Carrying on canned soda question

Aelsantokie

I have never taken my own soda before but want to bring some canned soda this time. I want to tape the box in case of it breaking and spilling my can everywhere but will carnival make me rip apart the box in case they think I'm trying to smuggle alcohol onboard? Even if I bring bottled soda same question.

Same question but I am going out of Port Canaveral. Is that one of the ports they overcheck? Hate to have to haul around a bunch of Pop waiting for my room to be ready thats had the packaging ripped apart.

A year ago we carried on 20 ounce bottles of soda and water at pt canaveral. They never batted an eye. Previous time they looked it over thoroughly, so you never know. I do agree if you duct tape it, it will look suspicious and they will probably make you open it. We just put it in a rolling suitcase.

My last cruise was out of Port Canaveral, and they didn't check any of our sodas. But we didn't have any taped up packages. One suggestion I would give to the OP is to carry on a rolling suitcase and put your sodas in there. That way, you wouldn't have to lug around an awkward 12-pack, which would be even worse if security makes you open it up. A rolling suitcase is a piece of cake to drag around. It takes no strength & hardly any effort. You wouldn't need to tape up anything. You could just place the cans/bottles loose in the suitcase.

This depends on the people at the port who check the bags. I've never had my box opened (but I also did not tape it raising suspicions) but they could do it if they wanted to.

My husband backed single cans in his bag once, they opened the bag to verify that they were soda cans. (The guy behind us had a metal liquor flask - he downed his beverage on the spot. I don't think that he was trying to smuggle - probably didn't know or forgot that it was there. He wasn't trying to hide it.)

We brought 2 12-packs of soda onto the Dream out of Port Canaveral last summer. The cases were intact, inside of a rolling duffle. They did pull us aside and opened each case, checking the cans inside. Being in the duffle, we just zipped it back up when they were done, and continued on our way.

Same question but I am going out of Port Canaveral. Is that one of the ports they overcheck? Hate to have to haul around a bunch of Pop waiting for my room to be ready thats had the packaging ripped apart.

They have checked mine pretty well at Port Canaveral also I saw then taking water out of packaging and shaking them and checking tops...they were pretty thorough when I went through

and to the OP I think if you duck tape the package up it will send out red light signals for them to check...

the last three or four times I embarked I have brought my soda and they have checked the packaging pretty well, they never have opened the package up, they were just making sure it was sealed.... ...and all of them different ports

Edited by woodey

I have never taken my own soda before but want to bring some canned soda this time. I want to tape the box in case of it breaking and spilling my can everywhere but will carnival make me rip apart the box in case they think I'm trying to smuggle alcohol onboard? Even if I bring bottled soda same question.

They did that to me in Miami. Don't reinforce the 12 packs with tape. They will think you are trying to sneak beer on board.

They haven't opened our 12-pack boxes of soda, but did look at each to make sure it was all still sealed. They have every time opened up our 24-pack case of bottled water and pulled most of the individual bottles out. As others have said, taping stuff shut will probably guarantee they will open it up.

We use one of those light foldable luggage carriers with bungee cords that weigh less than a pound to cart our drinks. It's easy to pop it into the luggage at the end of the cruise.

I always throw 2 -12 packs in a rolling suitcase. Last year in NOLA they opened one end took a few out looked around then taped it back for us. 2 years ago in Port Canaveral they took me to a table and peaked in the handle area and let me go.

We have a heavy canvas tote/shopping type bag with an open top. The handles go all the way around the bag, so they won't rip off with weight in the bag. (Not this one, but similar: Tote Bag) When boarding, we put our sodas in this and set it on top of our small rolling suitcase so it's easy to carry.

Security once made us take everything out, but usually they just look in the top and let us go on.

It's also handy because the bag is emptied during the cruise and we can fill it with loot from the ports to carry it off or fold it to put it in a suitcase if, for some reason, we don't have any loot.

Duct tape the soda cans? Let's really reinforce that Walmart-of-the-Seas image! :rolleyes:

Just get a rolling duffle bag or similar and pack 'em in there. You'll be thankful you did when you're not carrying the cans all over the cruiseport before boarding and around the ship before your cabin is ready. Then you can use the same bag to haul off any souvenirs from the trip.

Edited by dd2355