.......idle jottings

ho-hum

Loved "Carry on Cruising". In a similar vein, Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau in "Out to Sea" were good too. But then Lois always said I reminded her of "Ship of Fools".:eek::D

"Out to Sea" ? Never heard of it (in UK) BUT Jim says it good

So it's got to be worth a gander on YouTube.

Laughed ? It was hilarious.

The one liners !

"I saw you staring at my daughter's chest.

Well I used to be a cardiologist"

"Those sharks are so big, they would swallow you whole

Swallow my what.......?”

“There’s no such thing as “too late”

That’s why they invented death”

"Come on Charlie, we’re writing history

I’ve seen history, it stinks"

A beautiful lady asks "So when do you reach your sexual peak"

....(Walter Matthau looks at the second hand on his watch)

These films would go down so well on Sea Dream.

Check the trailer out on this link on YouTube, its worth the effort:

The only question ho hum has, is Jack Lemmon playing Jim and Walter Matthau playing Dave or is it the other way round ? Haha (ho hum has refrained from disclosing the film series the two main characters played in out of respect).

"Out to Sea" ? Never heard of it (in UK) BUT Jim says it good

So it's got to be worth a gander on YouTube.

Laughed ? It was hilarious.

The one liners !

"I saw you staring at my daughter's chest.

Well I used to be a cardiologist"

"Those sharks are so big, they would swallow you whole

Swallow my what.......?”

“There’s no such thing as “too late”

That’s why they invented death”

"Come on Charlie, we’re writing history

I’ve seen history, it stinks"

A beautiful lady asks "So when do you reach your sexual peak"

....(Walter Matthau looks at the second hand on his watch)

These films would go down so well on Sea Dream.

Check the trailer out on this link on YouTube, its worth the effort:

The only question ho hum has, is Jack Lemmon playing Jim and Walter Matthau playing Dave or is it the other way round ? Haha (ho hum has refrained from disclosing the film series the two main characters played in out of respect).

Thank God you did not accuse me of being the Cruise Director.:eek::D

Thank God you did not accuse me of being the Cruise Director.:eek::D

Cruise director ! You ! Certainly not: your character is played by Lee Marvin !

Your other recommended film: "Ship of Fools", 1965.

Just loved it.

Come on readers check the trailer out on this link:

Again loved the lines, such as:

"Our mission in life is to avoid being foolish.

We wind up being the biggest fools of all."

Amen (none bigger than ho hum)

"You see the kind of characters we get on this ship

I get a cold shudder every time I go to the Captain's table"

(especially when passengers have had too many Long Islands....you know who you are. Haha)

Some of the illustrious cast:

Vivien Leigh: ended up living 20 minutes away from old ho hum (in an asylum: so very sad. True: Royal Earlswood Mental Hospital)

Simone Signoret: mature woman of the world……..akarumba !

Lee Marvin: you Jim, right, right, right

Jose Greco: Commander Courageous to a “T" and he croons

Michael Dunn: old ho hum (not as tall tho’)

Just heard...

Roland (barman) is back ! Fantastic news.

Richard, executive cruise director on flying visit.

And Johannes........yes Captain J....smooth as always.

All in the bar....GREAT time reported (by friend)

Just 65 passengers...many without Visas !

And who is pastry chef ? Garfield. Elasticated waists at the ready.

Cruise Director; the wonderful, classy Adrienne.

Sounds like a great cruise, wish Ho hum was there.

Oh and the internet is wooorrrhhhiiinnnnggggggg !

so my friend has just returned from mustering and called to say his hands are still shaking when a beautiful young lady from Oslo asked assistance in doing up the life jacket.......wipe that smile off your face ho hum said......how did you know !

He is pleased to report SD2 have TWO engines, TWO !

Well it pays to pay a little extra.

You'll be telling me next, you have internet........

As seasoned professionals, service at dinner under Jamie (hotel manager) and Silvio (maitre d') was exceptional.

Chef Tomasz has taken over the Asian cuisine and it was sublime.

Pablo the sommelier imperious.

How do they do it ? Full respect.

Dammit! Image was too small to read!

Enjoy Vietnam!

Hey it's Gyro

Well programme itinerary taken again but now it wont upload !

Ho hum has created a monster !

So 2 tours

1. Old Hanoi, paddy fields, plantations, HCM mausoleum, meal.

2. Red river delta visiting village, temple, pagoda, see wooden sculptures.

This is such a poor précis of events.

Solly to everyone else too. Ho hum imagines readers saying to their loved ones "my eyes are getting worse, everything seems blurry".

Are you reading this on an ipad ? Is it any better on a computer/ mac ?

On an ipad you have to tap on image, on computer you can easily enlarge.

What has ho hum done ? Anyway nice to hear from you.

Any nerds out there with suggestions ?

