princess or celebrity

cruisehome

I was on the Celebrity Equinox TA in November. I had a great time and would definitely sail them again. However, we are booked on the Crown (CA Coastal cruise) next month. Princess was about 1/2 of the cost of Celebrity. Then again, I've never had a bad cruise. Food is very subjective but I've never starved:)

The only thing I am not looking forward to are the smaller cabins (but we are on Caribe so we have a bigger balcony).

Enjoy whichever you decide.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I understand the convenience aspect of the Celebrity drink package, but when I have checked it out the limitations mean DW and I would use it very little. However, you don't have to take that option. We chose gratuities instead, since we know we would have to pay that anyway. That does reduce the cost of the cruise. But my heart is still with Princess.

We usually cruise with Celebrity, but have enjoyed several cruises on Princess. I think there are more similarities than differences. I would not agree with those who say food and service are better on Princess. We have had some very good meals on both lines, but more substandard meals on Princess, especially beef selections. I would say that Princess desserts are better however. I have noticed no difference in service between the lines - we have had exemplary service on both.

We choose based on price and itinerary so our next cruise is on Princess and the two following ones on Celebrity. We have had cruises with drink packages included, but this is not a deal maker for us because we are moderate drinkers and will not pay more for the package. Incidentally we have never seen intoxicated people as a result of the free package. The only times we have seen any people overindulging were once on Ruby Princess and once on Celebrity Century and these were both short Caribbean cruises which attracted a younger clientele, before the advent of free packages.

hold on everyone

we just came off the reflection with the free drink program and free drinks all 7 days it was great but we were not that happy with the food and the ship was quiet

liked the pizza, desserts and even food better on princess

so go figure

That was my experience on the Summit except we paid for our drink package. I have to say we booked Celebrity because of itinerary and we did like our ocean view room better than anything we had on Princess. I would book Celebrity again based on itinerary and price. The free drink package would make up for the so so food.

Wrong. We paid the lowest price my cruise had been and even lower than it currently is after final payment and got the drink package. After the promo was over for my cruise the price rose to $1,000 more per person and stayed that way until my category sold out. There are just as many like me on the Celebrity Boards as there are those that had a price increase. I paid $1,609

Price Created Updated

$ 2,559 2013‑12‑13 2014‑03‑11

$ 2,309 2013‑09‑19 2013‑10‑17

$ 2,209 2013‑09‑10 2013‑09‑19

$ 2,109 2013‑08‑20 2013‑09‑09

$ 2,009 2013‑07‑11 2013‑08‑19

$ 1,809 2013‑06‑24 2013‑07‑10

$ 1,709 2013‑05‑23 2013‑06‑24

$ 1,659 2013‑04‑24 2013‑05‑23

$ 1,609 2012‑04‑13 2013‑04‑23

So in other words, those people before and after you paid for your "Free" packages, or those who dont drink alot then subsidise those that do. Give me cheaper cruise fare anyday as I am not a booze junkie

OP is talking about the "Pick Your Perk" promotion where she can choose to have a free beverage program for the length of her cruise.

I've been on a Celebrity cruise where this perk was offered and let me tell you, people were making it pay for them from the wee morning hours until late at night. I have never seen so many people over-indulging in my life.

If free alcohol attracts you, then go for Celebrity. IMO, I'd rather have a more in-control crowd of people sailing with me. Both offer a good cruise experience otherwise so you can't go wrong with either one.

I will be the first to admit that I had Baily's in my coffee every morning at breakfast along with a Mimosa or Bloody Mary. However, I drank more water on this cruise than any other cruise that I have been on. On Princess I drink soft drinks since water isn't included in the ultimate drink package. I still order a morning cocktail on Princess as well.