Transportation from Civitavecchia to Rome

nacsivmw

We wil be cruising on HA in Sept 2014 and on the day we will be heading into Rome, I found there are 4 ships with over 11,000 cruisers in port that day. This is our first trip to Rome. Some of our other ports will have either one ship or just us, which I'm grateful for, but Rome will be a heavy day (and Naples, with over 12,000 people). We would like to explore Rome on our own, but wondering if it would be worth taking the ships "transit only" option and then going out on our own. We are excited to explore the public transportation in our other ports, but would like advice on "Rome first timers" navigating the train system with 11,000 other tourists! I've really enjoyed reading the posts on CC, have gotten lots of good ideas, this is my first post. Thanks!

We wil be cruising on HA in Sept 2014 and on the day we will be heading into Rome, I found there are 4 ships with over 11,000 cruisers in port that day. This is our first trip to Rome. Some of our other ports will have either one ship or just us, which I'm grateful for, but Rome will be a heavy day (and Naples, with over 12,000 people). We would like to explore Rome on our own, but wondering if it would be worth taking the ships "transit only" option and then going out on our own. We are excited to explore the public transportation in our other ports, but would like advice on "Rome first timers" navigating the train system with 11,000 other tourists! I've really enjoyed reading the posts on CC, have gotten lots of good ideas, this is my first post. Thanks!

I see that you are new to the board so welcome. There is a ton of info here to answer your questions and the search function is now working so if you do a search it will be of great help to you as well as reading the sticky on top of the board page First timers to Europe.With a little homework Rome is easy to do yourself and all the info re trains,ticket prices and how to get around is right here on this board.

This sort of passenger load is, unfortunately, not uncommon during the peak Mediterranean cruising season -- and it is often exceeded.

However, keep in mind that the percent of those cruisers who will be DIY-ers looking to take the train alongside you will be pretty small. Most people opt to take the ship tours (especially those with no experience in Europe and who haven't found sites like Cruise Critic for sharing private tours), or arrange private transport.

Could the trains be crowded? Yes, certainly. Especially returning to Civitavecchia from Rome at the end of the day, if several of these ships are departing at the same time. (However, if any of the ships are on their turnaround day, their embarking passengers likely will have to head to Civi earlier than you).

These are regional trains without specific seating -- so on the one hand, you are nearly guaranteed to get on the train. But on the other hand, consider it more like a crowded metro ride during rush hour. You may have to stand part of the way.

Getting to the train station itself is so easy, and the amount of time you can have in Rome is longer (and your flexibility greater) if you take the train vs. the ship's "On Your Own" shuttle. I would always opt for more time, but others prefer to trade off for a guaranteed seat.

Civitavecchia is a huge port and a 4 ship day is really nothing unusual. The peak time trains can get crowded (especially on week days since they are also commuter trains for many that work in Rome) but we have always been able to get on the train (although we have had to stand once or twice). You might also want to plan your day knowing that train stops at several different Rome train stations before it reaches the main Termini Station. Jumping off at a place like the S. Pietro Station will shorten your train ride by up to 20 min...and might actually work better depending on your itinerary.

Hank

We're in the same position as nacsivmw. We arrive in Civi at 8 a.m. on turnaround day, and the QE will be in port with us, so I guess not as many people, but still a crowd. This is in November, and on the Maasdam. We have visited Rome a few times, and really, the only thing that is definitely on our "must-do" list is the Vatican Museums. If we take the train to S. Pietro station and walk from there, what do you think would be a good time to order tickets for? Maybe 10 a.m.? Or 10:30? I would hate to miss our entry time. And also, once through there and the Sistine Chapel, do you take a back way into St. Peter's? We don't sail until 9 p.m., so I suppose we could arrange things for a little later in the day. Any advice would be appreciated.

We're in the same position as nacsivmw. We arrive in Civi at 8 a.m. on turnaround day, and the QE will be in port with us, so I guess not as many people, but still a crowd. This is in November, and on the Maasdam. We have visited Rome a few times, and really, the only thing that is definitely on our "must-do" list is the Vatican Museums. If we take the train to S. Pietro station and walk from there, what do you think would be a good time to order tickets for? Maybe 10 a.m.? Or 10:30? I would hate to miss our entry time. And also, once through there and the Sistine Chapel, do you take a back way into St. Peter's? We don't sail until 9 p.m., so I suppose we could arrange things for a little later in the day. Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm not as familiar with what happens on a turn-around day -- are some folks getting off the ship for good and others getting on? And if so, could it be the case that you wouldn't be able to get off right away?

I'd probably shoot for 10:30 tickets. I've read many times that if you show up a bit early, they often will let you in.

If you want to take the shortcut from the Sistine chapel into St. Peters, make sure you don't rent an audioguide -- those have to be returned to the front desk at the museum.

Instead of exiting the Sistine through the door to the left (which takes you back through a different route of the museum), you want to take the door to the right. This door is technically for tour groups, but in the three times I've tried it, I've never had a problem. I've heard others say that you should just follow a group out -- I've not really had to do that, but every so often I'm told they "crack down" on folks using this shortcut.

After you go to the right, just keep walking along the long corridor (only one way to go, really). Eventually you'll end up at the entrance to St. Peters, having skipped the security line-up.

Be sure to dress appropriately -- shoulders and knees covered.

Get the new Rick Steve's Med Ports book. He will go step by step on how to get to Rome from the ship and makes great suggestions in a few different tour routes once in Rome.

Also he has great suggestions on how to avoid standing in line for hours by getting advance tickets in the internet.

Rick Steve's book is a great and inexpensive start to Rome and other Med ports on your own !!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the advice, Cruisemom. I'm sure it will be very helpful. We should be able to disembark when we want. I figure the train ride is about 1 1/2 hours?

Actually, since you'll be getting off at San Pietro (the first of the regular Rome stops) it is about an hour, give or take a few minutes (depending on your train's schedule, some have fewer stops).