Bangkok or Singapore?

lois1112

I am trying to plan my next cruise. I am looking at 2 Cruises (Princess) one ends in Singapore. The other in Bangkok. Since I will spend a couple days post tour in which ever place, I need help! I will stop in either Bangkok or Singapore, so I willsee them with both tours. What I need to know, is which one is better to spend a few days in. I love Nature, history and cutural sites.

Thanks ahead of time!

Definitely Bangkok!

Singapore is nice but is a more "sterile" atmosphere. Bangkok is lots of fun, offers lots of cultural sites - palaces, temples, musuems - as well as fascinating slices of life - take a boat and see the floating market, go to the night market. The people are lovely, the shopping is great, the food is terrific and the city has a wonderful energy to it.

I second the vote for Bangkok. There is so much to see and do there that you couldn't possibly get enough of a feel for the city in just a one day port stop. You need to be able to spend a few days to take it all in.

There are literally hundreds of temples in Bangkok to visit. There is the grand palace, the jade buddha, the reclining buddha, the remnants of the city wall, a ride down the Chao Praya river, shopping at the weekend outdoor market, seeing the floating market, visiting Jim Thompson's house, eating the wonderful food, you could go on and on. You could literally live in Bangkok for a year and still discover parts of the city you never knew existed before, believe me, I know, I've been there 12 times!

I concur with the above posts. Bangkok would easily be my choice between the two (if I had to choose) becuase of the fascinating history, culture, etc., for exactly the reasons stated by the two prior posts. I would also try to get to several of the palaces and look for music and dance performances - Thai dance is simply exquisite. Definitely try to get to some of the things off the beaten tourist path (e.g., the tiger orphanage and some of the temples and shrines not usually visited by tourists).

That being said, I confess that I love Singapore and I go back any chance I get. While it is more "modern," it has fascinating museums, great restaurants and shopping (the Singaporean national pastime), great hotels (Raffles), the world's greatest orchid collection at the Botanic Gardens, great and safe street food and restaurants, and a spectacular zoo (ever get to have breakfast with orangutans).

Whichever you choose to do, you will have a wonderful time.

Just arrived home from Princess asia cruise and although I found Singapore to be a great stop, Bangkok is by far more interesting. The temples and palaces are grand, the people friendly and it just has a more exotic feel than Singapore. While Singapore has some lovely and interesting sights, it is very focused on the art of shopping.

We've stayed in both Bangkok and Singapore,and both are world class cities.

We found Bangkok much more Asian, while Singapore still has a strong British

influence.

I think either is a winner - and best of both worlds would be a pre-cruise stay in one city, and post-cruise in the other.

Hi Lois112,

I'm not sure which date you're aiming for but we're booked on the 11 Nov 06 sailing Bangkok to Beijing.

We opted for that one as we wanted to see Okinawa.... Either way, Bangkok and Singapore are fascinating destinations - so you'll have a great time whichever you chose.

Surprisingly, I prefer Singapore myself..... but I admit that Bangkok has more to do during the day IMHO

Have fun!

Another vote for Bangkok, rated as the 2nd best city in Asia by Travel & Leisure. We had a fantastic time in Bangkok pre-cruise. I recommed a river/ klong tour one day. We have ended/began cruises in both ports and stopped in the ports. Singapore is easy to see in a day. The public transportation is accesible to the passenger terminal and the cab drivers are very friendly. I think that the Thai culture is much richer and more interesting than the relatively multinational heritage of Singapore. Don't missinterpret, I love Singapore, but you can't see Bangkok in a day, especially if you are on the Diamond/Sapphire and docked over 2 hrs. from the city.

• 8 months later...

