One More IDEA About the Drink Packages

curtdesilets

There is heavy debate about whether or not the 1-2-3 Drink package brings about a heavier alcohol consumption and a more party atmosphere.

Most responders said no...that they utilized it more for specialty coffee drinks etc.

What I would say is if it is a "free" perk, people may not overindulge and try to get a dozen drinks or something nuts like that.

Conversely, if someone is paying $49 a day for a drink package, then he or she might subconsciously (or consciously) try to "get their money's worth" and would in fact drink more than those on the "free" perk.

There is heavy debate about whether or not the 1-2-3 Drink package brings about a heavier alcohol consumption and a more party atmosphere.

Most responders said no...that they utilized it more for specialty coffee drinks etc.

What I would say is if it is a "free" perk, people may not overindulge and try to get a dozen drinks or something nuts like that.

Conversely, if someone is paying $49 a day for a drink package, then he or she might subconsciously (or consciously) try to "get their money's worth" and would in fact drink more than those on the "free" perk.

50/50 chance, anything is possible, but with the typical person sailing on a Celebrity ship being a mature adult, we have not seen this. We have friends that have been purchasing the packages for a number of years, they are nothing new. The pkg makes it cost effective to order 3 glasses of wine which would cost $12-14 ea than buying a bottle @ $50-60 and only getting 2 glasses each. And yes, there is a lot more to what the total pkg encompasses than just booze.

Here is my "RUFF" run down of a day with a drink pkg on another thread

For us at least, the package was not just about drinks that would make us not remember the cruise! It was everything else that the pkg includes.

A speciality coffee each on the balcony while the wifester is putting on her face, $5 ea.

Evian or San Pellegrino with fresh squeezed juice with that second coffee at breakfast, $15 ea.

Grab a bottle water on the way to stake out a deck chair, $4 ea.

$24 each before any mind altering liquid is consumed.

A beer or the drink of the day by the pool, $6 ea

Then off to lunch, maybe a soda, or another San Pellegrino $5 ea

The sun is hot hot hot! A cold beer or drink of the day is in order, $6 ea

The burger at the Mast Grill is calling our names, it does not go down with out some liquid assistance, $5 ea, then it is time to meet friends to watch the sun set from the Sunset Bar, $6 ea. Afternoon total $28.

And the evening fun has yet to begin.

San Pellegrino and a couple of glasses of wine with dinner, and another speciality coffee with desert, $26 ea

Now it is time for some mind altering sampling to happen, or not A cocktail with friends at one of the watering holes on ship $7 ea, or 2 if we are letting our hair down!

One more bottle water on the way back to the cabin just in case we get thirsty during the night, $4. Evening total, $44.

Morning, $24, day, $28, evening $44, total $96.00 each useing the low end of the cost scale and not much mind altering substance.

Some evening's we will grab another coffee ( or worse) and go and sit on deck 5 to unwind, listen to the swoosh of the waves gently breaking down the side of the ship before heading to the cabin.

Edited by wallie5446

50/50 chance, anything is possible, but with the typical person sailing on a Celebrity ship being a mature adult, we have not seen this. We have friends that have been purchasing the packages for a number of years, they are nothing new. The pkg makes it cost effective to order 3 glasses of wine which would cost $12-14 ea than buying a bottle @ $50-60 and only getting 2 glasses each. And yes, there is a lot more to what the total pkg encompasses than just booze.

For us at least, the package was not just about drinks that would make us not remember the cruise! It was everything else that the pkg includes.

A speciality coffee each on the balcony while the wifester is putting on her face, $5 ea.

Evian or San Pellegrino with fresh squeezed juice with that second coffee at breakfast, $15 ea.

The burger at the Mast Grill is calling our names, it does not go down with out some liquid assistance, $5 ea, then it is time to meet friends to watch the sun set from the Sunset Bar, $6 ea. Afternoon total $28.

San Pellegrino and a couple of glasses of wine with dinner, and another speciality coffee with desert, $26 ea

Now it is time for some mind altering sampling to happen, or not A cocktail with friends at one of the watering holes on ship $7 ea, or 2 if we are letting our hair down!

One more bottle water on the way back to the cabin just in case we get thirsty during the night, $4. Evening total, $44.

Morning, $24, day, $28, evening $44, total $96.00 each useing the low end of the cost scale and not much mind altering substance.

Some evening's we will grab another coffee ( or worse) and go and sit on deck 5 to unwind, listen to the swoosh of the waves gently breaking down the side of the ship before heading to the cabin.

Good points Wallie. It seems totally worth it.