So it's 7.0am just entering the delta on the way to Hanoi, grey and misty as the yacht seems to stealthily pass up the narrow delta made even narrower by markers. Large rust-buckets, junks and numerous small boats pass along and across. A blast from the horn and a disconsolate pair of men row their small boat away: close one.

Sitting with an Early Grey tea watching the scenery is calmly exciting.

Captain walks round the newly washed pool deck.

He sees ho hum and pops up and takes a seat alongside; he's been up all night and will sleep when we dock.

The shipping channel between China and Vietnam has been extremely narrow and packed with numerous boats, mostly cargo rustbuckets, its been very misty too so great caution needed.

Captain talks about how surprised (for the good) he has found Vietnam.

Fellow passengers fill tables ready for an 8.30am excursion.

Sadly ho hum's foot wont be ready to-day save for a short walk assisted by umbrella.

Oh well, ho hum.

As Captain leaves, he says "remember the guy on the Amazon trip, who complained" yes, why "he was on last week, had a fantastic time".

Yes ho hum remembers him, he launched ho hum postings because of his wholly un-fair review which ho hum rebuked.

Have to go now Silvio's arrived and wants to play.

image.jpg.41b4150f4efa95c84da7faaa6ce63ff2.jpg

Ah the photo is low resolution (probably a limitation of Cruise Critic website) so when you open it and zoom in or enlarge it you can't read it either (on Macbook) its all fuzzy. But don't worry, your description is probably much more interesting!

I hope you can still get out and about while your foot heals.

See you next month!

5.30 am and the view is grey; grey of subtle and varied shades. Dark blue grey gently, calmly undulating soporifically below and silver grey above and no abrupt division between. Within this appearance, six darker grey, small islands seem to emerge of varying sizes. As time goes by the islands are more clearly revealed.

So this is the mystical Ha Long Bay and as the gaze returns to the view, it has changed again. A blanket of misty grey begins to further soften the view. Three cranes pass by overhead in line. No wonder these landscapes inspire other worldliness and poetic lines.

As the yacht slowly travels into the mist, the ship passes these dark shadows revealing the islands. The darkened base of the perimeter and the lighter karst limestone topped with verdant green trees above gives the appearance that the islands "float". We seem to be floating amongst a watery Japanese Zen garden; rocks randomly but perfectly placed with moss growing on top and all the time linked together by water below and mist above.

This is so far from the mass of restless people and intense pollution of Hanoi port yesterday that depressed the spirit: this is the eternal Vietnam but we are warned that encroaching tourism has created high rise buildings nearby.

But for now, the ship is moored in quiet waters with a peaceful view without any sign of human "progress".

Oh spoke too soon. Dirty brown oil slicks and our own Sea Dream spewing dirty black smoke (which it has been doing over six months now); even the rust-buckets and junks pollute less. And ho hum complained of pollution yesterday yet in-directly he is creating it.

Early grey tea arrives; silver grey actually, a beautifully blended bespoke tea from England, part of Sea Dream's raising standards. Tea served in a new clear glass tea pot; beautiful Scandinavian design. Goran chats and serves enthusiastically. Smoke stops some two hours later. Life is good again.

Ragnar

Ho hum wishes you well; offer remains open for future trips (still sounds very tight tho'; you kids ! Old ho hum not that adventurous).

Gyro

So does ho hum give up; even the photo was blurry ? Ho hum will try once more but please be advised the photo is blurry because scene is misty.

Jim

Your friends were delighted to hear from you and cheerfully return their good wishes to you both. They are an amazing couple, very friendly, inclusive and great fun to be around. We hope to have dinner with them soon, we are already stalwarts together in the bar sharing stories and martini's made by newly arrived Roland.

Does anyone else think they have friends on board and wish to send greetings ?

And is anybody else having difficulty with the photo attached here of the misty islands ?

Thanks again Ho-Hum. D&J made our very first SeaDream voyage all the better. We had a blast running around with them. Jenny & Lois almost ran off with 2 barely clad men in Mayan costume on the dock. Dick & I went to the bar.:eek::D

The photo of the people on the dock is fine :)

Just the one with writing didn't work so well. Can't see the one of the misty karsts!

I hope the engine smoke was temporary problem…doesn't sound to good! :(

Edited by gyroscopic

Ho hum has no idea why they come out upside down....strange is'nt it (hopefully not too annoying)

.........Ho-Hum, are you taking your pics with a IPad? I've taken pics on my IPad and sent them to friends and they've all been upside down. I've discovered if I hold my IPad with the on/off button to my left they come out upside down. If I turn it around so the on/off button is to my right they come out ok when I send them. Just a thought! Sounds like you're enjoying your trip. Happy cruising.

The combination of life having a habit of not always going to plan and the interface between passengers and SD is the ground of the Club Director.

In this case it fell upon the experienced Adrienn.

A lady who has been a firm favourite over the years with passengers.

Her ease and professionalism gives the appearance that the job is an easy one.

You would be very mistaken in such an opinion.

Yesterday, we were visiting the islands and a large cave in Ha Long Bay but unfortunately the weather was a tad non-compliant (heavy mist).

This, coupled with a slight administrative error (no fault of SD) meant that things were also a tad challenging.

Who would be a Club Director ?

So at cocktails last night, the "bull was firmly taken by the horns", when Adrienn easily and engagingly spoke, hoping we had enjoyed the day despite a few difficulties.

Wonderfully put, darling.

The issue was now addressed and it was out in the open. A thoroughly mature female approach to life (boys we can learn from the ladies how to deal with issues sometimes).

Coupled with that, a satisfactory discount was offered because the service was less than perfect (below SD's standards, as she put it).

And furthermore, if any passenger wished to offer feedback, she would welcome suggestions.

We were more than satisfied.

What more could we reasonably expect ? Bravo.

This demonstration of professionalism and care for clients was exemplary performed.

If only SD management shoreside were given the sanction by the Owner to address issues of concern by passengers in a similar manner then all threads relating to areas of concern would swiftly be concluded with admiration for SD (not dis-gruntlement and some bickering of posters).

Well done Adrienn and thankyou for your professional maturity (no doubt sanctioned by Captain TW).

Here endeth the lesson. Pontification over.

The combination of life having a habit of not always going to plan and the interface between passengers and SD is the ground of the Club Director.

In this case it fell upon the experienced Adrienn.

A lady who has been a firm favourite over the years with passengers.

Her ease and professionalism gives the appearance that the job is an easy one.

You would be very mistaken in such an opinion.

Yesterday, we were visiting the islands and a large cave in Ha Long Bay but unfortunately the weather was a tad non-compliant (heavy mist).

This, coupled with a slight administrative error (no fault of SD) meant that things were also a tad challenging.

Who would be a Club Director ?

So at cocktails last night, the "bull was firmly taken by the horns", when Adrienn easily and engagingly spoke, hoping we had enjoyed the day despite a few difficulties.

Wonderfully put, darling.

The issue was now addressed and it was out in the open. A thoroughly mature female approach to life (boys we can learn from the ladies how to deal with issues sometimes).

Coupled with that, a satisfactory discount was offered because the service was less than perfect (below SD's standards, as she put it).

And furthermore, if any passenger wished to offer feedback, she would welcome suggestions.

We were more than satisfied.

What more could we reasonably expect ? Bravo.

This demonstration of professionalism and care for clients was exemplary performed.

If only SD management shoreside were given the sanction by the Owner to address issues of concern by passengers in a similar manner then all threads relating to areas of concern would swiftly be concluded with admiration for SD (not dis-gruntlement and some bickering of posters).

Well done Adrienn and thankyou for your professional maturity (no doubt sanctioned by Captain TW).

Here endeth the lesson. Pontification over.

A wonderful lesson for SD management. The staff at sea can teach them plenty!!

Ho Hum thanks for insights. Agreed.

Having been there, Ha Long Bay is one of the highlights of a trip to Vietnam regardless of the weather. It is a unique UNESCO World Heritage site. Just curious as to what went wrong? SD usually has the pick of the local vendors. Am assuming SD itself isn't allowed among the thousands of limestone islands so they should have arranged for a local boat or two.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

So two tours to-day.

1.Hoi An and countryside with lunch

Full day; Exploring villages on bike seeing shrines and marble mountain.

2. Imperial Hue with lunch.

Full day; Royal Citadel and the Forbidden Purple City then Thien Mu Pagoda by Perfume River with sumptuous lunch.

Gyro

You are too kind but the photo of the dock was just awful.

Ho hum opened the photos of the misty limestone karst islands and they seemed fine to ho hum (do you have a SpecSavers near you ?)

Not another problem or is ho hum not explaining himself well.

Thankfully the engine smoke problem did not last; it seems to occur when moving off after being stationary. And it has not occurred since.

The last time it happened was at another UNESCO heritage site !

And yes a letter was written to SD HQ and was acknowledged.

Suppose it is a short and sporadic problem of some old vessels when initially sailing off or sailing slowly.

Poppy

Yes using iPad !

Thanks for advice and yes you are right that's precisely how ho hum's being doing it.

But in camera roll on Photo section of iPad, it's shown correctly arranged.

Next photo dedicated to you.

I think I responded after you said... "oops Forgot Photo"! And then the photos appeared (albeit upside down)! All good.

Glad the engine smoke issue has gone!

Hue is lovely…I spent hours wandering around there a few years ago!

Keep those pics coming!