What to do in Falmouth, Jamaica??

starfishflipflop

Well, the port area itself is nice, with lots of shopping, an open air market, and some American eateries (I personally can't understand the idea of going to Dairy Queen, Nathans, or Margaritaville while you're on vacation, but that's just me).

If you plan on leaving the port you're probably going to want to book a private tour, either through the cruise line or through a private company.

Our first time in Falmouth we went to beach (on a ship sponsored excursion which is no longer offered. Let's just say it was sketchy, at best). When we where just a few weeks ago, the Cruise Director made an annoucement saying they suggest no one leave the port without being on an organized tour due to issues with crime.

Some people have a great time experiencing the local culture and aren't afraid to go it on their own. Others tell horror stories about crime, poverty, and natives so pushy it's hard to make your way down the street. (If you bring binoculars with you, you stand on the ship deck and can see the shanty towns just outside the port, houses made of cardboard and sheet metal. Sad.)

So that said...check out the Jamaica board for ideas on what to do! I personally think this isn't the greatest port of call...on this 2nd visit, we wound up walking around the port for awhile and then relaxed on the ship and enjoyed the peace and quiet. We NEVER are the type to stay on the ship, but one trip to Falmouth is plenty.

Edited by micmacmissy

When we were there in December we did the Good Hope Great House Tour and Lunch. It was very interesting. It's an old plantation that now hosts activities and events, but we went for the tour of the property. We saw the outer buildings by open air bus, then we toureed the Great House (plantation house), which was beautiful, with great views. We then had a lunch of jerk chicken and festival (like a hush puppy) with juice, which was included, and you could purchase beer or cocktails. After we got back to the pier we walked around and shopped a little. The pier was purpose built by RCCL and is closed to all but guests and the vendors.

Further afield Dunn's River Falls and the Green Grotto Caves are both very interesting, but are far, and I had been there before.

Well, the port area itself is nice, with lots of shopping, an open air market, and some American eateries (I personally can't understand the idea of going to Dairy Queen, Nathans, or Margaritaville while you're on vacation, but that's just me).

:o:o

I like Margaritaville.... certainly none where I live, none even close and as a Parrothead usually drop into the ones we bump into on our travels.

Anyone care to comment if there's one at Falmouth?

I like Margaritaville.... certainly none where I live, none even close and as a Parrothead usually drop into the ones we bump into on our travels.

Nope, there's not one where I live, either, but we usually try to seek out authentic local places when we're in another country.

Yes, there is a Margaritaville at Falmouth, it has a pool and everything. You should check it out after you get a milkshake at Dairy Queen and a hot dog at Nathan's. ;) (kidding!)

We also enjoy going to Margaritaville! :D

Yes, there in one within the secured port terminal area at Falmouth.

LuLu

~~~~

Personally - I would stay on the ship. Last time we were docked at the "James Bond" port. From our balcony I could see police (or land security not sure) with machine guns were stationed around the port. My DH and I had big plans to get a taxi out to a highly rated restaurant up in the hills - one look at the security (which I assume they needed) and no way I was getting off the ship. If you do decide to do something I would stick with ship excursions.

Personally - I would stay on the ship. Last time we were docked at the "James Bond" port. From our balcony I could see police (or land security not sure) with machine guns were stationed around the port. My DH and I had big plans to get a taxi out to a highly rated restaurant up in the hills - one look at the security (which I assume they needed) and no way I was getting off the ship. If you do decide to do something I would stick with ship excursions.

The Bond Pier is in Ocho Rios, Jamaica.

Falmouth is in a different town in Jamaica.

The port terminal area in Falmouth is very secured within the gates. It's very safe to walk around within the gates.

LuLu

~~~~

It amazes me that any of the cruise lines still go to Jamacia, These ports have been bad going back to the 90's. I don't know if any one still goes to Ocho Rios or Montego Bay but Leadership in this country must not care about tourism. No one dare go to the Kingston area and now the north shore is getting just as bad.

J.

so where to get local food from? any inside the gates?

