Upsell Hyatt Pier 66

Isa65

I have a question you guys can hopefully help me with.

We won Hyatt Pier 66 on Hotwire for $166 per night (end April) and are staying for 3 nights.

Currently you can get a room for $107 on Last Minute Travel, so we're already "over paying".

I sent the hotel an e-mail inquiring about possibilities of moving to the Tower, since it will be my birthday.

Today I received a reply stating that we're placed in a "standard marina limited view room" and that we can upgrade to the tower for the following amounts:

There are two options: Tower room (located on the floors 3-8) and Tower high floor (floors 9-15). The upgrade would be at $40 per day for lower floors and $60.00 for higher floors.

Would you guys upgrade and pay these extra fees????

Yes, I would. I stay at the Hyatt Pier 66 regularly and generally get comped into the tower being Hyatt Platinum but that said, the tower rooms are well worth the views. Not only better than the Marina bldgs, but have incredible views and no long walks either.

Definetly worth the money, treat yourself!

Worldspan

Naples, Florida

Personally, I would not pay to upgrade.

I have had a marina view room and your view will be of the boats/yachts docked at the marina near or outside of your room. Not sure by what they mean by "limited". There was one marina view room that I had that did not have a balcony or veranda. And, that was disappointing, to say the least.

Hyatt Regency Pier 66 lost me as a customer several years ago when they closed the revolving roof top lounge to the public. That was a very special venue and a great place to watch the ships sail from Port Everglades.

I would not pay the extra money but then I suppose it all depends on you and what you think it is worth for a view.

When I'm at a hotel pre-cruise of course we want it to be nice but I will see the ocean everyday during the cruise so it is not so important at a hotel.

Thanks all! We don't need to see the ocean, because we live on Curacao;). We don't need to see the yachts at the Marina, because we also have one.

The reason I was considering this (we have 2 rooms), is because here and on Tripadvisor people complain that the rooms in the Marina building are dated, have a/c problems and are a loooooong walk to get to.

Any more input?

Thanks all! We don't need to see the ocean, because we live on Curacao;). We don't need to see the yachts at the Marina, because we also have one.

The reason I was considering this (we have 2 rooms), is because here and on Tripadvisor people complain that the rooms in the Marina building are dated, have a/c problems and are a loooooong walk to get to.

Any more input?

A long walk to get to? I do not think so. And, if one thinks that it is, it can be through hotel grounds and around the pools that are lovely. Or, along a covered walkway leading from the main building to the lanai and marina rooms building. What is wrong with that? I cannot say if the rooms are "dated". It has been too long since I have stayed there. I found all of the rooms in that building in which I have stayed over the years to be delightful, very spacious, very clean, and as long as there was a veranda or patio, very acceptable.

A change of ownership took place at this property that has caused me to choose other pre-cruise or post-cruise hotel options.

Hyatt Regency Pier 66 lost me as a customer several years ago when they closed the revolving roof top lounge to the public. That was a very special venue and a great place to watch the ships sail from Port Everglades.

That venue was sucking the life out of the hotel. It didn't make any money and was costing the property hundreds of thousands a year just to operate.

stayed last year (got room fron $75 a night on priceline) rooms was nice in the villas, we were close to the tower so for us it was not a long walk... We had no issue with the room being clean, bed was comfortable. air con worked well,, that is all we asked for, Bathroom may be a little dated but the water was hot and lots of pressure.. i would stay there again

That venue was sucking the life out of the hotel. It didn't make any money and was costing the property hundreds of thousands a year just to operate.

Thank you for this information. I was not aware that this was the situation. Drinks and what little food items that were available I remember as not being inexpensive. And, most of the times I patronized the facility, there was a nice crowd.

It is just a real shame that the new owners of the hotel could not find some way of keeping this facility open.

Maybe I ought to consider another stay during a future visit to Fort Lauderdale.

Thank you for this information. I was not aware that this was the situation. Drinks and what little food items that were available I remember as not being inexpensive. And, most of the times I patronized the facility, there was a nice crowd.

It is just a real shame that the new owners of the hotel could not find some way of keeping this facility open.

Maybe I ought to consider another stay during a future visit to Fort Lauderdale.

The property already has three or four other restaurants and they are so expensive to staff and maintain. The bar was more often empty than it was even half full and a quarter of a million dollar loss a year is very hard to make up. It was cheaper to close it and use it for special events only. At one time they were trying Sunday Brunch but I don't know if it is still going on.

I know you've mentioned a couple of times about new owners but as far as I know, it hasn't changed ownership. Do you have a link?

The property already has three or four other restaurants and they are so expensive to staff and maintain. The bar was more often empty than it was even half full and a quarter of a million dollar loss a year is very hard to make up. It was cheaper to close it and use it for special events only. At one time they were trying Sunday Brunch but I don't know if it is still going on.

I know you've mentioned a couple of times about new owners but as far as I know, it hasn't changed ownership. Do you have a link?

It has been a few years, but I am almost certain that I read somewhere that a New York based hedge fund had purchased a controlling stake in the property. Then, when I next stayed there and found the Skytop Lounge closed, I asked a Manager as to what was going on and he confirmed that the closing was due to new owners.

Regarding all this discussion of the rooftop lounge, it is still accessible via the special elevator most hours of the day. It is a great spot to get both indoor and outdoor views of Port Everglades and the skyline of the city of Fort Lauderdale. And that special elevator is glass so you get some incredible views going up and down.

Is it the hotel worn, probably yes. But I enjoy it nonetheless. The pool area is one of the best in Fort Lauderdale, open and spacious with lots of landscaping around it Fun to walk around the yachts parked beside the hotel as well. The breakfast buffet which is quite tasty is the most reasonably priced in Fort Lauderdale amongst the major hotels, about $20.00. The other major hotels like the Marriott and Ritz Carlton get $25-$32 for their own buffets

Worldspan

worldspan,

Thank you for your information about access to the rooftop lounge. The last time I was there, which has not been recently, it could not be accessed by the special elevator, the regular hotel elevators, nor by the stairway. The elevators did not operate to that level and the door to the lounge in the stairwell was locked.

As I said earlier, maybe I ought to give Hyatt Regency Pier 66 another try. But, if the hotel needs refurbishing, why spend that kind of money on a so-so resort when Fort Lauderdale offers so many others that are "top drawer".

Stayed there 2 weeks ago before out cruise. Stayed three nights. We won on Priceline and they upgraded us to tower for free. That said, my brother in law ( also got in Priceline) didn't get "upgraded" and I found his room in the two story portion if the resort much nicer. More modern. View of pool with large balcony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk