How to get in or out of Fairbanks?

kqcallahan

Just curious, we are planning to do a cruisetour Summer 2015. Depending which direction it'll be starting or ending in Fairbanks. But when I tried AirCanada they don't even fly into Fairbanks. So who does? Do I have to go through a small airline and meet up with the bigger airlines? or? Any help would be great!

Just curious, we are planning to do a cruisetour Summer 2015. Depending which direction it'll be starting or ending in Fairbanks. But when I tried AirCanada they don't even fly into Fairbanks. So who does? Do I have to go through a small airline and meet up with the bigger airlines? or? Any help would be great!

There are several airlines flying out of Fairbanks (Code FAI). I believe we flew Delta last time and I know for sure Alaska Air does. Also US Airways has some flights. Try using Kayak and it will show you the flights in and out of FAI.

Cheers, Kenn

I don't remember Air Canada ever having flights into Fairbanks (remember -- we're not in Canada). Air North has some flights, but I don't remember Air Canada flights. Our dominant carrier is Alaskan Airlines, with other carriers offering flights during the summer.

Your best bets in the summer are Alaska Air, United, or Frontier to the lower 48 without a stop in Anchorage, but because it looks like you are going to eastern Canada you'll probably have to fly to Anchorage. Most majors fly into Anchorage during the summer including Air Canada. Both Alaska and Ravn Alaska ( formerly Era) have multiple flights per day from Fairbanks to Anchorage.

Edited by camarodrivenrs

I don't remember Air Canada ever having flights into Fairbanks (remember -- we're not in Canada). Air North has some flights, but I don't remember Air Canada flights. Our dominant carrier is Alaskan Airlines, with other carriers offering flights during the summer.

Alaskan is the beer, Alaska is the airline :D

There are several airlines flying out of Fairbanks (Code FAI). I believe we flew Delta last time and I know for sure Alaska Air does. Also US Airways has some flights. Try using Kayak and it will show you the flights in and out of FAI.

Cheers, Kenn

US Airways has never flown into Fairbanks. Would have been a code share.

Domestic and int'l carriers serving Fairbanks are listed on the airport web site:

http://dot.alaska.gov/faiiap/airline_info.shtml

If it's easier and cheaper you can always fly into Anchorage, then go to Fairbanks by plane, Alaska Railroad, bus, or rental car.

Alaska Airlines has several flights a day ... 1 hr flight, about $100.

We are flying into Anchorage and staying overnight at a hotel near the airport. Next day we are taking Alaska Air to Fairbanks. I figure we can get the time change out of the way, get a good night's sleep and start our trip fresh. The flight to Fairbanks was just under $100 pp and we will not have to pay to check a bag since we are flying from one Alaska city to another.

Mary Lou

Domestic and int'l carriers serving Fairbanks are listed on the airport web site:

http://dot.alaska.gov/faiiap/airline_info.shtml

Note that although United is not on this list, they do have seasonal service to FAI, ending around mid-August. I know because I was waiting for them to post their schedules so I could use miles, but unfortunately, they stop flying the week before we fly home. We'll be on Delta (I think their flights from FAI are to either SEA or MSP with connections from there).

I only made the mistake of flying from the lower 48 to FAI in coach, without a stop once. It is too long to be in a Boeing 737. For me, I'd rather sit in Anchorage for an extra 45 mins and catch the next flight to Fairbanks than do it all in one leg. Unless you're talking first class.

Our cruisetour in early June ends in Fairbanks mid-week. We were trying to get back to Dulles (DC). The flights were so expensive and inconvenient (leaving at 1 am for example) that we decided to fly from Anchorage on the week-end, spending a few extra days in Alaska. When researching how to get from Fairbanks to Anchorage, I discovered that one way car rentals are prohibitively expensive (extra $300 or so upcharge), the train was over $200 pp and the cheapest bus was at least $100 pp and a very long ride because it went into Denali, where we will have just been. Ended up booking an Alaska Air flight for $115 pp........wish I could've found those under $100 fares but originally it was showing $150 and I was happy to get it for $115 "on sale". There were lots of flight options available. The flight home from Anchorage was more than $115 cheaper than the cheapest Fairbanks flight and had much better times available. Hope this helps..........

Our cruisetour in early June ends in Fairbanks mid-week. We were trying to get back to Dulles (DC). The flights were so expensive and inconvenient (leaving at 1 am for example) that we decided to fly from Anchorage on the week-end, spending a few extra days in Alaska. When researching how to get from Fairbanks to Anchorage, I discovered that one way car rentals are prohibitively expensive (extra $300 or so upcharge), the train was over $200 pp and the cheapest bus was at least $100 pp and a very long ride because it went into Denali, where we will have just been. Ended up booking an Alaska Air flight for $115 pp........wish I could've found those under $100 fares but originally it was showing $150 and I was happy to get it for $115 "on sale". There were lots of flight options available. The flight home from Anchorage was more than $115 cheaper than the cheapest Fairbanks flight and had much better times available. Hope this helps..........

We wanted to fly from Dulles too...but found better prices from BWI into Vancouver and back from Fairbanks....and that was with an overnight park and sleep package.

US Airways has never flown into Fairbanks. Would have been a code share.

Correct. They fly to Anchorage but not Fairbanks.

I did Delta all the way up on our trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD