Changes to the Next Cruise Program

So, if we book onboard we have to pick our cabin and sail date, and if we pick a jr suite, will we get 200.00, just checking.

Yes, that's what it looks like, for a 7 day cruise you would get $200 for the JS.

Thanks for checking Ellen. At least it's good news about the JS being included.:)

It's the least I could do since I was the bearer of the bad news:)

Just checked the RCL website and no surprise, it still has the old program:eek:

I believe there was no clearly marked "opt out" option on the most recent NCC order form too. I always wrote "No travel agent" on my order form, and that was honored. Sometimes they would have me fill out a separate form giving a reason why I was not using the current travel agent.

Hi Bob

It does say - The “Opt Out” option on the previous Onboard Booking form is no longer listed on the new form.

so I presume no longer means there was one before :confused:

I just got even more confused reading through it all :o

Next Cruise = booking made onboard (as in your next cruise)

Open Booking = for use at later date (open for you to decide)

So what we usually call a Next Cruise certificate is actually not a Next cruise certificate now ?

Oh my giddy aunt I need a major cup of coffee now :o

Correct, it is now called an Open Booking with a non-refundable deposit.

Now when booking A Next Cruise on board you are actually booking a specific cruise and that deposit is completely refundable up until final payment date.

Thanks for checking Ellen. At least it's good news about the JS being included.:)

Bob do you remember a couple of weeks back there was a poster that had one of the OLD N/C that were combinable with everything?

I never saw if they ever reported back whether RCL honored it or not. Do you know? Just curious. Thanks

Correct, it is now called an Open Booking with a non-refundable deposit.

Now when booking A Next Cruise on board you are actually booking a specific cruise and that deposit is completely refundable up until final payment date.

Thank you, yes I understand the refund policy, it was just the actual naming of the, "book later/decide later/next cruise/open booking" that got me.

So I guess in future on here if anyone posts asking about a next cruise reservation then before we answer correctly we will need to ask if they mean a booking made onboard or the old "next cruise cert".

Hi Bob

It does say - The “Opt Out” option on the previous Onboard Booking form is no longer listed on the new form.

so I presume no longer means there was one before :confused:

For several years, there was an "opt out" checkbox on the NCC order form. Then last March (2013), they changed the terms so there were no more Friends & Family certificates, and allowed the transfer of the open booking to someone else. This was when I noticed the "opt out" checkbox was removed.

Curious about this part of the T&Cs -

"Single occupancy guests paying less than 200% cruise fare will be eligible for a prorated value of the Offer."

So what happens to those who qualify for the 150% single supplement ?

Does this mean then that if I get a "deal"(doesn't really exist anymore) for a solo that the now reduced OBC is further reduced? Takes away the incentive to buy future bookings.

Does this mean then that they will increase the grats for JS if they are giving the higher OBC for it..as they are in effect calling a JS a Suite. ?

I don't know. I was surprised that the agent said that the JS were included. If anyone else calls please ask that question. As we know sometimes what one is told can change

Edited by molly361

For several years, there was an "opt out" checkbox on the NCC order form. Then last March (2013), they changed the terms so there were no more Friends & Family certificates, and allowed the transfer of the open booking to someone else. This was when I noticed the "opt out" checkbox was removed.

Thank you Bob. Having never actually bought an old NC I wasn't sure how it was on the actual form as I usually get old NCs from friends.

Does this mean then that if I get a "deal"(doesn't really exist anymore) for a solo that the now reduced OBC is further reduced? Takes away the incentive to buy future bookings.

At this time we don't really know what will happen...they say one thing but may do another. :(

Looks like they need some quick cash, since they're giving better incentives to book a specific cruise, and one can usually book up to 18 months out. So w/in 15 months, they'll get all their money for cruises booked. Add to that the income they make once you step onboard, and they are getting a lot!

I just wonder how many emails are going to show up in Vicki Freed's in-box come Monday morning.:D

I'm OK with booking specific cruises on board, and I'm encouraged that longer cruises and cruises in suites get more OBC. That's good for many folks. In fact, we have a TA next year that I might be able to cancel and rebook because the OBC will go from $200 to $400. I lucked out with timing because I'll be cruising next week.

The big problem for me is the situation we have at this time of year, when there are popular cruises being released and you don't have much time to book before suites are gone. Basically if you're not cruising during this period, we would lose out OBC for those cruises.

I guess one solution is to make plans to be cruising from mid February to mid April every year.

We only started booking the NCC last year , currently hold 4 , and have only ever booked two specific cruises onboard in all our 15 years of cruising preferring to shop around when we get home. We still hold RCI shares.

I am always amazed when I hear of Americans, or those that book through the US, booking multiple cruises that they physically cannot take as the cruises overlap holding on to them until the optimum flight/hotel prices fall into line then cancel before final payment the cruise they do not want. You know who you are;):D

RCI's market has increased elsewhere in the world where booking conditions are completely different and guests don't have the luxury of playing this game.

This change looks like it goes some way towards curbing this policy .

It is just the way I see it, no flames please.

I gave 5 of the old ones and am not worried about them not offering the deal I purchased them under. It is a form of contract and I don't see RCCL saying that the change is retroactive.

My problem is that based on some of the other changes, I don't see 5 cruises in my near future. :(

If they're the transferable ones, let me know if you want to sell some :D

We only started booking the NCC last year , currently hold 4 , and have only ever booked two specific cruises onboard in all our 15 years of cruising preferring to shop around when we get home. We still hold RCI shares.

I am always amazed when I hear of Americans, or those that book through the US, booking multiple cruises that they physically cannot take as the cruises overlap holding on to them until the optimum flight/hotel prices fall into line then cancel before final payment the cruise they do not want. You know who you are;):D

RCI's market has increased elsewhere in the world where booking conditions are completely different and guests don't have the luxury of playing this game.

This change looks like it goes some way towards curbing this policy .

It is just the way I see it, no flames please.

Don't understand why they'd book overlapping cruises. I'd assume they'd lose the OBC when they change the booking.

Just gave my friend $200 to get me 2 NCs when he cruises this week..gonna tell him NOT to cash that check:mad:

Anyway,Im late to the game........can someone tell me about the part of changing ships/dates/names,whatever and the penalty.

We had some old open bookings that the fine print said not combinable w/ balcony discounts. But we were able to get the balcony discounts, because they were so old that their computer system used the newer system.

So, who knows how long they'll honor the older model.

Just gave my friend $200 to get me 2 NCs when he cruises this week..gonna tell him NOT to cash that check:mad:

Anyway,Im late to the game........can someone tell me about the part of changing ships/dates/names,whatever and the penalty.

Hi Kathy- The terms say that if you pick a specific cruise while onboard and then change the ship and or sail date they can reduce your OBC to the amount of an open booking OBC which now is $25 for 7 days. There is no more OBC for cruises less than 5 days.

If you book a specific 7 day cruise onboard you still get the $100 OBC for a balcony. less for OV or inside open booking is $25

Edited by molly361