.......idle jottings

ho-hum

New ship, Cuba, horse dung, etc. ... all pablum!

It appears the numerous intrepid (yeh, right) reporters opining here

know little more about the machinations of Sea Dream than the kids

certain to be on our next sojourn. Ha!

Seriously though, SD cannot much longer flog those old "tin cans"

in light of recent announcements by the competition of new

small ships. I already know of some contemplating the leap to

other companies to sample their wares.

Cuba might be interesting, buy a new ship more appealing.

Cuba might be interesting, buy a new ship more appealing.

I am with you, as is the history of shipping, about "flogging those old 'tin cans'".

Every now and then, I find it helpful to re read post number 1 of "Idle Jottings" to remember why it is we have this catchall of drivel that seems to be so important after a few (:eek:) glasses of wine (or maybe Tequilas). But "pablum"?.........it is usually waaaaayyy worse than pablum.:eek::D:D

Edited by Jim Avery

Bon Voyage to Ragnar D and Mrs D. Hope your European Vacation is as good as the movie. We will watch the telly for news of Russia being invaded by an antique tank.:eek: At least get in some tank shootin' practice.:D

Thanks Jim!

Poor France, they are in a stew these days, what with the migrant crisis, farmers blocking the roads of Paris, etc. Just they wait until the Ugliest American arrives next week and teaches them the meaning of the word rude....

A second "Old Codgeritis" outbreak has occurred !

It has transmigrated from "Kids" to "...idle jottings", despite the stringent safety precautions and high standard of "drivel" propounded here.

He goes on blah, blah, blah...

What's your "pablum", Co Co ?

(Henceforth Hum shall refer to the "Commander" as Co Co.

Commander Courageous indeed, ehh Cabbie ?).

This from a guy so relieved to get a cabin for a booked up forthcoming voyage on said "tin can" !

As both ships are as popular than ever and for very good reasons.

They are essentially living, floating, working "World Heritage Sites" made up of extraordinary talented individuals.

How do you like them apples ?

And a gracious "Ha" to you too Co Co.

ONE DOWN, ONE TO GO

I am with you, as is the history of shipping, about "flogging those old 'tin cans'".

Every now and then, I find it helpful to re read post number 1 of "Idle Jottings" to remember why it is we have this catchall of drivel that seems to be so important after a few (:eek:) glasses of wine (or maybe Tequilas). But "pablum"?.........it is usually waaaaayyy worse than pablum.:eek::D:D

Do you have a "pablum" with that ?

Oh the hypocrisy (also) coming from the second most contributor of the alleged "pablum" and a lot worse besides on this esteemed forum.

Enjoying them apples too Jimbo ?

ANNOUNCEMENT

To all "out there".

Now Raggy and Ho Hum will be away at the same time soon for quite a while so it's likely to be a tad sparse here but more importantly, we're worried about Jimbo.

So please look in on old Butch from time to time, make sure he:

- stays out of the sun

- wears his ear defenders at the shooting range

- eats properly

- stays hydrated

- does'nt stay up too late watching re-runs of "Gunsmoke"

- not drinking more than a bottle of tequila a day

- and most importantly he is taking his medication !

Edited by ho-hum

World Heritage Sites ... yeh like the last one I visited in Albania.

In fairness Hum, we have no plans to abandon SD but, like any prudent

businessman, you can't let the competition get too far ahead of you,

which seems to be the case here.

Other than refurbishing the lounge, nary a cent has been spent on

the ships decor ... linens, carpet, drapery, furniture ... you get the

picture. Now if a new ship were in the offing, I could understand the

reluctance to throw money at the aging fleet. If not, however, this

appears to be the only way to remain competitive with other cruise

lines that seem to be announcing new fleets daily.

That SD is "debt free" might be testamony to prudent fiscal management

but hardly wins praise as others spend and leapfrog ahead of them in

appealinng to the small cruise ship market.

World Heritage Sites ... yeh like the last one I visited in Albania.

In fairness Hum, we have no plans to abandon SD but, like any prudent

businessman, you can't let the competition get too far ahead of you,

which seems to be the case here.

Other than refurbishing the lounge, nary a cent has been spent on

the ships decor ... linens, carpet, drapery, furniture ... you get the

picture. Now if a new ship were in the offing, I could understand the

reluctance to throw money at the aging fleet. If not, however, this

appears to be the only way to remain competitive with other cruise

lines that seem to be announcing new fleets daily.

That SD is "debt free" might be testamony to prudent fiscal management

but hardly wins praise as others spend and leapfrog ahead of them in

appealinng to the small cruise ship market.

As always, your points are valid ones, old chum (but ever so slightly "miffed" by your "pablum" calling to this wonderful thread. Of course Hum expects it of Jimbo ! Just waiting for him to respond......it's not "chuckin' out" time yet at the Charlton Heston Bar ! Anytime soon tho'........note to self: must be forgivin' of Jimbo when he is all "tanked up").

Just banter folks......Hum has the greatest respect for these wonderful gentlemen.

Edited by ho-hum

ANNOUNCEMENT

To all "out there".