I was last there in May 2012, and there was an open-air restaurant inside the gated area that served Jamaican food. We had jerk chicken, fried plantains, beans and rice, etc. I'm not exactly a connoisseur of Jamaican cuisine, but we all thought it was excellent.

Slightly off topic, but several of the shops inside the gated area sell flavored Jamaican rum -- and offer generous free samples. :D

My husband, two children and I were in Falmouth about a year ago. We walked around the village and market outside the terminal gates and had no problems. Yes, there are many security people but it seems like their job is to prevent vendors from being too aggressive in selling their crafts, food, etc. to tourists. The market area is very crowded and the vendors are very eager to make a sale, but can you blame them? They live in poverty and are just trying to earn a living.

We also walked by the school and the students seemed like they hadn't seen many tourists before. They were running races barefoot on a prickly field. Some of the girls touched my daughter's and my hair. Some people might find this frightening, but we found it kind of touching and sweet. We continued walking to a little fishing area on the beach. A few locals approached us but were interested in talking to us and were not threatening in any way.

So, my children got a feel for what it is like to live in a country very different from the US, which I think is a valuable experience.

My cruise is in like 6.5 half months and this port is going to be tricky. We are the only ship in port that day and there are no ships at the Ocho Rios port either.

I'm going to be keeping up with people's experiences in Falmouth but I've booked a tour to the Secret Falls / Blue Hole with Jamaica Phil for $50 a person. Includes transportation, sightseeing tour on the way there/back, The Falls, a stop at a lunch place and a stop at a Private Beach.

I really wanted to do this at an Ocho Rios stop and try to find something "in" Falmouth but not much is popping up. I personally didn't like walking around Ocho Rios when I was there because the amount of people asking me to buy weed and buy CDs just got uncomfortable.

I was looking at maybe going to Time N Place, but since they don't seem to be picking cruise ship guests up anymore, reported taxi rates PP run like $20 R/T and plus $10 for the daypass . . . I may as well spend the extra $20 P/P and do the Secret Falls excursion.

I don't usually do Margaritaville but the pool area does look nice inside the port . . . but I feel like I if we get back with enough time from the Secret Falls excursion we can take 30 minutes to order a drink and jump in the pool . . . really wouldn't spend a day there.

The idea of walking to an authenic Jerk Spot in Falmouth does sound great though, but I just don't want to deal with too much of the haggling.

I dunno, it's a work in progress for us as well right now lol. Staying on the ship is not an option though . . . the only port that gets that treatment is Nassau, and even then I usually get off the ship to walk around the immediate area, find some conch fritters, drink, and maybe some alcohol to open up the last night and then get back on. Being in South Florida, Nassau is almost on every short cruise I make, so I've been a few times to say the least.

Edited by kdawg954

Any suggestions on things to do in Falmouth Jamaica? I have googled, but so far have not come up with much....:p

We did the Best of Jamaica excursion. It featured a trip to Dunn's River Falls, a shopping trip to a small strip mall, an authentic Jamaican lunch of jerk chicken and pork, time at Shaw beach and a boat cruise near Ocho Rios. It was a great way to see and experience Jamaica first hand!

Edited by WiseChoices

Nope, there's not one where I live, either, but we usually try to seek out authentic local places when we're in another country.

Yes, there is a Margaritaville at Falmouth, it has a pool and everything. You should check it out after you get a milkshake at Dairy Queen and a hot dog at Nathan's. ;) (kidding!)

Good humour and telling of how timid some cruisers can be. Falmouth is an historic town locked in time, for a very short future. Enjoy the history before it becomes a Disney attraction!

We cruised to Jamaica October last year and booked an amazing day with Courtney Taylor. We did the blue hole and then lunch at Scotchies and then back to the ship. We were a group of 8 and this time around it will be just my wife and I. We really like to get out and explore but of course safety is always a concern in a foreign place. We love the beach, love the food and love the drink (especially the Dragon stout!!!!). C'mon cruisers, what you got for us?

DK

A true Parrothead never misses an opportunity to make visit to a Margaritaville. :p We will certainly stop by! :D