new towel policy

VermeulT

Believe me, I respect and appreciate opposing points of view but some of posts in this thread really have me stomped. It seem clear to me that HAL's change of policy has less to do with modifying people's behavior and more to do with selling over-priced towels and/or reducing the cost of replacing lost or stolen towels. In order words, the policy's objective is to enhance profit. Nothing wrong with this if one understands there is some associated reduction in service whether is needless worry about losing a towel, not having a towel available at the gangway or whatever. So why so many people favor a reduction in service without any corresponding benefit is a mystery to me. Its like being led to the gallows and when the hangman has difficulty putting the noose over your neck, you say: "Can I give you a hand."

Having been in the hospitality business, I understand where HAL is coming from. It is not about enhancing profit as much as reducing loss. Due to the carelessness of their guests. Period.

O.K. So nobody's buying the theory that HAL is trying to sell towels along with or instead of trying to modify guest's behavior? There is a larger issue here as well. Some posters have stated that HAL's new towel policy makes it comparable to NCL, RCL and Princess. With the loss of other amenities such as unlimited wine, complimentary expresso, among others, HAL is comparable to the other standard lines. And isn't that a shame? I became a HAL loyalist precisely because HAL was distinctive from other mass market lines.

Well, I guess you are not going to like my post.

Frankly, I think it's nice that the towel is in the room. It speeds up stuff as you are getting off and you don't need to worry about getting a towel.

It's rare that we take a towel off the ship - but there are times that we do.

I far prefer it in my room so we just pick it up and take it with us.

If you want to talk about unlimited wine (still available - just pay the corkage) or whatever else differentiates HAL - I don't think towels is one of them.

For us - this is far more convenient and since we always bring our towels back - no big deal at all :)

O.K. So nobody's buying the theory that HAL is trying to sell towels along with or instead of trying to modify guest's behavior? There is a larger issue here as well. Some posters have stated that HAL's new towel policy makes it comparable to NCL, RCL and Princess. With the loss of other amenities such as unlimited wine, complimentary expresso, among others, HAL is comparable to the other standard lines. And isn't that a shame? I became a HAL loyalist precisely because HAL was distinctive from other mass market lines.

Perhaps you're unaware, but, before the end of January, HAL recanted the one bottle per person limit and is again allowing unlimited wine with a corkage fee. That's nothing new as the corkage is $18 - same as it always has been.

From what I can glean here, you became a "HAL loyalist" because they were giving more perks than the other lines. Now that they're in line with the rest, you're not happy.

You're not a "HAL loyalist". You're a loyalist to whichever cruise line gives you the best deal.

If they charged me for the *use* of a towel, it would feel cheap. For my carelessness in losing a towel? Nope, not at all.

The mass market lines have always been more alike than different. I can list 100 other ways they are all alike.

While you are scratching your head about people not being upset by this, I'm scratching my head trying to understand your position! :-) I mean, there are many, many reports of people who have observed HAL towel being left ashore, or dropped on HMC. This isn't the case of HAL reacting to a couple of people each sailing... this is a systemic problem. I am a bit confuzzled as to why you think that is an acceptable situation. Should the ship continue to plan on losing 5% of their towels per trip? Does it really seem reasonable to you that people just walk away on HMC, leaving towels to litter the beach?

Believe me, I respect and appreciate opposing points of view but some of posts in this thread really have me stomped. It seem clear to me that HAL's change of policy has less to do with modifying people's behavior and more to do with selling over-priced towels and/or reducing the cost of replacing lost or stolen towels. In order words, the policy's objective is to enhance profit. Nothing wrong with this if one understands there is some associated reduction in service whether is needless worry about losing a towel, not having a towel available at the gangway or whatever. So why so many people favor a reduction in service without any corresponding benefit is a mystery to me. Its like being led to the gallows and when the hangman has difficulty putting the noose over your neck, you say: "Can I give you a hand."

