Do men wear tuxes any more on "elegant night"?

midwifejen

By the way, so what is a Tux? I looked in my closest but could not find any. I have heard about them but have yet to see one. I think they were some kind of an outfit they use to wear during ancient times. Only you wore them for certain ceremonies like weddings and graduations. Oh well, to each his own. I will continue to wear my baseball hat, a T-shirt, Levi's, bright red socks and white tennis shoes. ................... then again, maybe that is a bit too formal!

By the way, so what is a Tux? I looked in my closest but could not find any. I have heard about them but have yet to see one. I think they were some kind of an outfit they use to wear during ancient times. Only you wore them for certain ceremonies like weddings and graduations. Oh well, to each his own. I will continue to wear my baseball hat, a T-shirt, Levi's, bright red socks and white tennis shoes. ................... then again, maybe that is a bit too formal!

Not on CCL it wouldn't be. Don't forget to turn that ball cap around backwards either!

Edited by PROCRUISE

I've not done a tux (honestly, I'm not sure I've seen a tux on those nights).

I do wear a suit, though.

You should dress it up, a bit.

JJ

I agree you should dress for an occasion. I'd wear a suit to an interview, an important business meeting, a "formal dress" wedding. However, vacation isn't dress-up time in my eyes. It is "relax and be comfortable" time. Taking a tux or even a suit on vacation to a condo in Hawaii would be absurd. The only reason it is not considered similarly absurd on a cruise is a holdover from the luxury trans-Atlantic cruises from the early part of the last century. Sometimes traditions are fun to continue because they are traditions. Other times it makes more sense to set them aside, move ahead with the times, and maybe create new traditions instead.

Just off Allure and whilst I wore mine for both formal nights I was glad I had speciality restaurants booked. Felt right in there but very few around the rest of the ship. If I was to guess I'd agree with the above ratio of 1/100.

But u know what, I looked cool and loved it.

I'm hoping to be able to take a 15 day Carnival cruise to Hawaii in 2016 for our 50th anniversary. I'm also hoping to get my DH to rent a tux so that we can take formal pictures for our kids. We usually don't get really gussied up on Elegant night but this is a great chance to do so. :)

Yes my husband wears a tux at least one of the dress up nights and sometimes both dress up nights. We enjoy getting dressed up and do not get any other chances to do it.

Same here- husband bought a tux about 7 years ago just for cruise formal nights- and has found many other occasions to wear it to on land as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We have seen tons of tuxs on our cruises. It has seemed to b ethough that most men will remove the coat before dinner after pictures as my hubby does so it only looks like he has on pants and a shirt with tie. He will be wearing it on our cruise in 2 weeks as well

Please wear a tux on your next cruise, it is pleasing to the eyes of this 25 year old woman :)

I would agree - every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man!:D

The DH and I both dress up for both elegant nights. We have 3 boys and are mostly consumed with their activities - for us, it's a chance to do something different and we enjoy making an event of the whole thing. The boys also dress up - every kid should learn proper table manners and how to deal with a formal dinner setting! And my 17 year old is in school concert and community concert bands and has a tux - he is looking forward to wearing it on our upcoming cruise!:)

Didn't see a single tux on the Breeze last summer. Doesn't mean there weren't any being worn, we just didn't see any.

Before that, I was on NCL's Breakaway. Didn't see any tuxes on her, either. But, NCL is known for Freestyle, which lends itself to casual. That said, I never saw anyone in tank tops or ball caps in the dining rooms, either.

Last tuxes I saw were on the RCCL Allure of the Seas a couple of years ago, but not many....maybe 10....on a ship that has 4,000+ passengers.

Bottom line, if you want to wear one, please do. If you don't want to wear one, you won't be out of place. A tux is by no means required by the ship's dress code.

For example, Disney allows shorts in their main dining rooms.

Some, to my continued perplexity, want others to dress the same as they do, regardless of your desired mode of dress. I still can't figure that out.

Edited by graphicguy

Thanks, everyone, for the great replies! Tux it is! In going through the garment bag (which has remained sealed for the past few years) we found an older son's tux, so the 17 year old will wear that, and an almost new suit that DH grew out of for the other son (:) to the poster who mentioned tux pants are expandable). Now I feel like I need to ramp up from the cocktail dresses I have to fit in with my three "sharp dressed men" :p

You guys and gals are awesome! Happy cruising to all!!!

OP...this might help. It is CCL's SUGGESTED dress for dining in the main dining room.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

As you can tell by some posts, some want other passengers to wear formal wear. Some want others to wear more casual fare.

Bottom line, most of the above are suggestions, not requirements. If you stay away from swimwear, cut off jeans, t-shirts, etc. you'll be fine.

Carnival (as well as Royal Caribbean) passengers have been moving towrads the majority dressing more casually from what I've observed the last few years. Whether you want to or not is entirely up to you. Have fun!

Edited by graphicguy

Yes a few do - just off the Conquet yesterday which was the most casually dressed cruise I have ever been on - shorts and tanks were more or less the norm on most nights - I felt way over dressed on elegant night in a suit and tie - there were a few men in tuxes - and i applaud them for their choice.

One of the men sat at my table, and he wore a suit and tie every night - [plus the tux twice. His wife was elegantly dressed as well - with some extraordinary jewellery. They were the nicest, and ost down to earth dinner companions you could have asked for. If you own a tux - go for it!

Just got back from 35 day cruise around NZ and AUS. 6 formal nights. I estimate for dining room, about 30 - 40% wore tux, the rest business suits and sport jackets with ties.

I brought a suit and tie plus I has a sport jacket. Next time I'll bring my Tux and leave out the sport jacket having one less garment to pack.

Just my thought, but if you can afford a 35 day cruise, then you can afford a Tux & the fees associated with bringing to the cruise & laundering it properly.

If you are on a 5 night cruise then the opposite may be true.

Just a theory on why you see them on some sailings & not others.