Hi everyone I hope you don't mind me butting in on your post but I am trying to find out information on the tiger orphanage and noticed AJ Theodore was talking about it. Could anyone give me some information and if it is advisable to do this tour in one day. Thankyou Nicole:confused:

Hi everyone I hope you don't mind me butting in on your post but I am trying to find out information on the tiger orphanage and noticed AJ Theodore was talking about it. Could anyone give me some information and if it is advisable to do this tour in one day. Thankyou Nicole:confused:

I posted the information in this thread. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=306705&highlight=tiger+temple

This is what you are speaking about, correct??

http://www.openworldthailand.com/index.php?lay=show&ac=article&Id=294788&Ntype=5

This is the agency we used, but they book 3 day tours. They may have a one day tour-I never inquired about a one day tour.

http://www.jumboriverkwai.com/index.cfm?menuid=188&position=top

These two agencies books 1 day tours, but make sure you check how much time you get with the tigers. Some only let you stay for an hour or two.

http://www.wts-thailand.com/index.cfm?menuid=79

http://www.thailandday.com/

It may be worth your time and trouble to get on the bus in Khaosan Rd (HUGE backpacker area-watch for rip offs) and get yourself to Kanchanaburi. http://www.kanchanaburi-info.com/en/goKan.html

Then use the same agency we used. I just looked at their website.

http://www.jumboriverkwai.com/index.cfm?menuid=39&position=top

They have two or three tiger experiences. You want one that JUST includes the tigers. All the rest of the tours include the River Kwai and Death Railroad and those two items take up about 5 hours, so not much time with the tigers. Bus up and back from Bangkok is about 6 hours. If you need further help, you may email-greatam@earthlink.net. Put CC in the subject line. Enjoy!!!

singapore is a british city set in asia, bangkok is totally unique. by all means visit singapore, it is a great place.but, to spend a few days go to bangkok, patpong, floating markets, the river. the list goes on and on.

Sorry that I missed the recent posts on the tiger orphanage and I hope that this is not too late to be of use.

The one that I was referring to is not the one run by the monks that requires a lenghty excursion outside of Bangkok (although I understand that it is a fascinating/spectacular trip).

The tiger orphanage to which I referred is located in the immediate Bangkok / Liam Chebang area and I found it with the assistance of a very good driver guide. Sadly, I cannot find either the name of the tiger orphage or an address or better location information for it at this time.

In some ways, I found this is a bitter-sweet experience, as it is both a method of preserving the gorgeous tiger but yet a very unnatural, restrictive environment.

If you currently live in an Asian city, I would say go to Singapore. It is a marvelous city and in truely one of the worlds greatest melting pots. Sit in a sidewalk cafe and just people watch and listen to all the different languages being spoken by people walking by.

BUT, if you live in North America and are looking for an "Asian experience", Bangkok cannot be beat! It has a flavor unique to its own and the Thai people are the most gracious, gentle and hospital hosts one could hope for.

Both are specatular places to visit!

• 4 weeks later...

Bangkok is a far more interesting and exciting city than Singapore....that said Singapore is nice if you like organized and clean. Bangkok is crazy, colorful, smelly exciting and very Asian in it's own way. Krupthep in Thai means City of Angels and that is what Bangkok is. Thailand is truly the land of smiles.

On a side note...if you have any limited mobility...the streets in Singapore are a lot easier to walk....Bangkok is potholes and street vendors....

Bangkok also has some of the best shopping in Asia. It is the colored stone capital of the world....buyers come from all over the world in March and September to Thailand to buy what you see in your stores back home! Just read your guides and buy from reputable stores....The Lux guide to Bangkok has a good list.

I have been going to Bangkok for 20 years!

Enjoy

Bangkok definitely. Singapore used to be grimey and mysterious in the 60's but they cleaned the place up and it is no longer as interesting as it was. Bangkok is wonderful.

Lois I stayed at the Royal Orchid Sheraton a couple of years ago and it was wonderful. We were on the top floor and watched the river traffic. We each got a massage in our room for $25.00 for 2 hours. We commented at the front desk about the beautiful lei's and they gave each of on one.

Archived