.......idle jottings

ho-hum

Sad but true!

Nice to hear from you JES.

Ho hum guesses you mean its "sad but true" in the decline of the smaller ship in favour of the larger and larger "people carriers"

NOT THAT

Two Canadian scientists are giving identical lectures on each of the SD ships during the Transatlantic x-ing.

Or maybe you are reflecting on life in general......Ho hum has days like that too.

But dont be sad JES...we can say we have had a really good time and there's still life in these fine ladies yet.

Come on give SD another go JES, ho hum does think the "Kids" issue has been a tad over-stated and you really should'nt be put off.

Just sayin' old friend.

Do you know how ridiculously easy it is to post yourself on this site ?

Well Ho Hum will tell you. Sit up straight, pay attention and stop THAT ! ............disgusting behaviour ! Well really !

Right, well you are on the CC website.

Now go back to Main Page (from where you first came).

On top, right hand corner is a blue panel, in which there is a "Register here" line preceded by a red arrow.

Click on that.

An "Enter your Birth" panel is displayed.

Enter the details, it doesn't have to be your actual birth date if you prefer not to divulge it but do remember it.

Submit

A "Forum Rules" panel is displayed", click/tick consent on square.

Submit

A "Registration" panel is displayed.

Enter Username. Not your real name.

Enter Password. Not the same as important financial sites and the like.

Enter email address and again.

Answer "Random Question" to ensure you are a legitimate user (no, it doesnt mean your mother was not married to your father !)

Complete "Optional Information"

Submit Registration

Et voila you are now an official poster, once you log yourself in.

Click/tick the "Remember me" square button so you dont have to continuously enter your details.

Now what do you want to tell the world ?

Or

Maybe you have a question.

But have fun.

The world needs to hear from YOU.

Yes little old YOU.

Dr. Ho Hum. Agreed. Indeed meant sad the smaller ships we all enjoy, or at least those of us on this board, are going the way of the dinosaur. If so, call me a dinosaur and I'll take it as a compliment. Also agree with you on it being time to return so we are booked on Dubrovnik to Rome in mid-August. There are some stops we've done before but also several new ones. Blazing hot that time of year but perfect for the pool. Also, we were pleased to see several overnights or late night departures so we will have more night time in port. This will be our 10th SD voyage. Here's hoping for lots of couples of all kinds!

Dr. Ho Hum. Agreed. Indeed meant sad the smaller ships we all enjoy, or at least those of us on this board, are going the way of the dinosaur. If so, call me a dinosaur and I'll take it as a compliment. Also agree with you on it being time to return so we are booked on Dubrovnik to Rome in mid-August. There are some stops we've done before but also several new ones. Blazing hot that time of year but perfect for the pool. Also, we were pleased to see several overnights or late night departures so we will have more night time in port. This will be our 10th SD voyage. Here's hoping for lots of couples of all kinds!

Can I assume you don't mean "a couple of kids here, a couple of kids there"??:eek::D:D

Can I assume you don't mean "a couple of kids here, a couple of kids there"??:eek::D:D

You old stirrer Jim.

Dont listen to him JES....now if you are travelling on SDII then ho hum can assure you that no kids are travelling (well none booked yet).

Which vessel is it JES ?

Jim, that karma is almost spent......time you came back boyo.

You old stirrer Jim.

Dont listen to him JES....now if you are travelling on SDII then ho hum can assure you that no kids are travelling (well none booked yet).

Which vessel is it JES ?

Jim, that karma is almost spent......time you came back boyo.

Only if you and Blondie are aboard as well. You will be my Karmic buffer protecting me from the "evil ones". :eek:

Ho-hum, have you been to the Bovington Tank Museum? Ol' Ragnar will be annoying the kind folks there in September. My 60th birthday trip has morphed from a cruise in Tahiti to a "Wine and War" escapade through England and France, culmanating with a visit with friends to Spain.

Any suggestions on a good place to stay near Bovington, and convenient to the hovercraft port to France? Nothing fancy, just comfy, with a good restaurant nearby.

In general, since we will not be staying in any of the big cities on this trip, are there any chain hotels in England and France that provide good value and don't take a lot of time to research before booking? We just need clean, quiet places to rest our noggins for a night or two as we trapse about. History and wine will be the focus of this trip, not the lodging. And will we need to pre-reserve everything, or can we be a bit spontaneous, given this will be a mid-September trip? Our flight to LHR has been booked, but we are just beginning to plan the trip.

Thanks for any inputs you, or others, may have.

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

Ho-hum, have you been to the Bovington Tank Museum? Ol' Ragnar will be annoying the kind folks there in September. My 60th birthday trip has morphed from a cruise in Tahiti to a "Wine and War" escapade through England and France, culmanating with a visit with friends to Spain.

Any suggestions on a good place to stay near Bovington, and convenient to the hovercraft port to France? Nothing fancy, just comfy, with a good restaurant nearby.

In general, since we will not be staying in any of the big cities on this trip, are there any chain hotels in England and France that provide good value and don't take a lot of time to research before booking? We just need clean, quiet places to rest our noggins for a night or two as we trapse about. History and wine will be the focus of this trip, not the lodging. And will we need to pre-reserve everything, or can we be a bit spontaneous, given this will be a mid-September trip? Our flight to LHR has been booked, but we are just beginning to plan the trip.

Thanks for any inputs you, or others, may have.

Raggy, ho hum's packing !

Of course let ho hum think about it....we have some time.

