NZ: Pharmacy - Patch?

We are headed to Auckland to depart on the Solstice next week and my wife needs to use "the patch" (transdermal scopalomine) to prevent sea sickness. Does anyone know if these are available direct from pharmacies in NZ and don't require a doctor's visit? Here in the US they do and we're short of time.

Thanks.

I would ensure that any pharmaceuticals I may need on a cruise I would obtain before leaving home. Trying to find medication whilst overseas is one hassle I don't need.

Good point.There are a lot of things available in the US which we can't get here.Imagine running out of important medicine and trying to find an replacement because you can't get the same thing here. :eek:

To obtain a patch you will need a prescription. Get the patch before you leave.

Thanks for the reply. Exactly what I needed to know. When I was in Sydney a few years back I found that pharmacists could prescribe many drugs only doctors can prescribe in the US.

On the first stop on our cruise in Bay of Islands there is the Pharmacy that sells the "Paihia Bomb". It is the best sea sickness tablets you can get. They have them readily available

Thanks. Do you know what those actually are?

We are headed to Auckland to depart on the Solstice next week and my wife needs to use "the patch" (transdermal scopalomine) to prevent sea sickness. Does anyone know if these are available direct from pharmacies in NZ and don't require a doctor's visit? Here in the US they do and we're short of time.

Thanks.

The patches you refer to are available from New Zealand without a prescription. My DW uses the "Scop" patches and she purchased them form an online pharmacy in NZ.

Happy cruising,

Chris

The patches you refer to are available from New Zealand without a prescription. My DW uses the "Scop" patches and she purchased them form an online pharmacy in NZ.

Thanks so much everyone for all this information. Googling the Pahia Bomb was interesting for sure.

Since the patches are available from online chemists in NZ surely they'll be available in a pharmacy there as well. We have a couple days in Auckland before sailing so will check it out.

This is only our backup plan if they don't come through here before we leave and only for my wife who prefers them. Myself I've been happy with the sea bands that go on the wrists and have ginger gum as a supplement.

With any luck this will be a moot point and the Tasman sea will be calm. :)