Tracy Arm Fjord (Sawyer Glacier) ? Side of ship

Karysa

Just because you didn't know you departed the fjord the same way you entered, doesn't mean you didn't. :rolleyes:

Here is a map showing the Tracy Arm fjord. Please let us know how your Captain was able to take you on a straight path "all the way through" without turning around.

tracy-arm-endicott-arm-bad-depiction.jpg

Mary Ellen thanks so much for the map. I'm sorry I missed thanking you yesterday! I must have gotten diverted by something.

Our first cruise was an Alaskan cruise on the original Prinsendam. She was only 9,000 tons - much smaller than any mainstream cruise ship today. We got into places that that modern ships just can't navigate. We went places we didn't think that ship could fit. It was amazing. The Ocean Princess won't be able to go the route we did then, but you'll likely still be able to see things you can't on the larger ships. The Vancouver sailings have so, SO much better scenery than the Seattle ones anyway.

We actually got into Grenville Channel on the Ryndam with Capt Rowden. It was a-m-a-z-i-n-g :D

For those not familiar with it, the Grenville Channel is part of what is considered the "historic" Inside Passage. Mainstream cruise ships seldom get there.

There were some channels we went through on the Prinsendam that were so narrow that I thought I could throw a rock off either side and hit the shore - and I throw like the proverbial girl. ;) Sailing among the channels is one of the best reasons for sailing from Vancouver. I know there are benefits of doing an Alaskan cruise from Seattle, but passengers give up some wonderful scenery in order to do so. It's great when the Captains can fit some of that scenic cruising into the schedule, but it is slow going and they HAVE to make a very narrow window for going through the Seymour Narrows.

There were some channels we went through on the Prinsendam that were so narrow that I thought I could throw a rock off either side and hit the shore - and I throw like the proverbial girl. ;) Sailing among the channels is one of the best reasons for sailing from Vancouver. I know there are benefits of doing an Alaskan cruise from Seattle, but passengers give up some wonderful scenery in order to do so. It's great when the Captains can fit some of that scenic cruising into the schedule, but it is slow going and they HAVE to make a very narrow window for going through the Seymour Narrows.

In 2010 when we got into Grenville Channel, we were initially pretty annoyed with the Captain, as he was gunning it leaving Vancouver. Fast, fast, fast. My suspicion later was that he'd decided to try to use whatever perfect tides (or whatever) to get into Grenville. Too bad there was no announcement until the 1 pm address from the bridge. I was one of the few onboard who recognized that we were doing something very special, until the address from the bridge.

Yup, felt like we could have reached out and touched the shore.

The big benefit I see in leaving from Seattle is that is the route that usually goes to Sitka. I adore Sitka!

Mary Ellen thanks so much for the map. I'm sorry I missed thanking you yesterday! I must have gotten diverted by something.

Just because you didn't know you departed the fjord the same way you entered, doesn't mean you didn't. :rolleyes:

Here is a map showing the Tracy Arm fjord. Please let us know how your Captain was able to take you on a straight path "all the way through" without turning around.

tracy-arm-endicott-arm-bad-depiction.jpg

Sorry for my confusion.

Thank you so much for clearing up my error.

Your map is great.

Edited by sail7seas

In 2010 when we got into Grenville Channel, we were initially pretty annoyed with the Captain, as he was gunning it leaving Vancouver. Fast, fast, fast. My suspicion later was that he'd decided to try to use whatever perfect tides (or whatever) to get into Grenville. Too bad there was no announcement until the 1 pm address from the bridge. I was one of the few onboard who recognized that we were doing something very special, until the address from the bridge.
I suspect the reason for gunning it when departing Vancouver was in order to make it to Seymour Narrows in time for the slack tide (halfway between high and low tides). There is only about a 15-minute window for ships to transit the Narrows. If the ship doesn't make their allotted time, it would mean backtracking and going around Vancouver Island. Only a few ships can transit the Narrows each slack tide so they are scheduled for a specific time. If they don't make it...

Since you most likely had to make it to Seymour Narrows very quickly, there was 'extra' time the next day when the Captain decided the conditions were good to go through the Grenville Channel. Great that he was able to do so.

Below is a link and description to one of the best ways to see Tracy Arm. This ranks as one of my best memories from Alaska.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-destinations/ExcursionDetails.action?excursionCode=100030935&portCode=TAC&voyageCode=V441&requestSource=cruiseDetailsPort

Join an exclusive opportunity to see the very best of the Tracy Arm Wilderness Area, including exciting close-up views of the majestic Sawyer Glaciers. Your adventure begins as soon as you board a luxurious, high-speed catamaran directly from your cruise ship. Relax in the warm, spacious cabin, surrounded by large windows as your experienced captain guides you past curious seals resting on floating icebergs. The extraordinary maneuverability of the vessel will allow you to get as close as possible to the ever-changing face of South Sawyer Glacier. From the topside observation deck you will be able to enjoy this unforgettable experience with all your senses. You can sometimes even feel the "white thunder," as immense spires of ice break from the glacier and crash into the sea. You will also view the beautiful North Sawyer Glacier, which cannot be approached by large cruise ships. While exploring the length of this ice-carved fjord, you will cruise beneath cliffs that rise 4,000-feet above the jade-colored sea, and you can feel the mist on your face as the vessel maneuvers almost directly under a plunging waterfall. There will also be frequent stops for you to view and photograph wildlife, such as pigeon guillemots, bald eagles, harbor seals, mountain goats and bears. As you cruise Tracy Arm, the on-board naturalist will provide a wealth of information about the area, which naturalist John Muir called "one of the most dramatically stunning fjords of Southeast Alaska." Enjoy a variety of snacks and beverages served by your friendly Alaskan crew as you trace the rugged shores of Stephens Passage on the cruise north to Juneau.