Spa etiquette

Jenjer

I do not usually use the spa twice in 10 cruises and both times it was when the ship was in port for a massage and my family was ashore. I had a broken foot at the time.

I plan on getting a spa pass on Getaway because I love the idea of the salt room and the therapy pools. Not to mention I can hide from my kids and n laws :-) The kids and DH will be spending all their time on the slides anyway.

So would it be weird for me to bring my ipod and head phones and so I can listen to my books while relaxing. Not in the water but the other areas. Yes it will be in a waterproof case.

Also then if my family has to or need to get ahold of me they could text me using the NCL app. Does that app work on Getaway?

I plan on bringing my iPad and reading while relaxing in the loungers in the spa area. I can't imagine it being bad etiquette. As long as what you are doing is quiet no one should care.

While on the spa topic.....on my recent cruise on the Gem, I purchased a spa pass for $189 on embarkation day. The next morning I went to the spa adn was relaxing on the thermal lounger. Two older ladies on a scooter had kind of taken over the entire area there. They parked their scooters right next to their loungers blocking everyone else's view. Well that was not the big deal. They were using the spa pool, the thalasotherapy pool etc and then came adn sat on the lounger next to mine.......that is when I saw, to my horror, that one of the ladies had big puss filled wounds on her leg and she was pressing them to get the oozing out. Disgusting thing to do in public! But more than disgusting it was a public health hazard! That was my last day in that spa! I immediately talked to the spa manager and told him that this was a health hazard and they should do something about it. They make such a big fuss about Noro, but what about this? This is dangerous! The manager did not want to do anything so I requested that I get a refund on my spa pass since I was never going ot step in it till they sanitized the entire thing. I was gladly given the refund minus one day.

To those of you who love to use the spa like I do, now this is one more thing to worry about! How many people are you going to check for oozing wounds! What can one do except for stop going there!

YUCK!! (to the above poster) I would be furious to say the least!! MRSA anyone?!?

Not sure about the particulars on the NCL salt room, but I frequent one here in town. I suggest you bring a zip lock bag for your iPad or other devices while you are in the room. When the fan is on, it blows out salt particles into the air. You will see that the ziplock will get cloudy after 15m or so from the salt.

As we all know salt is very corrosive, so just a word of caution for the expensive toys.

While on the spa topic.....on my recent cruise on the Gem, I purchased a spa pass for $189 on embarkation day. The next morning I went to the spa adn was relaxing on the thermal lounger. Two older ladies on a scooter had kind of taken over the entire area there. They parked their scooters right next to their loungers blocking everyone else's view. Well that was not the big deal. They were using the spa pool, the thalasotherapy pool etc and then came adn sat on the lounger next to mine.......that is when I saw, to my horror, that one of the ladies had big puss filled wounds on her leg and she was pressing them to get the oozing out. Disgusting thing to do in public! But more than disgusting it was a public health hazard! That was my last day in that spa! I immediately talked to the spa manager and told him that this was a health hazard and they should do something about it. They make such a big fuss about Noro, but what about this? This is dangerous! The manager did not want to do anything so I requested that I get a refund on my spa pass since I was never going ot step in it till they sanitized the entire thing. I was gladly given the refund minus one day.

To those of you who love to use the spa like I do, now this is one more thing to worry about! How many people are you going to check for oozing wounds! What can one do except for stop going there!

I am literally going to toss my cookies...

I would have escalated past that manager! Big health hazard!

I am literally going to toss my cookies...

I would have escalated past that manager! Big health hazard!

I was disgusted too. When I talked to the manager, he kept on harping that the chlorinated water in the thalaso pool is good enough to "purify" and sanitize the pool so I shouldn't worry........I left it at that and requested the refund for the unused 8 days which they gave me without any hesitation.

Soooooo gross!!!! Did you say anything to the old lady?

YUCK!! (to the above poster) I would be furious to say the least!! MRSA anyone?!?

Not sure about the particulars on the NCL salt room, but I frequent one here in town. I suggest you bring a zip lock bag for your iPad or other devices while you are in the room. When the fan is on, it blows out salt particles into the air. You will see that the ziplock will get cloudy after 15m or so from the salt.

As we all know salt is very corrosive, so just a word of caution for the expensive toys.

Thanks for the advice