Now Raggy and Ho Hum will be away at the same time soon for quite a while so it's likely to be a tad sparse here but more importantly, we're worried about Jimbo.

So please look in on old Butch from time to time, make sure he:

- stays out of the sun

- wears his ear defenders at the shooting range

- eats properly

- stays hydrated

- does'nt stay up too late watching re-runs of "Gunsmoke"

- not drinking more than a bottle of tequila a day

- and most importantly he is taking his medication !

Duly noted Ho Hum!

As to improvements to at least SD2 other than the lounge, I'm pleased to report what we learned when on SD2 a few weeks ago. She is scheduled, as some of you may know, for a full two week dry dock next month (October). Believe it will take place in Lisbon. When we were on board, several staff from the dry dock marine company were on board, among other things, well, going board by board on the deck with notebooks in hand. They were checking out the jacuzzi and could be seen here and there discreetly checking everything out. We were led to believe it is a nearly 24-hour per day operation to get everything done on the long list of projects on time. This includes both soft items like carpeting and hard things like mechanical aspects of the engine room. It all seemed rather extensive to us and must be running into seven figures in terms of cost. We too have been concerned from time to time but this degree of investment including attention to detail is most reassuring to us and hopefully to you as well. We found even Silversea too large last year at 450. If someone else is offering the true small SD size and high level of casual yet top notch service I'm not sure who that would be.

As always, your points are valid ones, old chum (but ever so slightly "miffed" by your "pablum" calling to this wonderful thread. Of course Hum expects it of Jimbo ! Just waiting for him to respond......it's not "chuckin' out" time yet at the Charlton Heston Bar ! Anytime soon tho'........note to self: must be forgivin' of Jimbo when he is all "tanked up").

Just banter folks......Hum has the greatest respect for these wonderful gentlemen.

Moving slow this morning Mr. Hum. Up last night watching Alabama Football which involves a certain amount of Jack Daniel's interspersed with cheers of "Roll Tide" at appropriate intervals. We managed to dispatch the Wisconsin Cheese Eaters so all is well for now. We will miss you and Ragnar. Sort of suspicious Y'all both missing at the same time............Hmmmmmm............

Moving slow this morning Mr. Hum. Up last night watching Alabama Football which involves a certain amount of Jack Daniel's interspersed with cheers of "Roll Tide" at appropriate intervals. We managed to dispatch the Wisconsin Cheese Eaters so all is well for now. We will miss you and Ragnar. Sort of suspicious Y'all both missing at the same time............Hmmmmmm............

.... and what time do you call this young man ?

Only HH and DJ are allowed to adopt "Hmmmm" in a posting.

Please dont give her any trouble whilst we are away.

It's good of her to call in.

Will miss you though.

Hello Ho hum. Just checking in to see how Blondie enjoyed her fabulous cruise.

My IPads playing up again so I can't see the itinerary you posted earlier but I think it ended in Venice?? I sincerely hope she had a better experience in Marco Polo airport than I had. It was like a disorganised cattle market last Saturday and the bus transfer drivers were on 'go slow'. I had a bit of a freak attack trapped on the bus transfer even though I had upgraded. Never again. the transfer I eventually booked was €32 from the cruise port to the airport. Was waiting with a people carrier as we departed the cruise port terminal. arrived at the airport 18 mins later. Hope all is well. :)

Hello Ho hum. Just checking in to see how Blondie enjoyed her fabulous cruise.

My IPads playing up again so I can't see the itinerary you posted earlier but I think it ended in Venice?? I sincerely hope she had a better experience in Marco Polo airport than I had. It was like a disorganised cattle market last Saturday and the bus transfer drivers were on 'go slow'. I had a bit of a freak attack trapped on the bus transfer even though I had upgraded. Never again. the transfer I eventually booked was €32 from the cruise port to the airport. Was waiting with a people carrier as we departed the cruise port terminal. arrived at the airport 18 mins later. Hope all is well. :)

Hi Poppy.

Marco Polo airport had a fire quite some time ago and it seems they still haven't got back into full operation.

We were both there about five weeks back and as you say it was hell.

Some of the staff wore face masks to prevent inhaling the residue smoke.

See the review on the airport on the link below:

http://www.airlinequality.com/airport-reviews/venice-marco-polo-airport/

Ain't good is it ? Tashkent is better !

So Blondie's verdict on her voyage 'Best ever !"

Again ?

Stand out things ?

- Club Director Peter, wonderful. One of the very best and a new "experience" for Blondie

- passengers were very friendly, inclusive and fun (apart from two who scoffed all the caviar ! Well "to do" Brits but obviously no ruddy manners)

The chef produced an "Octopus Salad" for Blondie on the last night which was so huge she couldn't eat it all.

So she asked the chef if she could take it home !

Cheeky.

The chef asked whether HH would like some too.

So we had it for lunch on the day she returned.

Where are you going to get service like that ?

So, appreciate the kindness, the gesture and boy it was delicious too.

Ruddy brilliant SD.

PS Now keep this to yourself otherwise EVERYBODY will want a "doggy bag" at disembarkation ! The chef will kill HH !

But how was your trip ?

