missed ship in progreso

travsmom

I loved Progreso. We simply walked off the ship and hired the first cab driver in line to take us out to the ruins. He waited for us and then drove us back to the beach and gave us a great recommendation for beach massages.

Maybe because I live in Washington, DC and encounter street vendors and beggars just about every day, the peddlers in Progreso (or anywhere else for that matter) didn't bother me. I simply gave a firm, but polite 'No thank you' and they moved on.

The people in Progreso are very nice and you'll get to experience real Mexico, not white washed and shiny tourist Mexico.

Have a great time!

I booked with William Lawson's in Progreso and I can honestly tell you that it was one of the BEST days of my life. We (6 of us, only 1 guy) felt so safe and secure. We got to visit Mayapan ruins all alone, no other tourists and got to climb the temple that's a mini-version of the one at Chichen Itza that you can't touch. We were also taken to a private cenote and I did the largest cliff jump of my life (I am terrfied of heights but everyone else did it) and when we got out, our guide, Angel, had colorful plates of fresh tropical fruit all cut up and drinks. He asked if we wanted to do anything else. We were all hungry and I love Mayan food (no one else had ever had it) so our guide took us to a restaurant where we had the most amazing meal of our cruise. Again, we were the only people there. Angel stopped along the sides of the roads to point out local flora and fauna, he pointed out old churches and convents and had intimate knowledge of the rich Mayan and subsequent Mexican culture of the area. We were back in plenty of time and never once did we worry about the time.

The town of Progreso could use a facelift, sure. But that area is so rich in so many other things.

We did the Dzibilchaltun ruins through Autoprogreso. They are very cool ruins and have a cenote on site as well. It's like a natural spring pool. It was so refreshing to swim in after walking around the ruins. We had some time before our tour and spent it at the local beach which was nice as well. We had our 2 girls with us who were 3 and 16 months at the time and we never felt unsafe. Just giving some detail on our experience, as I think any port you visit is what you make of it. I'm not going to say that there weren't areas of poverty or there weren't locals trying to sell you things. But you have that everywhere. I don't focus on it and I have found as long as you are polite in saying no thank you they just go on their way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Usually the people that say a port is nasty are the same ones that a) don't venture beyond the immediate vicinity of the port area, b) don't do any research beforehand about the place they are visiting, c) don't take any excursions, and d) don't feel comfortable visiting a "foreign" port unless they see a pretty Welcome Center with a Señor Frog's and a Starbucks Coffee. :rolleyes:

Progreso, like Belize, offer some of the most unique and authentic experiences in the Western Caribbean. Progreso in particular offers the opportunity to visit one of the 8 Wonders of the Modern World, Chichen Itza, as well as the beautiful and authentic colonial city of Merida. But those looking for the fake tourist experience won't appreciate either.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Very well said. We did not get a chance to visit Chichen Itza last time. Now you really make me want to go back!

Did the Dzibilchaltun ruins thru carnival and used the Price Guarantee using Autoprogresso's 4 hour excursion as the match and saved 33 dollars per person. Also ahold have bought our souvenir's at Progresso because they are about 1/3 the price compared to Cozumel.

....... It was the only time i saw armed men with rifles along the road. That is why i said i wouldn't want to be stuck there.

I am not doubting the honesty of your post, but there are only two ways I can even imagining this happening. One is if you have never traveled in Mexico or Central America before, and the other is if your travelmates are so interesting that you never actually looked outside the window. In fact, traveling outside a city center it would be a memorable event if you could go any significant distance and not be stopped at a heavily armed checkpoint, let alone just passing armed men.

Actually, if you were to get left in a port, Progresso would be one of the better ones because it's close to airports in Merida and Cancun.

And the next ship stop would be in Cozumel, so it wouldn't be that difficult to get to Cozumel to meet the ship.

I am not doubting the honesty of your post, but there are only two ways I can even imagining this happening. One is if you have never traveled in Mexico or Central America before, and the other is if your travelmates are so interesting that you never actually looked outside the window. In fact, traveling outside a city center it would be a memorable event if you could go any significant distance and not be stopped at a heavily armed checkpoint, let alone just passing armed men.

I have never seen them at any other cruise port like they were at progreso. With the exception of the armed us coast guard that you see as a part of homeland security in us ports and harbors.

I have never seen them at any other cruise port like they were at progreso. With the exception of the armed us coast guard that you see as a part of homeland security in us ports and harbors.

How many times have you been to Mexico?

Cozumel is the only port in Mexico I never see them. And I go to Cozumel a lot.

And the next ship stop would be in Cozumel, so it wouldn't be that difficult to get to Cozumel to meet the ship.

At that point it's almost not worth the expense of getting to Cozumel. You would be better off enjoying Progreso and Merida for a couple days, then fly back to the port city to meet the ship.

At that point it's almost not worth the expense of getting to Cozumel. You would be better off enjoying Progreso and Merida for a couple days, then fly back to the port city to meet the ship.

