Using O Airfare Included in Price to Venice Help!

Rootbeer4

Agree with searching for your own air fare but, better to use itasoftware.com as it includes ALL airline except SW and Jet Blue and you don't want those anyway. A great source of flight info although you can't book there, you get all of the info to book from the site.

The commercial sites such as kayak, orbitz, expedia, etc do not include all of the flights that itasoftware does. Itasoftware sells the commercial version to most of the airlines so included more flights.

Thanks for this tip Dave! I got way more options for our 2015 Australia trip than I've found before!

Love the things I learn on CC :)

YES. See response #17 which explains it fully.

Yes that is where I read it first. I did not understand this. We need to see family before and wanted to see the destination for after. Going with their travel means an extra 700$ (for two people)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Summerl30

Yes that is where I read it first. I did not understand this. We need to see family before and wanted to see the destination for after. Going with their travel means an extra 700$ (for two people)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

No, not $700 for two people. The price for the deviation is $175 pp or $350 per couple. Still much more than the extra cost to Oceania but, half what you thought. You can avoid the $350 by taking the credit for the air and booking it yourself however, with the lower credits lately, will be extremely difficult to do better than having Oceania book your flights and pay the deviation fee.

No, not $700 for two people. The price for the deviation is $175 pp or $350 per couple. Still much more than the extra cost to Oceania but, half what you thought. You can avoid the $350 by taking the credit for the air and booking it yourself however, with the lower credits lately, will be extremely difficult to do better than having Oceania book your flights and pay the deviation fee.

That is why we sigh and pay the deviation fee to get a better flight time. Mind you the last time we blew it. We should have done some checking on our own and found out that flying from home to London and then down to Africa was much quicker than flying from home to Hong Kong and then to Africa. Live and learn. We were going through a family crisis at the time and I simply did not do due diligence.

If you are flying from a non gateway airport it may cost you extra

If you fly to a different destination city that where the cruise starts it may cost you extra

You have to compare all your options with the apples to apples scenario

Deviation fee is $175 pp & covers r/t

Lyn

The air credit for OP's cruise is $900 pp. If Oceania can arrange the Delta non-stops on the dates OP wants for just the deviation fee with no up charge, it would be a good deal, IMHO.

I agree

Sometimes using Oceania air & paying the deviation just works out better in the long run ;)

You MUST compare & do what works for you

Lyn

Yes I would prefer non-stop. I was under the impression that I DO have to pay the difference between the $900 allowance and any flight that I choose myself. And then the deviation on top of that. That's how I came up with the extra

So say Delta is $1700, the diff is $800pp plus $175. :eek: That's how I came up with the extra $2000 in my original post.

Why would you not take the Delta flights ..they are non stop ??

I have a feeling you do not understand the process with Oceania & maybe your TA does not either

If you can get the flights you want the only extra fee is the deviation if you fly in a day or more before the cruise (recommended) or stay a few days after the cruise

Sometimes there will be an upcharge

This is for economy air if your want bus class then it will cost more

Yes I would prefer non-stop. I was under the impression that I DO have to pay the difference between the $900 allowance and any flight that I choose myself. And then the deviation on top of that. That's how I came up with the extra

So say Delta is $1700, the diff is $800pp plus $175. :eek: That's how I came up with the extra $2000 in my original post.

NO

You pay the deviations fee

If you request specific flights sometimes they will cost Oceania more so they may charge you an UPCHARGE if you choose to accept the flights

If you do not want to pay the extra just say NO

Ask what flights they will give with only paying the deviation fee

It is not as complicated as it sounds :D

NO

You pay the deviations fee

If you request specific flights sometimes they will cost Oceania more so they may charge you an UPCHARGE if you choose to accept the flights

If you do not want to pay the extra just say NO

Ask what flights they will give with only paying the deviation fee

It is not as complicated as it sounds :D

To put this another way, when a Passenger requests an Air Deviation, Oceania comes back with a Quote regarding the cost of the requested flight.

If said flight is more expensive, there may be an up-charge involved, but even if there is, it may not be a dollar for dollar surcharge of the entire retail difference in cost. As a bulk buyer, Oceania does not pay the same Fares as you or I.

In any case, after receiving the Quote, the Passenger then has the option of accepting it, asking for another flight entirely, or deciding not to Deviate through Oceania at all.

The Deviation fee, though paid at the time when Deviation is chosen, does not become nonrefundable until a route is accepted by the Passenger.

To put this another way, when a Passenger requests an Air Deviation, Oceania comes back with a Quote regarding the cost of the requested flight.