For what it is worth, I agree with you. There are a lot of services that HAL provides on and off its ships. I can understand that many passengers would think that there wasn't any need to return their beach towels to the ships as HAL had staff who would collect them all up. It was a service that HAL provided. I am not saying that I agree with it, I am just saying that I can understand some passengers feeling this way.

It is naive to think that any towels left on the beaches would become litter and trash. How do you think all those chairs showed up on the beach? HAL staff put them out and cleared them all up after the ship left, along with all the left over towels. There is no port in the world that would allow a ship to leave its pier with a beach in a mess. HAL has to clean it up.

Like you, I also believe that this is more to do with HAL trying to increase revenue rather than reduce its losses. I enjoyed the previous service of grabbing a towel on the way off the ship and just dropping it off again when I boarded. Now, I have to ensure the care and safe keeping of a towel, wondering if I should leave it out in the open when in the water or whether I need to hide it away and out of sight.

I wish posters would state that they agree or disagree with the policy or previous policy without all the personal judgemental attacks. Reducing adults to children and calling them lazy, inconsiderate, selfish, ill mannered, the result of poor parenting and training (BTW - we raise children and train animals), lacking common sense, lacking courtesy and self care does little to advance a point of view.

You change out your towels at home every day???

On my most recent Disney cruise, I religiously followed the "to use again" instructions, but my cabin steward never paid attention and always gave me new ones. I felt bad about it. As long as it is dry and not muddy, there is no reason a towel cannot be used more than once between launderings.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If they are sandy or have been on the bathroom floor, yes!! That's just gross.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy

It is naive to think that any towels left on the beaches would become litter and trash. How do you think all those chairs showed up on the beach? HAL staff put them out and cleared them all up after the ship left, along with all the left over towels. There is no port in the world that would allow a ship to leave its pier with a beach in a mess. HAL has to clean it up.

This is true on HMC and Grand Turk. Not true on Orient Beach on St. Martin, where I saw many HAL towels (And Celebrity towels, NCL Towels, RC towels) on chairs after the wave of cruise folks departed, same deal at Magans Bay, at the Baths on Virgin Gorda and elsewhere. Having a way to know who was careless with a towel and caused a loss to the cruise line and charging them to compensate for said loss is NOT the same as "Selling Towels." If you return the towel, you are charged nothing.

I do not see this as a "reduction in service." If you can't manage to keep track of a towel that does not belong to you, you should pay for your inconsideration and lack of care.

I almost get the issue with returning towels. On HMC it is only HAL so a striped towel is theirs. If it is another port, ok, you return however many you sign out. But I want one for the chair or sand, and one to dry off or to keep me covered from the sun. One towel does not serve:(

I almost get the issue with returning towels. On HMC it is only HAL so a striped towel is theirs. If it is another port, ok, you return however many you sign out. But I want one for the chair or sand, and one to dry off or to keep me covered from the sun. One towel does not serve:(

Simply ask your steward for another one then - I would think it's no different than asking for ice for the wine bucket :D

I would if I wanted two towels.

FYI, other Carnival Corp lines use HMK and I think some non CCL lines might as well but never on same day as a HAL ship

The only beaches that HAL can monitor the towels would be Half Moon Cay and perhaps Grand Turk. Period. It's naïve to think otherwise.

From our limited experience: Beaches in Barbados, St. Lucia, Tortola, Martinique, Antigua, San Juan, St. Maarten, St. Thomas, St. Croix, Grenada, St. Vincent, St.Kitts, Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, to mention a few. In the Med, Cadiz, Malaga, Categena, Barcelona, etc. Need I say more?

You change out your towels at home every day???

On my most recent Disney cruise, I religiously followed the "to use again" instructions, but my cabin steward never paid attention and always gave me new ones. I felt bad about it. As long as it is dry and not muddy, there is no reason a towel cannot be used more than once between launderings.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Once I use my towel for a bath or shower it goes into the wash at home. It you use it, it will not be dry:confused:.

For some of the posters on this thread I think it may be a good time to investigate other cruise lines if everything that Hal does is so offensive. I truly feel sorry for the staff that has to deal with unnecessary fall out.