The ADO bus from Merida to Playa del Carmen would only be about $30, and Playa would be a great city to overnight in. And then it's only like $12 or something to take the ferry to Cozumel.

I've done 4 tours with AP and have never had a problem. They will give you the option of being dropped off back in Progreso or heading straight back to the ship. Usually we are so worn out we opt for heading directly back to the ship. Great service with AP and their tour prices are very reasonable.

How many times have you been to Mexico?

Cozumel is the only port in Mexico I never see them. And I go to Cozumel a lot.

Cozumel, Calica, and progreso. Mutiple times. Progreso is the only one i seen them at including those mexcian and all other Bahamas and Caribbean ports. Not trying to argue. Just an observation on my part. I will say this the one excursion i did at progreso i enjoyed very much. It was a beach party excursion. It was the drive there that i didnt enjoy. I feel the same way about Freeport. Many do not like it. I think once you get past the port Freeport is ver nice. I actually like it better then Nassau. Back to progreso. It is one of those ports i now stay on the ship to enjoy a quiet cruise ship by myself lol

Did the Dzibilchaltun ruins thru carnival and used the Price Guarantee using Autoprogresso's 4 hour excursion as the match and saved 33 dollars per person.

That gets to you in on-board credit? Can you use that money for gratuities?

Cozumel, Calica, and progreso. Mutiple times. Progreso is the only one i seen them at including those mexcian and all other Bahamas and Caribbean ports. Not trying to argue. Just an observation on my part. I will say this the one excursion i did at progreso i enjoyed very much. It was a beach party excursion. It was the drive there that i didnt enjoy. I feel the same way about Freeport. Many do not like it. I think once you get past the port Freeport is ver nice. I actually like it better then Nassau. Back to progreso. It is one of those ports i now stay on the ship to enjoy a quiet cruise ship by myself lol

There were two armed soldiers at the terminal the last time I was in Coz.

Progresso is NASTY so is the water. You can't walk around without someone begging you to buy something every 30 seconds.

"nasty" might be a stretch! It is very similar to what I have experienced in Jamaica depending on conditions.I have see Progreso water a pretty green color with good visibility. Kinda like Galveston on a good day!!:D Oh, btw...I'll take Progreso over Jamaica anytime, which also has hawkers!!

That gets to you in on-board credit? Can you use that money for gratuities?

It showed up as onboard credit. I don't know if you can use it for gratuities. I don't see why not.

Usually the people that say a port is nasty are the same ones that a) don't venture beyond the immediate vicinity of the port area, b) don't do any research beforehand about the place they are visiting, c) don't take any excursions, and d) don't feel comfortable visiting a "foreign" port unless they see a pretty Welcome Center with a Señor Frog's and a Starbucks Coffee. :rolleyes:

Progreso, like Belize, offer some of the most unique and authentic experiences in the Western Caribbean. Progreso in particular offers the opportunity to visit one of the 8 Wonders of the Modern World, Chichen Itza, as well as the beautiful and authentic colonial city of Merida. But those looking for the fake tourist experience won't appreciate either.

Now where is that darn 'LIKE' button? :)

"nasty" might be a stretch! It is very similar to what I have experienced in Jamaica depending on conditions.I have see Progreso water a pretty green color with good visibility. Kinda like Galveston on a good day!!:D Oh, btw...I'll take Progreso over Jamaica anytime, which also has hawkers!!

I disagree I LOVE Jamaica. The water there is BEAUTIFUL much nicer then Progreso. Maybe you caught Jamaica on a bad day? I will admit Progreso is MUCH nicer then Galveston.

The Fedarales are at all Mexico ports. You may have got "Lucky" and not seen them in Cozumel but they are there. Just this week they went down the sea wall in the back of a truck with their semi autos.

Jamaica we seen their military also at the Port when getting off the ship in December. They also carried large guns.

I can't seem to remember if when we were in Georgetown if the presence was there. In any foreign country you will see this as they are the military.

Cozumel, Calica, and progreso

The last cruise I was on a cruise ship that stopped in Calica was about 7 years ago and there was nothing at the port except a few vendors set up like a flea market so we had to go into Play del Carmen if we wanted to shop, eat or look around without having an excursion booked ~ I know we definitely saw the Federales armed with machine guns, my niece asked if she could take a picture of them and the answer was no of course, had to laugh....she was only 17 at the time and didn't know any better!!

If I go there,I might go with Auto Progreso. I was just wondering if anyone had ever heard about this happening

Autoprogreso provides excellent tours and they provide most of the transportation from the pier into town. I would guess both CCL and Autoprogreso have a good working relationship so that guests would not be late getting back to the ship from one of Autoprogreso's excursions.

I think it is time to dump Progreso and bring back Calica.

While I don't think they should drop Progreso, I would like the ships such as the Elation to alternate itineraries to include Cozumel and either Progreso or Calica. It would give people the opportunity to go to Playa del Carmen or to go to one of my favorite excursions, Xcaret.

Edited by djacobson