Would you buy pictures if they were cheaper?

kona_wahine

We never buy photos. They really aren't any better quality than most point and shoot cameras can get. I don't see how this service makes any kind of profit, even at the exorbitant price. Paying for the crew to be photogs, the props, the printing, etc. They'd have to sell a LOT of photos to turn a profit!

We have bought many pictures because our kids are grown and we don't go to professional photographers anymore. That said, the pictures are way overpriced and we would buy more if they cost less.

The waste makes me sick. I wish they didn't print all of them and that they could be viewed on a digital machine like I have seen on some of the RCCL cruises we've been on.

We avoid the photographers if we aren't really serious and when they approach the table at dinner, we decline since we don't generally buy those poses.

My DH and myself are really new to cruising having only been on 3 cruises so far. We like to take pictures to remind ourselves of the trip and we always get the formal night shots. However, we would definitely buy more if the prices were a little lower. The first cruise we went one the 8 x 10's were $10 each and we had a LOT to choose from! the last cruise they were $20 each and we bought about half of what would have been purchased had the price not been so high. We tossed about 80% of our pictures and some we would have wanted to keep had the cost not excluded buying that many! Too bad - they have a good thing there but they are going to price themselves out of it completely if they keep on this way.

I don't usually buy them because of the price. I will sometimes buy 1 but I would consider buying more if they were cheaper or they had an option to buy all on a CD for a certain price. I would also rather they be viewable on a screen rather than the waste of printing all of them out. They could have photo viewing stations around the ship and on your cabin tv.

If you think Carnival's prices are high, go to a professional photographer and see what they charge. Most of them will charge up to $100 just for the sitting, then any prints are above and beyond that. When our boys were little, we spent a fortune on "packages" from Sears, Olan Mills, etc.

I totally agree, BUT, the pictures are already printed. Why not sell them at half the price, sell twice as much (if not more) and make the customer happy? The amount they throw away is crazy. I sure hope they are recycled.

I have to say I really enjoy the pictures. We try to be sure to get lots taken so we can take a few home. Hunting down our photos is our usual before dinner activity. I spend between $50 and $150 each cruise, depending on how many look good. If they cut down on the photo opportunities, I would likely buy less because I'd have less to choose from We typically don't buy the formal night posed pictures because I don't like the poses. I like the candid shot much better - they are cheaper and it's easier to throw a 4x6 or 5x7 in a frame than it is for an 8x10.

I don't worry too much about the waste. A carnival cruise is not really about conserving resources. The unpurchased photos from a week-long cruise probably fills up a few recycling bins. Probably 1/10 of 1% of the total waste produced.

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Forums mobile app

I really like the candid black and white photos that they have started taking when u get off the ship. Usually a second photographer is at a different angle and gets really good pics imho. Yes they do charge too much for the pics and I would buy more if they were cheaper.

Kim

I must be in the minority. Some spend their money on drinks, I spend on photos. We usually buy way too many but we like the memories. If the prices dropped on photos, I would buy all of them.

Last year my cousin spent maybe $40 on drinks; $160 on pics. She's not very good at taking pictures and not a drinker. The pics she said would have forever and didn't think twice about buying them. I do love the black & white pics. Rarely take any of the formal ones even when we get dolled up for elegant night.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I've purchased only 1 photo from each cruise.

Wish they would do the same as Disney World, photographers all over the place but not "in your face", have loads of photos taken on the "photopass" or whatever it's called, then buy the whole lot on a CD or download from their web site at the end of the trip. I would certainly purchase this way if Carnival had the option, even though it would cost more than the one photo that I do buy on a cruise.

Well like some have said , I usually but just one or two of the ones we really like, then I come home, print out the phot release then go to Walgreens and print out as many as I want of what ever sizes I want ! If we go with friends and family we usually each pick a picture we like and then when we get back home we make copies at Walgreens and exchange them! Saves everyone a lot of $$$

We are not drinkers but I sure do like the photos. Would LOVE to see a CD with all taken on it for a set price and I know I would purchase it. So nice to be able to print what I like in sizes I like. Since other cruise lines seem to be able to do this, and I just bet they sell more in total dollars, it would be very nice if Carnival offered the CD.

I wish they would offer more 4X6 options. I have bought some 10x12's, but who has the wall space or photo albums to put 10X12's in. We don't usually get the ones they take when you get off the ship because you are usually carrying a bunch of stuff and have sunglasses on, hair blowing around etc. If they did posed pics inside and made them into 4x6's I would probably buy some.

I thought there was a process you could view the digital pictures on your tv screen in your cabin...select and have it charged on your S&S account and print out at the kiosh across from the purser desk

Was I dreaming this or one too many DOTD:confused:

That may be true on some ships. However, if they did something like that, people would be using their camera with the flash off, and taking the picture.

This all gets back to cost. If they priced the photos reasonably or offered a reasonable CD package, then more people would buy them, based on the comments in this thread. A CD costs very little and producing a CD with digital photos (without a watermark) would be a big seller I would bet.

I haven't bought a photo in the last 15 or 20 cruises. I try very hard not to have my picture taken and always say no if I'm asked. They take really good photos, but I'm not very photogenic. :(

I am proud to say that on the last 3 or so cruises I have taken, no photos of either myself or DH graced the racks of the photo shop, because we declined all photo opportunities. This avoids all of the waste from unwanted photos. We have sailed so many times that pictures are unnecessary and if we really want our picture taken we just give someone our phone to get a picture of us.

And to those who say professional photographers cost a lot more on land... they should, because these ship photographers are not portrait artists and do not know how to avoid the 10 pound increase that cameras tend to create. You can't compare the photographers on a cruise ship to a a professional studio.

I would do a $100 digital package like Disney's photopass option, especially if they would include some professionally taken pix from around the ship, sunsets etc that I could include in my scrapbook.

They are just way too expensive.