First Cruise, Alaska Ship Choices and Tips?

Fog123

My 2 cents here, although I haven't done Alaska (will be this August on Century) I've sailed 2 Pacific coastal cruises on NCL Pearl AND HAL Zaandam. I'm in my early 50's and think the one best to fit your taste would be HAL. The food was amazing and ship very laid back as it gears to older clients. You can also take your own wine on board to have in your cabin, as much as you wish, which cuts down on the bat tab. They offered happy hours 2/1 drinks. NCL will charge you a fee even if you consume in cabin.

I'm traveling with a group so Celebrity wasn't my choice but I doubt I'll be disappointed. Cruising is the best part!

I would suggest doing Butchard Gardens if your port city is Victoria, otherwise you are looking at a long and costly day trip from Vancouver. It is worth it! 1 1/2 from Vancouver to ferry terminal 1 1/2 hr ferry ride and from the terminal to the gardens add 1/2 more, ferries run hourly in summer. See bcferries. Com

Good luck!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

HAL no longer allows unlimited wine carried onboard. Recent change. EM

Hi,

We have decided to do an Alaskan Cruise with another couple. This will be a first cruise for all four of us.

Two of us are turning 50 this year and one slightly older and one slightly younger. Two of us are avid travellers, the others enjoy travelling but have 4 kids so don't do it as often as they would like. All of us love birding and scenery. None of us are smokers. We are all used to getting up at 5:00 am and going to bed correspondingly early. None of us are interested in partying. Two of us are plain eaters, the other two are more adventurous though one would prefer to be gluten free. We are casual rather than fancy.

One of us is a teetotaler, one of us would probably have a glass of wine at dinner, and the other two might drink a bit more but not hugely so.

One of us has a bad back so we have decided to do a Vancouver round trip 7 day cruise to limit flying (he's 6'4" and will be flying first class while the rest of us do cattle car). We live in the Toronto area.

We've also decided to upgrade to a balcony.

Our choices are the HAL Zaandam, the Celebrity Century, and the Island Princess. All four are similarly priced though the Century is about $750 more per couple (but comes with Concierge Class).

Is the concierge class worth it?

We've been reading about the ships and think that we're leaning towards the Century or the Zaandam. We are concerned that the Princess might be too active, but maybe we need to look more.

I've been reading the forums and each seems to have its pros and cons.

A question, if we're moderate in our tastes, what can we expect the additional bill to be like at the end of the cruise from the ship? I'm asking about the not-really-obvious costs that a newbie like me might not know about. Ship excursions are something that I can figure out on my own.

I guess I'm looking for anyone who would say "if I were you based on your information I would choose... or stay away from ...".

We're going in with an open mind and looking forward to it. Hoping to make the decision in the next week or so.

Thanks much for your help. Suggestions, encouragement, etc., all appreciated.

I went on the Golden Princess last year...round trip from Seattle. It's much easier to do a rndtrp. I stayed near Seatac the night before,took hotel shuttle to the airport and met the Princess rep. I went before my check in time,so I had extra time to explore the ship before we departed. A balcony is absolutely necessary for me....I spent many peaceful hours there...sometimes I would go up to Horizon Court buffet and bring my food back into my room to enjoy on the balcony. I'll be taking my 7th Princess cruise in April.....and I've never been disappointed.. You can do as little or as much a you want....there's a good mix of ages....I find Holland America tends to attract the too "mature' set.....and I'm in my 60's. So many choices....good luck deciding....

Edited by liltravelgal
added more info