We especially love the Solstice class ships but will also cruise on the Millennium class ships depending on the itinerary. Have cruises Hal and Princess several times but orefer Celebrity.

I was in same dilemma a few months back. Been on a RC cruise IOTS and although I enjoyed it there were elements I didn't like. After seeking advice from cruise critic members and listing my likes and dislikes I was pointed in the direction of celebrity. After further research I've booked to go on celebrity eclipse this August and I can't wait.

The IOTS is beautiful ship and we had a great holiday but there was something not quite right. Hopefully celebrity will be a better fit. We are exactly the same age as you.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the input.

To answer one thing I saw above, we are currently only Gold C&A members with 20 points. We will make the next level after our next cruise (we will have 34 points after that one). Do either of those translate over to any of the Celebrity tiers?

I've looked at Celebrity a few times, and their staterooms are a bit confusing to me. What would be the equivalent of an RCCL Junior Suite on Celebrity?

What about a Grand Suite equivalent?

Thanks again!

Dan.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Forums mobile app

Hi Dan! We are D+ in RCCL and moved to Celebrity a couple of years ago looking for a more restrictive smoking policy. We loved it! As many have suggested try the Solstice Class. The equivalent to a Jr Suite is a Sky Suite but the SS comes with a butler and better perks. A Celebrity Suite is equivalent to a Grand Suite. BTW, Celebrity is improving their suite experience in 2015. Hope this helps.

You're only 40 so I would save Celebrity for when your over 50. I would go with Princess. I don't feel that Princess is the same as RCCL. I feel Princess is more high end. Celebrity would be my second choice. If you want more luxury then go with Seabourne.

I respectfully disagree. I am in my early 30's and my wife and I love the classy, laid back atmosphere on Celebrity and our best cruise was with them. There was plenty to do, just maybe not as much late night dancing. The decor, food and service was better than Royal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My vote is for Azamara. Royal Caribbean owns celebrity as well as Azamara. Azamara is considered their luxury line and your status carries over. My husband and I are in our late 30s. We have been on Royal Caribbean, celebrity, Azamara, Regent, princess, Carnival, NCL, etc. I can truly say that Azamara is our favorite line. Top-notch service excellent food some alcohol included. You will have a wonderful trip with them.

My vote is for Azamara. Royal Caribbean owns celebrity as well as Azamara. Azamara is considered their luxury line and your status carries over. My husband and I are in our late 30s. We have been on Royal Caribbean, celebrity, Azamara, Regent, princess, Carnival, NCL, etc. I can truly say that Azamara is our favorite line. Top-notch service excellent food some alcohol included. You will have a wonderful trip with them.

I just got off the Azamara Quest. I was not impressed by the food. Dining room service was terrible. The staterooms are very tiny and the shower is the smallest I've ever experienced on any ship, including river cruises. My 23 foot RV has a bigger shower.

Many people like Azamara because of the interaction with the crew. I don't sail to make friends with crew members or fist-bump with the captain. The cache of the ship being one big family is, to me, silly.

Unless I get a super deal like the one I just had and Azamara is the only ship sailing to the ports I want, I'll stick with Celebrity and Royal Caribbean.

Azamara is definitely NOT a luxury line. Boutique maybe, but not luxury.

Princess: Not bad, the only word we use to describe it is vanilla, nothing wrong but absolutely not memorable.

Cunard: Great for TA's but not your typical cruise ship.

Celebrity: Hits it. More upscale, more formal, less announcements, and the upper levels butler service is truly worth the $$$$