Granduer hitting heavy seas

You can tell who is sober and who is drunk. The sober ones are the ones staggering about, the drunk ones are those who are walking straight.

ROFLOL! Good to see you are successfully having good humor about the whole thing. I'm expecting to see a few "One Post Wonders" on the boards the next few days.

We've experienced those sorts of seas onboard both Grandeur and Enchantment and they move a LOT. We sailed through 40 foot seas on Explorer and it was much more stable due to her size.

We have friends enroute to Baltimore now for tomorrow's sailing and they just messaged on FB about the delay - they too confirm that they have been told to not even show up at the terminal until 3PM.

If the check in is from 3-6 pm. When do you think the sail away will be? We still need to do the muster drill once everyone is aboard.

Anyones guess, and only someone who has experienced this sort of delay before would even be able to make an educated one.

I'd be surprised if it will get out of port before 7-8PM though at the earliest. One would have to assume most passengers will be waiting at the terminal with bells on right at the crack of 3, but there's still a lot of work to be done (including muster as mentioned, amongst many other things) that need to be taken care of before departure.

Oh well, in the grand scheme of things it's not a vacation destroying situation (our friends seem to be taking it in stride - what can you do, it's a safety thing for the current people aboard), although as someone else touched on, expect plenty of whiners and complainers here nonetheless in the coming days. ;)

A few years ago on the Enchantment (When it was doing the Baltimore Cruises) a simalar thing happened to me. Very rough seas the whole way back from Labadee to Virginia Beach. I don't get motion sickness usually on ships, but after 2 days of 20' seas, i will admit it started getting to me. The entrance to the Chesepeake was very welcome!

My guess would be sail away by 7pm!

Edited by Firefighterhoop

At this time Grandeur is at Chesapeake Bay bridge so isn't too far, maybe 25 miles, from Baltimore so it shouldn't be very late after the original scheduled arrival time since it is doing 17.8 knots.

Edited by robtulipe

Screen shot of Grandeur current position. Grandeur is the dark blue or navy ship symbol at lower right. It has slowed to 16.2 knots which is still fairly fast considering its location in the upper Chesapeake.

attachment.php?attachmentid=304852&d=1394279860

Grandeur02.jpg.3e84e7c3f8ef933e7abb4f82120d4477.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

If the check in is from 3-6 pm. When do you think the sail away will be? We still need to do the muster drill once everyone is aboard.

Muster drill could be delayed til Sunday morning. Once they board everyone and start serving dinner, they will sail asap. When we were supposed to board Carnival Glory in 2008 from PC the ship was delayed getting in and we didn't board til about 5:30 pm. We all went straight to dinner as we boarded and a lot of people were delayed even later in boarding due to the terminal being too full for fire laws so they were kept in the parking lot and on buses. As a result some boarded as late as about 9 and we sailed at 10 or so. We did muster the next morning. Carnival gave out bottles of water, etc to those of us that actually were in the terminal when they closed it. The Baltimore terminal is even smaller than PC's so there will be lines, etc and I bet they sail the minute they have everyone onboard. That said, if boarding is scheduled 3-6, that doesn't mean everyone will be onboard by 6. So, it could be 8pm before they actually sailaway.

Edited by BND

Muster drill could be delayed til Sunday morning. Once they board everyone and start serving dinner, they will sail asap. When we were supposed to board Carnival Glory in 2008 from PC the ship was delayed getting in and we didn't board til about 5:30 pm. We all went straight to dinner as we boarded and a lot of people were delayed even later in boarding due to the terminal being too full for fire laws so they were kept in the parking lot and on buses. As a result some boarded as late as about 9 and we sailed at 10 or so. We did muster the next morning. Carnival gave out bottles of water, etc to those of us that actually were in the terminal when they closed it. The Baltimore terminal is even smaller than PC's so there will be lines, etc and I bet they sail the minute they have everyone onboard. That said, if boarding is scheduled 3-6, that doesn't mean everyone will be onboard by 6. So, it could be 8pm before they actually sailaway.

With the excellent and beloved Capt. Espen as master, they very well may be standing muster at 8pm before they pull away from the dock. The Costa Concordia changed the process.

I think your must drill will be on sailing day - despite the time.

We were on Radiance of the Seas on a cruise delayed due to noro on the previous cruise - we had our muster drill at 10:45pm - it was painful, we were knackered and just wanted to lie down and sleep on this first night. Saw ppl with youngish kids, wouldn't want to deal with the sleepy kids (been there, done that).

Then we found ourselves pushed into the cnr and fhen the warning sirens went off - right over our heads, had loss of hearing - but was ok in the morning.

I realise they have to do these drills before sailing, but the passenger stairs were moved away from the ship by about 6.30pm - can't see why they couldn'nt have held it earlier - and then what really peeved us - was the next morning a nice little letter was left on our bed advising it was noted we hadn't attended the drill...so then had to go and waste time explaining that we had attended and given our names to the tall blonde floppy haired dancer - we heard no more.

Enjoy your cruise - hopefully its not too late a drill.

Never complain about muster. It's for YOUR safety. Yes, after you've done it once it's boring, yes, it can be cold, windy, rainy, snowy, or just generally miserable out, but in the end it's for YOUR safety..so just do it.

I thought by law they weren't able to sail until muster was done?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I thought by law they weren't able to sail until muster was done?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That may be the law, but I have read of others who have had their muster delayed. Honestly, I was really just posting what our experience was.

As for the pp who posted about doing it after 10 pm. I know quite a few people who usually go to bed by 10, even on cruises, especially elderly and children. I'm not sure how much some people retained at that hour being so tired, etc. My boys, when they were growing up would ask to go to bed by 9, even on vacation because that was what they were used to. I'm sure there are very cranky children when it's done that late. I totally support doing the muster asap, but I do have to wonder how would have everyone fed, etc and still get the drill done without delaying sailing too much when they were originally talking about coming in and boarding. With the earlier time now, they'll be able to before departure no problem. It may possibly delay early seating a bit. These are just my thoughts.