I'm hopeful that as you say most Celebrity cruisers are mature people. We have not been on a Celebrity cruise since the offering of these free perks began.

We are however going on a fairly new itinerary: Century's Pacific Coastal over Spring Break, so there may be the possibility of some "less mature" individuals, that are not the typical Celebrity cruiser. I sure hope not. :D

Hi all,

I know this is a bit off the topic here, but have not seen it on any of the other drink threads, and just curious. I know what the cost of drinks are, and that with the package you are only allowed to purchase 1 drink at a time. My question is,,,, are you allowed to order a double ( say, a double rum and coke with regular rum) if the price in under the $13 limit for the premium package? thanks anyone

Hi all,

I know this is a bit off the topic here, but have not seen it on any of the other drink threads, and just curious. I know what the cost of drinks are, and that with the package you are only allowed to purchase 1 drink at a time. My question is,,,, are you allowed to order a double ( say, a double rum and coke with regular rum) if the price in under the $13 limit for the premium package? thanks anyone

Yes, and if you have the premium package, and the price is over the limit, you would pay only the difference (if it was classic, you'd have to pay for the whole thing)

As to package value, I'm not a heavy partier or drinker. I'm just of a charter where they did not offer packages.

Boarding day, my drink bill was about $105:

If I recall....

1 large evian

1 triple americano

2 cans coke

3 martinis at martini bar

2 drinks at pool bar

1 drink in Theatre

Our consumption is more along the lines of Wallie's. I really like being able to grab a bottle of Evian as we disembark at a port or get a specialty coffee in the morning. Plus sitting at the Aft Bar with a drink of the day or a glass of wine in the evening is really nice. We had our first drink package last year in Alaska and I do believe we got our money's worth mostly without drinking alcohol. It will be interesting to see if that changes a little when we are in the Southern Caribbean next year.

We just got the higher package for a transatlantic cruise. We figures like others you need to drink any combination of drinks in the amount of 6.5 per day. If relaxing and eating two or three nice meals a day this drink total is well within reason. Besides I am not driving nor am I responsible for children or family. If you can't drink what you want in this situation then when? We pay a lot of money to live like the swells for a brief period. I bet my liver is up for the challenge. Studies have shown repeatedly non addicted persons presented with unlimited access do not get repeatedly tanked. Rather the successful person will self limit. If this were not true the lines would not offer at the price.

I don't drink many alcoholic beverages because I usually don't care for the taste. In fact, the premium non-alcohol is the perfect package for me. With 123 however, I'm looking forward to being able to try different things and won't feel bad if I take a sip and nothing more.

Coming from a 33 year old, I truthfully feel it simply depends on the maturity of the passenger. I have seen the most intoxicated behaviors on the two RCL ships I have taken recently. Interestingly enough, I did not see the same level of intoxication on the Carnival ships or on the Summit where I plenty of people had an alcohol package. There is always going to be someone who over-imbibes whether they have a package or not. I will truthfully admit I have been that person (a booze cruise excursion in Barbados comes to mind). On my Summit cruise last year, a couple girls at our dinner table booked the trip because of the 123 perks and they have the beverage package. I never saw them inebriated or over the top (they were 25). I could easily see having the premium alcohol package as I will often have 2 or 3 martinis or glasses of wine over the course of an evening out with friends. When I was on Summit, I had the premium NA package and probably had about 4-5 liters of Evian a day, plus a large Pellegrino at dinner, at least one espresso, a couple of the NA drinks by the pool (they would have been awesome with a little vodka), and typically a smoothie from the spa area. So when I think about combining my NA liquid intake with what I have when I go out to eat with friends, I see myself "hitting the mark" without having an absurd quantity of alcohol. So truthfully, I think it is a 50-50 shot of how people approach the package as to whether or not there is a lot of drunken behaviors.

We have had the drink package as a perk and we have paid for it. When we purchased the drink package ourselves there was defiantly a mind set of we need to try to get our money's worth even though we probably already were from how much water/coffee we drank. However, we still also consumed more alcohol. This past time when we had it as a perk and just upgrade to premium we drank significantly less since if we drank one martini we got our money's worth. I'm not saying any of it actually makes sense it's just how we thought about it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi all,

We found no need to order doubles. They were pouring them long enough there wasn't all that much room for coke. If they'd doubled the alcohol there would definitely have been no room for coke :eek:.

There is definitely some logic to that. However, it only looks at one slice of the whole picture.

I would agree that people paying a LOT for a specific beverage package are more likely to use it even heavier (to get their money's worth) than someone getting the same package for "free".

But BOTH are likely to drink a lot more than someone paying per drink, which is what far more people would be doing if the beverage package weren't given away as part of a promo.

It surprises me that Celebrity would give away free alcohol packages like this, because alcohol sales are their biggest profit center. They're undercutting their biggest revenue stream. Perhaps it's a short-term "loss leader" to coax people into a higher base fare structure, and then when the promo goes away, the higher fares don't and they hope most people don't notice.

There is definitely some logic to that. However, it only looks at one slice of the whole picture.

I would agree that people paying a LOT for a specific beverage package are more likely to use it even heavier (to get their money's worth) than someone getting the same package for "free".

But BOTH are likely to drink a lot more than someone paying per drink, which is what far more people would be doing if the beverage package weren't given away as part of a promo.

It surprises me that Celebrity would give away free alcohol packages like this, because alcohol sales are their biggest profit center. They're undercutting their biggest revenue stream. Perhaps it's a short-term "loss leader" to coax people into a higher base fare structure, and then when the promo goes away, the higher fares don't and they hope most people don't notice.

We booked our Nov 2013 sailing in Feb '13 under the 123 promo. The promo went away in March and the cost with no perks kept climbing. After final the cost came down to within $100 of what we booked at, yet there was no perk.

We did the same this year, booked in Feb. under the 123, our cat is sold out with 230 days till sailing, and fares are up over $500 pp on the next lower category. The 'Pick your Perk' ends in 2 weeks.

So if I want to drink at every meal because I don't get to do that at home...I will. I will have baileys in my coffee, a KIR for breakfast or mimosa....or a bloody mary.....then I will have a beer or frozen drink for lunch and a couple bottles of wine with my husband at dinner....then maybe some drinks before I go to bed....my vacation....my money...this isn't spring break in Daytona.....I am in my 40s and have 5 kids....alcohol hurts if done incorrectly and is not easy to recover from at this age....if I want to not sign a receipt the whole time I am on the cruise....my choice.

The break even point is about 8 drinks of something a day. two or three beers, a couple of martinis and some bottled water would make the package a good deal. However, there are many of us that just can't (or choose not to) drink that much.

It's really a matter of what you want to do. If you are borderline, get (or choose) the package because it's always nice not to have to think about it. If you drink a few martini's at the elite cocktail event, have fresh orange juice in blu, have bottled water in your cabin (aqua), and get good coffee in the elite lounge...or all day if you are elite plus....then the package probably isn't a very good deal.

The break even point is about 8 drinks of something a day. two or three beers, a couple of martinis and some bottled water would make the package a good deal. However, there are many of us that just can't (or choose not to) drink that much.

It's really a matter of what you want to do. If you are borderline, get (or choose) the package because it's always nice not to have to think about it. If you drink a few martini's at the elite cocktail event, have fresh orange juice in blu, have bottled water in your cabin (aqua), and get good coffee in the elite lounge...or all day if you are elite plus....then the package probably isn't a very good deal.

After this next sailing we will finally reach this lofty status called Elite:D

So many people think of just the alcohol aspect of the package, but it is so much more. You described a typical day wonderfully

Carol

So many people think of just the alcohol aspect of the package, but it is so much more. You described a typical day wonderfully

Carol

I count 9 alcoholic drinks....clearly the package is a good deal for that individual. If I drank 9 drinks a day, I wouldn't be here typing....I'd probably have fallen off the ship.

Is there a way to track how much of your daily drink value you already used? With all the specialty drinks and juices in the morning and beer in the afternoon I would like to know what is left for dinner, so I don't go over. Can sommelier or bar attender tell me what amount is left on my "daily drinking account"?

Is there a way to track how much of your daily drink value you already used? With all the specialty drinks and juices in the morning and beer in the afternoon I would like to know what is left for dinner, so I don't go over. Can sommelier or bar attender tell me what amount is left on my "daily drinking account"?

I don't think there is a daily limit.

You mean on your package? There is no daily limit. The bartenders

and/or Sommeliers would not have any records of how much you

have been drinking during the day.

I count 9 alcoholic drinks....clearly the package is a good deal for that individual. If I drank 9 drinks a day, I wouldn't be here typing....I'd probably have fallen off the ship.

LOL...and I would be right there too;)

I am doing the package on my upcoming cruise as it was part of the 123

promo.....for 88 bucks and change I will upgrade it to the Premium but

I still won't have 9 drinks a day...not 9 with booze in them anyway:p

I don't think there is a daily limit.

I think (could be mistaken) that daily "limit" for premium package is $86 per person. What if you go over $86? Some people easily can - I doubt Celebrity will be paying for their drinks. Did anybody has experience of going over the limit of $86?