Medical Coverage - how much is enough?

I'm struggling over all the choices for travel insurance for my upcoming 9 night Caribbean cruise. My biggest concern is over the amount of emergency medical coverage we need. I am only considering policies that have primary medical coverage, but how much is enough? My wife and I are around 50, our daughter 11, and all in good health. Is 50k/person enough coverage? 100k? More? And how much emergency evacuation is recommended?

Thanks for your input!

I'm struggling over all the choices for travel insurance for my upcoming 9 night Caribbean cruise. My biggest concern is over the amount of emergency medical coverage we need. I am only considering policies that have primary medical coverage, but how much is enough? My wife and I are around 50, our daughter 11, and all in good health. Is 50k/person enough coverage? 100k? More? And how much emergency evacuation is recommended?

Thanks for your input!

Almost all of the questions you're asking are all about how much risk you're willing to take vs. your level of liquid assets. All of these are very personal and up to each individual.

I'm 57, think of myself as in good health, but seems every week or so, I'm losing a friend or aquantance who just drops out for no apparent reason.

With that said, I'd consider 50 to 100K of coverage too low. 100K would be my low end. $250K would be more in my comfort zone. If I were doing a European river cruise or a Med cruise, I'd bump it up to $500K - $1M.

Emergency evacuation. If you're talking about evacuation from the ship to nearest medical facility, $30 to $50K would be comfortable to me, basically because in the rare event this does occur, 99% of the time it's free to the patient. The reason it's free is because very few, if any, private services can or will perform this evacuation from a ship at sea. This is almost always done by a Government Navy or Coast Guard.

Call and talk to your current health insurance providor also. Don't talk to your HR people, they'll be less than useful. It could be that you already have some of this coverage.

Hope some of this helps.

I'd like to add that while you and your family are in good health, stuff happens.

Bonk in the head with a surf board, slip/fall getting off an excursion bus (seen that happened), car accident, and on and on...

So consider what your activities might be while on vacation.

klfrodo, Philob,

Thank you both for your very quick and very helpful feedback. It never ceases to amaze me how helpful the folks are on these CC boards.

I never thought to call my personal medical insurer. That was a great suggestion! I learned that I actually have excellent international/emergency medical coverage. I would be covered under my current policy (once I fulfill my $3000 deductible) up to 90% of the cost. This got me thinking, perhaps I don't need to pay so much for a large amount of emergency medical coverage with my Travel insurance policy knowing that that I have this cushion. I still like the idea of carrying primary medical on my travel insurance, but I'm thinking 50k is probably more than enough. My thinking here is the likelihood that I will need medical attention is low (this is our 9th cruise, and thankfully have never required this), but should we need it, chances are they should not be major expenses. If I use my personal medical, I'm on my own dime until I hit my deductible, so some minor medical costs would be out of pocket. Am I wrong thinking this way?

So any way, I called insuremytrip.com, and I got through to an agent very quickly, and he was extremely helpful and knowledgeable. I learned that only the Travelex policies that they offer truly provide primary coverage. I can get a policy for $160 or $172 through them that provide adequate coverage. I'm leaning toward the latter (Travelex Select) because it offers 50k primary medical, and 500k medical evacuation.

I do have one last question, perhaps someone here knows. I tried to call my health insurance back to ask this, but they were closed and don't open again till Monday. Let's say I buy this Travelex Select policy, and heaven forbid, one of us requires medical treatment in excess of the 50k per person max. Will my personal health insurance then kick in and pick up any excess (of course according to their terms - that I hit the deductible first, then at 90%)?

Thanks again!

First thing to know is that all travel insurance is reimbursement based. That means YOU pay the bills, then when you return, you file a claim for reimbursement.

The same is going to be with your personal medical insurance. (Grand Cayman General Hospital is not going to accept your insurance card). If the hospital or medical clinic request money up front to ensure ability to pay, your travel insurance provider "may" provide a letter to prove ability to pay when needed.

I have good health coverage also. However, I asked very specific question of my provider.

1. Am I covered outside the US.

Yes, at out of network coverage.

2. Do I have evacuation coverage?

Yes, to the nearest facility able to treat my issue

3. If I require long term care, does my policy pay to get me back home?

No.

4. If I should pass, does my policy pay to repatriate my remains?

No.

5. Do you provide or assist with proof of ability to pay if needed?

No.

Therefore,,, travel insurance for me even if we take a land based vacation.

Edited by klfrodo