Edited by cruz chic

We have cruised on both RCI and Carnival since we last cruised on HAL. They both have similar systems in place. We had no problem with it, and we thought it wise, especially if it saves the cruiseline money. We used to see towels left everywhere. We didn't see much of that at all on RCI or Carnival. I think it encourages personal responsibility.

Robin

NCL as well. I imagine there was a big loss of towels with them being left around in ports and people taking them home. Cost saving measure and I have no problem with it.

I have two beautiful HAL towels that I got back in the day of Dam Dollars...will be sure to leave those at home.

Ship towels are taken on shore to places other than the private islands and beaches right next to the pier. Should HAL scan a whole port or island for its towels? I take a ship towel on scuba excursions, sometimes HAL excursions and sometimes independent excursion. Must HAL clean up a whole island to recover its property? It makes a lot more sense charging a fee for "lost" towels.

Edited by Boytjie

Ship towels are taken on shore to places other than the private islands and beaches right next to the pier. Should HAL scan a whole port or island for its towels? I take a ship towel on scuba excursions, sometimes HAL excursions and sometimes independent excursion. Must HAL clean up a whole island to recover its property? It makes a lot more sense charging a fee for "lost" towels.

Exactly, Peter. Having been in the hospitality business, the loss...due to carelessness on the part of guests...adds up.

NCL as well. I imagine there was a big loss of towels with them being left around in ports and people taking them home. Cost saving measure and I have no problem with it.

Funny experience we had on NCL's Pride of America: we started with 2 beach towels in the cabin and the steward kept leaving more! At the end of the 7-day cruise we had 8 beach towels in the cabin, all clean except the last two we used. :)

The only beaches that HAL can monitor the towels would be Half Moon Cay and perhaps Grand Turk. Period. It's naïve to think otherwise.

From our limited experience: Beaches in Barbados, St. Lucia, Tortola, Martinique, Antigua, San Juan, St. Maarten, St. Thomas, St. Croix, Grenada, St. Vincent, St.Kitts, Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, to mention a few. In the Med, Cadiz, Malaga, Categena, Barcelona, etc. Need I say more?

Merely listing a name of beaches does not validate your point. I did note your " limited experience" though.

Merely listing a name of beaches does not validate your point. I did note your " limited experience" though.

It doesn't? That's a lot of beaches and examples IMO and proves the point - but of course, I only have limited experience as well - we are only 4* mariners and have seen lots of towels left behind. But that is just in our limited experience as well :rolleyes: It doesn't matter how much experience anyone has - if they have seen it, experienced it, then that is a true experience no matter how much one might think it is limited. I think the new policy makes sense. We always returned our towels. it should only affect those that don't I would think?

Edited by kazu

The new towels are thick, plush and good looking. Whatever the reason

for providing and charging for them, fine. Last time I was on the NA (Jan 2014) I should have bought one. When I get onboard another ship in a few weeks, I hope that ship has them too...because I'm not coming home without one this time.

Thanks HAL. Those are nice towels !

Perhaps you're unaware, but, before the end of January, HAL recanted the one bottle per person limit and is again allowing unlimited wine with a corkage fee. That's nothing new as the corkage is $18 - same as it always has been.

From what I can glean here, you became a "HAL loyalist" because they were giving more perks than the other lines. Now that they're in line with the rest, you're not happy.

You're not a "HAL loyalist". You're a loyalist to whichever cruise line gives you the best deal.

Good point! So I assume you choose a cruise line that offers the least amenities at the highest cost.

Once I use my towel for a bath or shower it goes into the wash at home. It you use it, it will not be dry:confused:.

For some of the posters on this thread I think it may be a good time to investigate other cruise lines if everything that Hal does is so offensive. I truly feel sorry for the staff that has to deal with unnecessary fall out.

Same here! As clean as we are after we get out of the shower, I don't want to dry my face with a towel I used yesterday to dry the rest of my body. . . ROFL