Reflection, Mar. 1-8, 2014 - Our very first cruise

wpgcycler

I guess I'm considered a bit of a newbie to cruising also (going on our 3rd in 24 days), I too tend to research and get informed beforehand, and after reading thru countless threads here in the last several months (and truthfully getting a bit down with all the negative comments) I would like to thank you for a positive, upbeat and enjoyable review. I truly believe that sometimes people slip into the "glass is half full/ half empty" train of thought.

Ian and Ali:

Great review. Thanks for taking the time to share your cruise experience with us. I love reading reviews written by first time cruisers. Glad you enjoy cruising as much as we do after many, many cruises. :):)

Wow what a breath of fresh air. An experience through the eyes of a first time cruiser. I loved your review. It's nice to read a well balanced review.

I appreciate your taking the time to post your thoughts. Hopefully other first time cruisers or those taking their first cruise on Celebrity read this. They will realize that there are people who can actually enjoy their cruise.;)

Wonderful....took me right back to my first cruise in 2004 on Rhapsody of the Seas. So refreshing!

Big smile on my face, and thank you kindly!:D

Can't wait to board Reflection and your review was indeed helpful!

Edited by BecciBoo

What a fabulous review! We sail on the Reflection this Saturday, and now I am more excited than ever. Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed and informative review.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks folks! Glad you enjoyed it - I enjoyed writing it!

Now I know ya'll are hooked for real! How so you say? You changed your profile pic to one from a formal evening on ship!:)

Ian in your honor I had to do my best impression of the Lawn Club Grill tonight with a Greek pinwheel with feta an spinach!:D

image.jpg.0e6b452ff2272476aa625136cf23b01c.jpg

Edited by wallie5446

Thanks for the kind words....so glad your experience was as memorable as ours was on Reflection. May you enjoy many more cruises, and never lose that excitement and awe when you first step on board.

We are branching out and giving Azamara a go in May and have 2 RCI cruises booked for 2015 - but would love to sail X again - hoping for more inventive Caribbean itineraries for the s class ships.

Edited by librarylady19

Now I know ya'll are hooked for real! How so you say? You changed your profile pic to one from a formal evening on ship!:)

Ian in your honor I had to do my best impression of the Lawn Club Grill tonight with a Greek pinwheel with feta an spinach!:D

Haha! Love it!

Here's my version :D:

0e988459.jpg

Thanks for the kind words....so glad your experience was as memorable as ours was on Reflection. May you enjoy many more cruises, and never lose that excitement and awe when you first step on board.

We are branching out and giving Azamara a go in May and have 2 RCI cruises booked for 2015 - but would love to sail X again - hoping for more inventive Caribbean itineraries for the s class ships.

Sandi! Thanks for dropping by to say hello and good luck with your cruise!

Ian

Ian, thank you for such a refreshing review. Your review has been the shot in the arm CC has needed lately. So many threads full of complaints. You made me wish I were back on my first Celebrity cruise (it was on the old Meridian) seeing everything again with a fresh outlook. We are looking forward to the Solstice in a few weeks.

BTW, since you are such a foodie, did you ever read the forum, Fine Cooking? Love their magazines.

Thank you for posting such a wonderful review. I honestly just skimmed it but will read it in full detail this evening with a glass of wine...or perhaps a martini :rolleyes: With so much negativity on this board lately it is so nice to hear such an upbeat, happy, and well thought out review.

I'd like to specifically comment on your thoughts regarding the drink package. The ability to not have to worry, to not have to penny pinch and just get what you want when you want it is what we LOVE about cruising! It is such a carefree feeling. Our next cruise is not until December but we may squeeze in another one before especially after reading your review! :)

Such an amazingly well written review..thank you! We will be on the Reflection in a little over a week and I am finally more excited than nervous. I've read so much negativity, but I think everything will be just fine from your review.

I'm with you! I was thinking about starting a thread about "So, what DO you like about the Reflection?," but it looks like the OP has allayed my fears. I'm still unsure about the overcrowded tables and stressed wait-staff in Blu, but I will focus on being more optimistic about the experience. I'm sure it will be great!

Haha! Love it!

Here's my version :D:

0e988459.jpg

Oh my god - this looks delicious!:D:eek:

How dare you sir tease me with grill marked food.:p We had so much snow last night/this morning, I can't tell if my grill is even on my deck.

So, when's the next cookout?;)

Edited by kroberst

How dare you sir tease me with grill marked food.:p We had so much snow last night/this morning, I can't tell if my grill is even on my deck.

So, when's the next cookout?;)

Haha! Sorry about that - but don't tell me about snow, we've had our worst winter in ages! I take pictures like this to remind me that sometimes we really do have a summer.

Thanks for the great review!

A couple of extra tips:

If weather is good on embarkation day, have lunch on deck at The Porch!. Delicious paninis and cup cakes ($5). Like Bistro, tends to be quiet and peaceful with great service and a great view. A far better option than the crowds in Ocean View.

Speaking of Ocean View, next time try the ice cream. It is all made on board and is delicious. My faves are the guava, mango and the rum& raisen. Also in Ocean View, there is a very good selection of tea sandwiches, cakes and scones from 4pm till 5pm. In early evening, there is a sushi bar.

I am always astounded that they can prepare so much food to such a consistently high standard. There is usually a galley tour on the last day, which is worth doing.

Edited by Seapoint

I'm with you! I was thinking about starting a thread about "So, what DO you like about the Reflection?," but it looks like the OP has allayed my fears. I'm still unsure about the overcrowded tables and stressed wait-staff in Blu, but I will focus on being more optimistic about the experience. I'm sure it will be great!

I was on the Reflection last March and it was great in every way. We board again Saturday. You will enjoy this ship. :)

There is usually a galley tour on the last day, which is worth doing.

Oh yes! I did this - chef Ridley accepted questions from the floor and dished on working for Gordon Ramsay and for the Queen at Buckingham Palace - great stuff!