Alaska with a scooter

Lil Starr

I have a somewhat difficult question. My parents have always wanted to cruise to Alaska, so I finally decided to take them on a trip there. I'm finding out that it is difficult to travel to Alaska if you have a poor mobility. My question is...Are there any good shoe Excursions in Alaska for a person in a wheelchair and an electric Scooter? Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA

DaulphinZone

Yes there are some tours available. Will be noted as accessible on shore excursion lists.

I suggest you determine what tours are of the most interest then look further at accessibility.

As an example, the White Pass RR and Orca Enterprises are accessible.

Many people cruise Alaska in wheelchairs and scooter and have a wonderful time.

As stated check to see which excursions are wheelchair accessible. All of the major cruise ports will have sidewalks for touring the towns and they should be fine there as well.

I have a somewhat difficult question. My parents have always wanted to cruise to Alaska, so I finally decided to take them on a trip there. I'm finding out that it is difficult to travel to Alaska if you have a poor mobility. My question is...Are there any good shoe Excursions in Alaska for a person in a wheelchair and an electric Scooter? Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA
A great advantage of an Alaska cruise for those who use wheelchairs and scooters is getting to visit ports that are ADA compliant.

Even the free downtown loop bus in Ketchikan had a wheelchair lift.

If you have not already done so, I would suggest checking out the forum

Disabled Cruise Travel

which has info on shore excursions for disabled cruisers in this thread

Resources in Alaska for Disabled Cruisers

DaulphinZone

My DW has taken a scooter to Alaska for the past six years. She takes the scooter off of the ship at each port, including some that just tender, and drives around the towns.

Scooters can drive much faster than folks can walk so they can do a lot more sightseeing than those who just walk.

Ketchikan: The Crab Fishing excursion on the Aleutian Ballad of TVs "Deadliest Catch" fame is especially good for scooters.

Juneau: Whale Watching on the larger boats can accomodate scooters and wheel chairs.