Canon Macro Lens Question

I was looking for a good macro lens for my 70D. The only brand one I can find is the 60mm. This seems to be a good lens but it doesn't have IS. Does anyone know of and would recommend an alternative that has IS?

Thanks in advance for any replies.....:):):)

Bob

I was looking for a good macro lens for my 70D. The only brand one I can find is the 60mm. This seems to be a good lens but it doesn't have IS. Does anyone know of and would recommend an alternative that has IS?

Thanks in advance for any replies.....:):):)

Bob

I own the Canon 100mm 2.8L macro with IS. Nice lens.

i-s3KdGPL-XL.jpg

Edited by mnbruce

I own the Canon 100mm 2.8L macro with IS. Nice lens.

Great shot:) Can I use an EF series lens with my 70D. I know the EF-S series lens can't be used on full frame cameras. I was wondering if this were the case with the EF series not being able to be used on non-full framed cameras?

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

Great shot:) Can I use an EF series lens with my 70D. I know the EF-S series lens can't be used on full frame cameras. I was wondering if this were the case with the EF series not being able to be used on non-full framed cameras?

Bob

I use it on my 60D.

Simple trick: grab your camera, and remove the lens or cap. Whaddya see? Red dot (EF) and white square (EF-S). Now look at your lens(es), whaddya see? You'll see a red dot (EF), OR you'll see a white square (EF-S). The lens will only fit on cameras with matching symbol. The FF (and the older 1.3x) cameras only have a red dot.

We have the 100/2.8 IS Macro as well, and my wife likes it. I would be afraid that 100mm is "too long" on a 70D (that was her comment on the 7D).

Something to consider as a 'dip my toe in the water': extension tubes. They fit between camera and (existing) lens, giving you macro capabilities but sacrificing the ability to focus far (until you remove the tube). A 12mm is probably $75, so way less than a new lens. We didn't use our tubes much, but it was nice to have for a while.

What are you planning on shooting with the macro lens? Do you have a tripod?

Stating what I hope is obvious, IS reduces movement of the camera; it has no effect on movement of the subject. If you're photographing small, stationary objects, you're almost certainly better off using a tripod (where IS will not help, and you generally should turn it off) so you can stabilize for longer exposures and smaller apertures allowing a better depth of field. If you're shooting insects, they move, and IS again won't contribute a lot to your shots. The 100mm f/2.8L IS is used by professionals on full frame cameras as a portrait lens, where IS can pay off.

I see four image stabilized lenses for Canon mounts. There are 105 and 150 mm f/2.8 lenses from Sigma; a 90mm f/2.8 from Tamron, and the Canon.

The Canon generally gets reviews as the best of the bunch, but you do pay for that. If you're just getting into macro, the extension tubes or the 60mm Canon probably make the most sense.

The 100mm f/2.8L IS is used by professionals on full frame cameras as a portrait lens, where IS can pay off.

It is also used by me on my crop camera for hand held macro, as shown above, where the IS comes in quite handy. I also use it on occasion for portraits and just walking around. It's a nice lens, and while it may be a more perfect fit on a full frame body, it is also a perfect fit for my 60D.

Edited by mnbruce

It is also used by me on my crop camera for hand held macro, as shown above, where the IS comes in quite handy. I also use it on occasion for portraits and just walking around. It's a nice lens, and while it may be a more perfect fit on a full frame body, it is also a perfect fit for my 60D.

Absolutely true. Sometimes you hit submit without completing your thought! You can certainly use it on a APS-C body, and if you are doing handheld macro of stationary objects, the IS is great. What I was trying to say is if you already have a tripod and are primarily shooting stationary objects where you can use the tripod, I'd rather have the tripod than IS for macro. Ignoring for a moment the other benefits of what many consider one of Canon's best lenses. It would probably be the first piece of "L" glass I'd buy if I ever decide to take the plunge!

You really don't need IS in a macro lens as you will most certainly be using a tripod - especially with the longer focal lengths (105mm etc).

If you want a great macro lens, check out the Tokina 100mm f/2.8 macro. It is relatively inexpensive, and a very sharp lens.

Absolutely true. Sometimes you hit submit without completing your thought! You can certainly use it on a APS-C body, and if you are doing handheld macro of stationary objects, the IS is great. What I was trying to say is if you already have a tripod and are primarily shooting stationary objects where you can use the tripod, I'd rather have the tripod than IS for macro. Ignoring for a moment the other benefits of what many consider one of Canon's best lenses. It would probably be the first piece of "L" glass I'd buy if I ever decide to take the plunge!

Gotcha. For me the lens is much more than a good macro lens. The fact that it is a great macro lens is just a bonus. It would be hard for me to justify that cost for a lens that I just used when I felt like shooting macro.