Am I being unreasonable or are these long layovers?

sterling9

We just got our airline reservations through Oceania. And I wanted to consult the board to see if you think I am being unreasonable.......and I don't mind anyone telling me I am.

We asked for quotes from either BWI or PHL for our cruise on November 7 (Barcelona to Athens). We have requested a deviation because we'd like to arrive in Barcelona a day early....so we are paying the $50.00 deviation fee.

Our options for fllights to Barcelona are reasonable - we have one stop in London with a two hour layover.

However, the return flight options stink...Oceania gives us the option of going from Athens then to Munich then to Chicago and then to Baltimore with a four hour layover in Baltimore. Or we can go from Athens to London to Philadelphia with a 7 hour layover in London.

I'm pretty disappointed in these return flights - and haven't encountered such long layovers or so many stops before with other cruise-lines. There are a ton of other flights on the same return day with much better layovers.

Seeking the wisdom of seasoned Oceania cruisers! I think these options are lousy.

You say you are using the air deviation. Did you not tell your TA which flights you would like to have? If you know of better flights, ask your TA to have Oceania price them for you.

The $50 per person deviation fee is a service charge for making changes which does not result in additional cost to Oceania. If the exact flights you would like (and you can choose those) involve any additional cost, that will be charged to you. However, such costs are usually low, say $50 to $150 per person, and when Oceania books them at "bulk rate", it is often (though not always) cheaper than what you can get on your own, especially for those "open jawed" flights for the cruise, and if you live on the opposite coast to your destination direction.

Some folks want to use frequent flier points for upgrades, etc., that is fine if you have enough points! Look at the usual commercial jets, there are three to five times as many economy seats as there are business/first class seats. So be it with cash or with points, the fact is more people fly in economy than in business/first class. We remember when we flew Oceania's included air to Barcelona/Venice in April last year, we saved so much compared to business class (unless you have enough points etc.), that half the money saved was enough to buy us a one week Silversea Mexican Reviera cruise last December aboard the Shadow on half-price special !

You say you are using the air deviation. Did you not tell your TA which flights you would like to have? If you know of better flights, ask your TA to have Oceania price them for you.

We payed the deviation for arriving a day earlier - but are coming back on the same day the cruise ends, so my TA said we don't need to pay a deviation for the return flight. The flight on the day earlier is great....it is our return flights that are so bad. Per your recommendation I've given the flights I want to my TA - will see what happens. Thanks.

We payed the deviation for arriving a day earlier - but are coming back on the same day the cruise ends, so my TA said we don't need to pay a deviation for the return flight. The flight on the day earlier is great....it is our return flights that are so bad. Per your recommendation I've given the flights I want to my TA - will see what happens. Thanks.

The deviation fee is for all of your flights.

You can pick both coming and going but as was pointed out if your flights cost more for Oceania then you pay extra. We paid $150. total pp when we did our flights.

Last year when we did air deviation and picked our flights, there was no additional cost beyond the $50 pp; this year, there's an additional $50 pp for a total of $100pp. It was very comparable in price to what I could get on my own.

LTH28 is correct in that if you pay the $50 pp air deviation fee, you can select flights in both directions. I'm a little bit surprised that your TA didn't know that.

Guest Jancruz

Andee is correct..it is a $50 deviation fee for round trip flights..you can change the days in both directions for the $50 fee..

Jan:)

Archived