If said flight is more expensive, there may be an up-charge involved, but even if there is, it may not be a dollar for dollar surcharge of the entire retail difference in cost. As a bulk buyer, Oceania does not pay the same Fares as you or I.

In any case, after receiving the Quote, the Passenger then has the option of accepting it, asking for another flight entirely, or deciding not to Deviate through Oceania at all.

The Deviation fee, though paid at the time when Deviation is chosen, does not become nonrefundable until a route is accepted by the Passenger.

Excellent explanation of the process. Sounds like OP's TA is not familiar with the way things work with O's "free" air. Hope they get it sorted out.

My ta is insisting I will have to pay the full retail difference:confused:

It could turn out to be just that-

It might be a wash.

Or, it could turn out to be hundreds of dollars less.

You won't know until you get the Quote, but as I say, you have nothing to lose (and everything to gain) by requesting that Quote.

I don't mean to be unkind, but it does sound like you need a new TA. :o

The deviation fee becomes payable & non refundable ONCE the flights are accepted

You do NOT pay until you accept the flights offered

Lyn

This is my method for booking my flights using the Oceania deviation

1) ASK my TA to check what O will give me on the specific dates I WANT to fly

2) look at the ITA website for flights I want

If Oceania comes back with flights I do not like I ask my TA to ask Oceania for the specific flights I Want

EG: Toronto to Miami AC flt 916

Miami to Toronto AC flt 917

If I do not have any upcharges & like the flights chosen.... I accept the flights pay my Deviation fee

Has worked for me in the past

YMMV

I think at this point I would be asking your TA to put you on a conferance call with her/him & Oceania

That way you can get the information 1st hand & not by a TA that seems to not know how the system works

Have your dates ready that you want to fly into & out of the port cities

Good luck

Lyn

So as it stands now, my ta put a "deviation request" for a flight on Air Berlin with layovers through Berlin going and Dusseldorf returning. She said to see what they come back with tomorrow and then see about Delta. You can only put in 2 requests?

:)I so much appreciate everyones help and comments!

So as it stands now, my ta put a "deviation request" for a flight on Air Berlin with layovers through Berlin going and Dusseldorf returning. She said to see what they come back with tomorrow and then see about Delta. You can only put in 2 requests?

:)I so much appreciate everyones help and comments!

I wish you luck

Do not accept any flights unless you are happy with the routing

Less connections less chance your luggage will get lost :D

Lyn

Hi. I have used air deviation a few times. I research what flights I want and what they would cost me privately. Then I have my TA submit my request. I have never been denied my choices and have never paid any additional fee other than the air deviation. I do live in NY which may make it easier for o to get my flights. Do the hw first

and put in for deviation as soon as it opens for your sailing. I have gotten different info on that as well so call o for your exact date. Hope this helps

Fern

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

After some nudging (thanks R) my ta contacted O, and what do you know? They offered the Delta non stop NYC/Venice and return Rome/NYC for an up charge of $100pp. Of course we will pay the deviation anyway because we are going 2 days early. Of course I said YES!

So thank you fellow O cruisers for the real low down!

After some nudging (thanks R) my ta contacted O, and what do you know? They offered the Delta non stop NYC/Venice and return Rome/NYC for an up charge of $100pp. Of course we will pay the deviation anyway because we are going 2 days early. Of course I said YES!

So thank you fellow O cruisers for the real low down!

Congratulations! Happy it worked out for you. If you want to upgrade to Delta's Economy Comfort (more leg room, priority boarding & a few other perks) you can make your final payment now and ask O to issue your tickets now. As I understand it, you can't request Economy Comfort until the tickets are issued.

Thanks :D Yes, I do want EC. I assume you mean the final payment for the cruise? Sorry if I sound like a dunce. (not due til May 15)

Congratulations! Happy it worked out for you. If you want to upgrade to Delta's Economy Comfort (more leg room, priority boarding & a few other perks) you can make your final payment now and ask O to issue your tickets now. As I understand it, you can't request Economy Comfort until the tickets are issued.

Hi. I have used air deviation a few times. I research what flights I want and what they would cost me privately. Then I have my TA submit my request. I have never been denied my choices and have never paid any additional fee other than the air deviation. I do live in NY which may make it easier for o to get my flights. Do the hw first

and put in for deviation as soon as it opens for your sailing. I have gotten different info on that as well so call o for your exact date. Hope this helps

Fern

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Thank you Fern. When my ta came back to me with the $100 up charge, I jumped at the chance. See my original post for what I thought I had to pay! I know a lot better for next time.