Raggy we are visiting Sea Dreamer friends in Canada between 8-22 September.

We would love to meet up with you but is this the time of your visit ?

If not then let's meet up.

Give ho hum a week or so. Bovington is really close to the posh part of the UK.

Kindly clarify, are you looking for two places ? One near Bovington and one near the port (Dover ?). HH presumes you will be arriving London Heathrow (gatwick would be easier for you though) then immediately off to museum.

Or are you looking for one place ? You will bit the ground running if that is the case.

Only if you and Blondie are aboard as well. You will be my Karmic buffer protecting me from the "evil ones". :eek:

OK Jimmy boy....its about time we met up.

What time of year do you usually travel ?

Still thinking about an Arizona visit though.

Any trips to UK for you ?

Raggy, ho hum's packing !

Of course let ho hum think about it....we have some time.

Raggy we are visiting Sea Dreamer friends in Canada between 8-22 September.

We would love to meet up with you but is this the time of your visit ?

If not then let's meet up.

Give ho hum a week or so. Bovington is really close to the posh part of the UK.

Kindly clarify, are you looking for two places ? One near Bovington and one near the port (Dover ?). HH presumes you will be arriving London Heathrow (gatwick would be easier for you though) then immediately off to museum.

Or are you looking for one place ? You will bit the ground running if that is the case.

You can ferry to France from Poole too, a lovely place to stay and enjoy the English Riviera! Spent a week there last summer. Very close to Bovington.

You can ferry to France from Poole too, a lovely place to stay and enjoy the English Riviera! Spent a week there last summer. Very close to Bovington.

Damn it popper's right !

And if you go to Portsmouth there are ferries to northern Spain.

Popper is right, Poole is really close. Portsmouth a little further away but Dover, thats a long, long away.

Where in Spain are you going (South ?)

Are you planning a leisurely trip thro' France ? Or is it to get to Spain as soon as possible ?

Thanks ho-hum and popper. Yes, I was planning to ferry over from near Bovington. I will check out hotels around Poole.

And ho-hum, we arrive at LHR on the 10th, so we'll be on opposite sides of the "pond". Good thing, as the British press would have a field day if two such celebrities as us were in London at the same time... And we'll be down in Spain by the time you get back. Seems we'll have to meet up on SD..... or at Jim's.

Thanks ho-hum and popper. Yes, I was planning to ferry over from near Bovington. I will check out hotels around Poole.

And ho-hum, we arrive at LHR on the 10th, so we'll be on opposite sides of the "pond". Good thing, as the British press would have a field day if two such celebrities as us were in London at the same time... And we'll be down in Spain by the time you get back. Seems we'll have to meet up on SD..... or at Jim's.

As long as you bring your heavy ordnance over Sundance to go with Jim's popguns. Ho-Hum on the range.........Shootin' range that is!:eek:

Yes damn the paparazzi !

But if you are having a wine themed holiday, then ho hum can fully recommend the "Hotel du Vin & Bistro" in Poole.

HH has not been to that particular one. There are about 20 of them in the UK and they have a great reputation for accommodation, wine and food.

They are not budget.....well something to consider anyway.

Best of luck.

Hotel du Vin, Harbour Heights and The Haven are nice...

Hotel du Vin sounds like a winner. Anyhing with "Vin" in the name is a winner in ol' Ragnars book!

Jimbo, we did an early Valentines dinner at the San Clemente pier tonight, a dozen oysters on the half each and smoked albacore, washed down with a nice Napa chardonay :D Sunset was awesome! Walked the pier and the "pier bowl". Then hit the Artifex brewery tasting room for a quick double IPA night cap. Took some great photos on my phone, will post one later (on my iPad and too comfy to go fetch the phone...). Photos of the pier, not the brewery :rolleyes:

Hotel du Vin sounds like a winner. Anyhing with "Vin" in the name is a winner in ol' Ragnars book!

Jimbo, we did an early Valentines dinner at the San Clemente pier tonight, a dozen oysters on the half each and smoked albacore, washed down with a nice Napa chardonay :D Sunset was awesome! Walked the pier and the "pier bowl". Then hit the Artifex brewery tasting room for a quick double IPA night cap. Took some great photos on my phone, will post one later (on my iPad and too comfy to go fetch the phone...). Photos of the pier, not the brewery :rolleyes:

Oh so its:

- we had a Valentines dinner Jim

- we had oysters Jim

- we had albacore Jim

- we had a chardonnay Jim

- we had a sunset Jim

- we walked the pier Jim

- we went to a brewery Jim

- we had an IPA and a night cap Jim

- let me send you a photo of the sunset Jim

Well really ! What about ho hum and the rest of us ?

Find some other shmuck to stand with an empty beer can on his head whilst you take pot shots ! HH quits.

Hope the Hotel du Vin serves you crap beer and wine and food.

Mates indeed ! Now where is HH's good friend Cabbie with facts about his voyage ? No humorous anecdotes or wit. Just give us the damn FACTS.

And ho hum with his bad hand and all. Still having to drink from the left hand you know....most ends up down his front.

No but you guys swop notes to one another, dont mind HH or the rest of us.

Did you two meet at San Clemente or something ? Huh !

Just go right ahead and make ho hum and the rest of us feel excluded.

There are other threads you know.

Why not start one up yourself "Jim Avery is the best" thread. Bet it gets only you viewing it. Haha

And before you ask.....not in the damn slightest, matey boy.

Hope a tank runs over your toes. Haha