What would you do? RCCL vs NCL family cruising

Mariela

Hi!

My husband and I are planning our one and only vacation for this year. We have been checking cruises for the last 3 weeks and we are having a hard time making a decision. We live in FL so driving to either Fort Lauderdale or Miami is not an issue. Our approximate budget is 7K and we definitely would like to stay in a suite. We had always been RCCL cruisers until I checked NCL last week. They have very good prices and you get a lot of bang for your buck with all their current sales and packages. For example a Haven balcony suite with (655-824 sf) on the NCL Getaway is around 6,500.00 for the three of us versus a GS at the Allure (371 sf plus balcony) which is around $7500.00. And NCL has a special running with the Unlimited Dining and Unlimited Beverage package included free with a suite which makes it a really great value. We have a 4 year old and we aren't traveling with family so we would like to have a room with separate rooms(or some sort of separation) so we can enjoy some quiet time without waking up our daughter. The RCCL GS doesn't provide that separation, the NCL Haven suite does. BUT, the problem is deciding which one, the Allure or the Getaway? Which one has better programs for kids? Service? Food? I read a lot of reviews about NCL Getaway and most of them weren't very good. That the food was bad, bad service, etc, etc. We also looked at the Sky Crown Loft suites at the Allure (RCCL) which provide some separation but we didn't like what these suites overlook at. Apparently all of them overlook other areas of the ship instead of the ocean thus lacking some privacy. So, given all these considerations what would you do? At the end, we are looking for a good kids program, and activities for our daughter to do but at the same time available options for when we want to spend some time for ourselves. We know that these ships are completely different so comparing these two cruises is unfair and I'm not trying to compare them. Decisions, decisions!:confused:

We just did the Epic and the Allure back to back. The Epic is very similar to the Getaway - but the Getaway has even more outdoor activities. If your little one is 42", she will be able to do just about everything - small ropes course, spider climb and slide, minigolf, bowling, waterslides(except freefall), splash pool, etc. The Nickelodeon characters are lots of fun. We love O'Sheehan's - nice to have a good food option 24/7.

We also really enjoyed the Allure. Just my opinion - no flaming please - it is more of a ship "to see" than a ship "to experience". My DD9 had a nice time but there was just not much for her to do. The ship is very impressive, but once we toured it and marveled at it's uniqueness - we just didn't find much to actually do - especially for our 9 yr old. She liked the carousel - but how many times can you ride a carousel. She doesn't like rock climbing and she was too small for the flowrider and the zipline. The iceskating is fun to try - but once was enough. My nephew who is 13 found much more to do. The water show was nice, but Chicago was horrible - just not our thing. We've seen lots of show on Broadway - this was just not entertaining to us.

While I think these are both great ships - I think for ages 4-12, the new NCL ships offer so much more to actually do.

NCL has some of the best suite "perks" going...much better than RCI offers! I'd go NCL!

That's what we thought and the perks are making the decision very difficult. You get a lot of room for your money and the balconies are huge. :)

We just did the Epic and the Allure back to back. The Epic is very similar to the Getaway - but the Getaway has even more outdoor activities. If your little one is 42", she will be able to do just about everything - small ropes course, spider climb and slide, minigolf, bowling, waterslides(except freefall), splash pool, etc. The Nickelodeon characters are lots of fun. We love O'Sheehan's - nice to have a good food option 24/7.

We also really enjoyed the Allure. Just my opinion - no flaming please - it is more of a ship "to see" than a ship "to experience". My DD9 had a nice time but there was just not much for her to do. The ship is very impressive, but once we toured it and marveled at it's uniqueness - we just didn't find much to actually do - especially for our 9 yr old. She liked the carousel - but how many times can you ride a carousel. She doesn't like rock climbing and she was too small for the flowrider and the zipline. The iceskating is fun to try - but once was enough. My nephew who is 13 found much more to do. The water show was nice, but Chicago was horrible - just not our thing. We've seen lots of show on Broadway - this was just not entertaining to us.

While I think these are both great ships - I think for ages 4-12, the new NCL ships offer so much more to actually do.

Thanks for your honest opinion. I was really looking for someone who had sailed both ships who could give me an opinion!! My DD is 4 years old and she is tall for her age so I'm sure she is going to be able to enjoy these activities. I get what you said about the AOS being a ship more to "see" than to "experience". I saw it docked once and I was in awe and that's why I'm debating this and I have been wanting to book the AOS since then. But at the end we have to decide on a ship that offers amenities for the kids plus some time for our selves.

Also this year we are celebrating our 10th year anniversary since we started dating so I wanted it to be super special (the wedding anniversary is in 2 years so we still have time to plan it :p)!!!

Edited by Mariela

That's what we thought and the perks are making the decision very difficult. You get a lot of room for your money and the balconies are huge. :)

And there are more/better perks on NCL for suite passengers, and I hear it's great being in the Haven. We were in a regular balcony, and bought the UBP - very nice addition! And to eat in specialty restaurants every night would be great - a real all-inclusive! We do not like set dining times, so NCL works for us.

At 4, I think you will get the bigger bang for your buck on NCL. If your child was younger than 3, then I would say Royal on because they would have the nursery for your little one.

Thanks for your input. My husband is fine with the Norwegian Getaway. I'm the one obsessed with the Allure. :)

I agree that NCL has a lot to offer. If you have the UDP, you don't have to worry about the quality of food in the main dining room. And your butler can serve food in your suite if you need some downtime as a family. In fact, we have found the butler to be a great perk when our DS was younger. He would bring special treats, serve dinner for him while we got dressed and get DVD's for him to watch. It made the vacation so much more relaxing.

Thanks for your input. My husband is fine with the Norwegian Getaway. I'm the one obsessed with the Allure. :)

I know how you feel. I just had in my mind that we had to cruise on the "largest ship in the world". I think I had it so spectacular in my mind that it would have been difficult to meet my expectations. Plus, we did the Epic the week before and had such an aweome time. I feel justified in raving about the Epic. Like I said - Allure is an amazing ship - just not enough for us to do.

Go with your heart. If you are taking one vacation and are interested in the Allure- do it!. Every family is different. My son likes the youth program on board and if there were waterslides- he'd probably only do them once and the novelty would wear off- same with the flow rider and rock climbing wall. My son likes the organized activities- so every child is different. I think ships are thrilling for kids and my son has begged to try Oasis and Allure. Your kids are going to like whatever you do- they will be wowed with either ship I'm sure.

I just wanted to let you know, I like both RCI and NCL. However, as someone who plans and books trips for many families each year I have had a few families complain about the kids club program hours on NCL. A few families had trouble being able to schedule specialty dinner/shows because the show would begin at the exact time that the kids club would re-open in the evenings. So one person had to run the kids to the club while another had to go in to the show or dinner show and hope that the doors wouldn't close before the other parents was able to get back over there!

Otherwise both have so many great options!!

NCL definitely does suites right, but AOS has some special suites you wont find anywhere else!