"So we had it for lunch the day she returned."

Can you bring food through European airport security?

Or did it go in a checked bag :eek:

Oops, forgot about the private jet....

And how in the "blue blazes" is Ho Hum expected to know how the common man travels !

Hum does all he can to immune himself from others when travelling and for quite a lot of the time when not travelling too !

A bubble of silence and tranquillity is maintained at all times chiefly achieved by not talking to anyone and drinking copious amounts of alcohol at each and every opportunity.

Blondie handed the octopusto the air stewardess in the "Diplomatic Bag" on the Lear..........just in case (she would "cop" it not nous: you have heard of "mules" have'nt you ?),

But Hum hears that "ordinary" passengers can carry food from within EU countries in their checked in bags and bottles.

In fact Hum carries his own purpose built, reinforced, rigid, wine case whenever he travels.

Take wines out on a trip as gifts and for moi-meme where "silly" prices are charged and for the return to "Blighty" when visiting local wine shops on the Continent.....only enough for 6 but Blondie can't carry much more than that !

Of course no liquids in carry on bags except a small pouch.

Thanks Jim!

Poor France, they are in a stew these days, what with the migrant crisis, farmers blocking the roads of Paris, etc. Just they wait until the Ugliest American arrives next week and teaches them the meaning of the word rude....

Ruddy French need a kick up the ruddy "derriere !"

So be as rude as you like.......they will "out" rude you anyway.

Centuries of arrogance does that to a country's people......it is "built in".

Mind you when it comes to food and wine......they have a lot to be arrogant about.

When in France, eat local food (dish of the region, pate of the region, cheese of the region) drink local wine and utter "Formidable" after a good meal.

And don't ruddy Tip !

Locals don't. So why should you.

They actually disdain people that do.

Manners and etiquette were introduced by the nobility and look what happened to them !

A country of peasants with a few dilletantes.

No "tippy toeing around" the Frogs......they need to know YOU are in charge and have "short thrift" with any attitude whether real or imagined.

Try not even to talk to them and certainly no eye contact (except when in a wine shop).

These travel tips to France have served Hum well.

Now with French friends socially ..... it is a different "kettle of poissons".

One final tip: ALWAYS WITH A CORKSCREW.....you just never know when you might need one.

Alternatively check out link below:

[YOUTUBE]PMMdN4AFtqE[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by ho-hum

And what "shenanigans" would that be???

I see that you've already begun as the quote below demonstrates:p

.... and what time do you call this young man ?

Only HH and DJ are allowed to adopt "Hmmmm" in a posting.

Please dont give her any trouble whilst we are away.

It's good of her to call in.

Will miss you though.

Will give keeping Jim in line the good "olde" college try ... even though I'd like to forget Saturday's Penn State game:eek:

And how in the "blue blazes" is Ho Hum expected to know how the common man travels !

Hum does all he can to immune himself from others when travelling and for quite a lot of the time when not travelling too !

A bubble of silence and tranquillity is maintained at all times chiefly achieved by not talking to anyone and drinking copious amounts of alcohol at each and every opportunity.

Blondie handed the octopusto the air stewardess in the "Diplomatic Bag" on the Lear..........just in case (she would "cop" it not nous: you have heard of "mules" have'nt you ?),

But Hum hears that "ordinary" passengers can carry food from within EU countries in their checked in bags and bottles.

In fact Hum carries his own purpose built, reinforced, rigid, wine case whenever he travels.

Take wines out on a trip as gifts and for moi-meme where "silly" prices are charged and for the return to "Blighty" when visiting local wine shops on the Continent.....only enough for 6 but Blondie can't carry much more than that !

Of course no liquids in carry on bags except a small pouch.

Ruddy French need a kick up the ruddy "derriere !"

So be as rude as you like.......they will "out" rude you anyway.

Centuries of arrogance does that to a country's people......it is "built in".

Mind you when it comes to food and wine......they have a lot to be arrogant about.

When in France, eat local food (dish of the region, pate of the region, cheese of the region) drink local wine and utter "Formidable" after a good meal.

And don't ruddy Tip !

Locals don't. So why should you.

They actually disdain people that do.

Manners and etiquette were introduced by the nobility and look what happened to them !

A country of peasants with a few dilletantes.

No "tippy toeing around" the Frogs......they need to know YOU are in charge and have "short thrift" with any attitude whether real or imagined.

Try not even to talk to them and certainly no eye contact (except when in a wine shop).

These travel tips to France have served Hum well.

Now with French friends socially ..... it is a different "kettle of poissons".

One final tip: ALWAYS WITH A CORKSCREW.....you just never know when you might need one.

Alternatively check out link below:

[YOUTUBE]PMMdN4AFtqE[/YOUTUBE]

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&ved=0CE0QFjAIahUKEwjyzbXus-XHAhWODZIKHTMSDYg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fkotaku.com%2Fturns-out-you-can-uncork-champagne-with-a-huge-sniper-r-1675841943&usg=AFQjCNHmOaxBz7dUAAUFD119IOfARsZqfA

This is how we uns do it out West. Yee Haw!:eek::D