Eurodam Burger Joint - The Dive-In

billbunger

I've never been on HAL but I'm thinking of trying it out eventually. Is this burger place an up charge or included? How does the food in general compare to Celebrity (my current line of choice)?

Thanks!

:)

Hello, SSFrance69. Just to say that I sailed on the magnificent SS France in 1969 on a transatlantic from New York to Southhampton. It was my first ocean voyage, and it was memorable --- all that champagne and wine included at dinner! On board, but not travelling in my class, was Jane Fonda and Roger Vadim! I ate at a table for 8, and I'll never forget the couple from Mississippi who brought along their brown Cadillac and told us all about their home with elevators. Later on, I saw the Caddy parked outside a hotel in Edinburgh. Heavy stuff for a young person in his first year of a university teaching career!

Hello, SSFrance69. Just to say that I sailed on the magnificent SS France in 1969 on a transatlantic from New York to Southhampton. It was my first ocean voyage, and it was memorable --- all that champagne and wine included at dinner! On board, but not travelling in my class, was Jane Fonda and Roger Vadim! I ate at a table for 8, and I'll never forget the couple from Mississippi who brought along their brown Cadillac and told us all about their home with elevators. Later on, I saw the Caddy parked outside a hotel in Edinburgh. Heavy stuff for a young person in his first year of a university teaching career!

Hi Columbia,

I also sailed SS France in 1969. Not quite the way you did however. It was my parent's honeymoon and it was where I was conceived! It explains my love of cruising. My parents told me stories of caviar being lovingly served with an ice cream scoop onto their plates. :)

I haven't been to the dive-in yet, but I know there is no upcharge. It is included and I believe is located out my the lido pool

Yes, it's by the Lido pool in the location formerly known as the Terrace Grill.

Oh No !.. Darnit ! I hate to reply negatively..but here goes. First of all I am a male- I'm over 70 (ouch) and I love informal food. Especially BBQ and burgers.. Last week I came home from the Eurodam with a personal promise to myself not to repeat that ship (or Holland America) again.

One reason was their killing-off the Lido grill. As slow as it was, originally, I had no problem with the 2 minute wait- after all it gave my wife time to get the beer, then we could add our condiments on that side table over there.

But no more. No side table, no more 1 minute wait- I'm handed another computerized flipper and told to wait... Excuse me (think Steve Martin) ,I did not escape to a cruise ship to hold this thing! The hot dogs are now smaller (1/8 lb) and the hamburgers are overdone to the USA government recommended levels of 'don't even think of enjoying me'. Gee, am I the only guy here who would like a real steak, burger or brat without some 'special sauce' from a corporate vegetarian exec who mandates this stuff ?

Ok, the trip was only $4k. But when we got home- 2" steak from Sams club. Real Boarshead dogs and now I'm lookin' for a cruise with guys' food.

Where should I look?

Oh No !.. Darnit ! I hate to reply negatively..but here goes. First of all I am a male- I'm over 70 (ouch) and I love informal food. Especially BBQ and burgers.. Last week I came home from the Eurodam with a personal promise to myself not to repeat that ship (or Holland America) again.

One reason was their killing-off the Lido grill. As slow as it was, originally, I had no problem with the 2 minute wait- after all it gave my wife time to get the beer, then we could add our condiments on that side table over there.

But no more. No side table, no more 1 minute wait- I'm handed another computerized flipper and told to wait... Excuse me (think Steve Martin) ,I did not escape to a cruise ship to hold this thing! The hot dogs are now smaller (1/8 lb) and the hamburgers are overdone to the USA government recommended levels of 'don't even think of enjoying me'. Gee, am I the only guy here who would like a real steak, burger or brat without some 'special sauce' from a corporate vegetarian exec who mandates this stuff ?

Ok, the trip was only $4k. But when we got home- 2" steak from Sams club. Real Boarshead dogs and now I'm lookin' for a cruise with guys' food.

Where should I look?

To each their own. None of that bothers me. Get 2 hotdogs instead of one. Nathan's hot dogs are small, it is the way they have always been. I like my hamburger cooked and if they are fresh they should be juicy. No problem though, that just leaves more food for the rest of us. As to waiting, if you want your food fresh you have to wait for it to be cooked, hence the beeper. I love those beepers, they let you wander about and not be tied to standing next to the grill. Do you get your food instantly when at a bar be que?

After reading this thread it seems to me that the only problems are on the Eurodam.

IMHO the only problems are with the critics! I ate there several times on our recent Eurodam B2B and it is 10X better than the old Terrace Grill.

You can't please some people, but I guess this is why this site is called CruiseCRITIC.

Thanks for the menu. Question about the burgers: can you build them to spec with the ingredients listed? While leaving some ingredients out?

Suppose I just want a burger with cheese & bacon, but without the chop-chop lettuce, etc.---is that possible?

Ruth -

Just got off the Noordam. HAL introduced the "Dive-In" on Mar 10th during their last Caribbean cruise. I was the second one to use the new system on the Noordam.

You can alter the menu choices for each type/class of burger by leaving out/off certain items, but can not inter mix.

:mad:PERSONAL OPINION - I hate it. You can no longer get the simple original HAL burger most of us have been used to for the past 30+ years, without jumping through various hoops.

1. You must fill out and submit a form for each different type burger.

2. Obtain a Pager (Shaped like a Stun Gun - Wanted to use it as a Zapper)

3. Find a place to sit, if available, and wait to be paged (5-10 min.)

4. Return to Station, pickup your order and return Pager

IF you just want the simple original/previous type of burger HAL used to offer, you must follow steps 1-4 above - THEN - go to the Sandwich Station inside the Lido and wait again in line to obtain a piece of lettuce, slice of raw onion & pickle (sometimes maybe available at Dive-In).

More choices are available - But more does not necessarily mean better.

PS: Used to take 1-2 crew staff, now up to 6+

Ruth -

Just got off the Noordam. HAL introduced the "Dive-In" on Mar 10th during their last Caribbean cruise. I was the second one to use the new system on the Noordam.

You can alter the menu choices for each type/class of burger by leaving out/off certain items, but can not inter mix.

Thanks for listing out the process; sounds like it will work well for me. Since I can't stand for long periods, being able to sit with a pager works better than the Terrace Grill procedure. Heck, a kindly steward or officer may take pity on me and bring my lunch over---save me some hobbling. :D

Since I don't want all that rabbit food, I won't have to make an extra trip anywhere.

I just don't get the big thrill about a burger place. What is so exciting?

I love a good burger on the ship every once in a while. Problem has been that the burgers at the Terrace Grill haven't been "good". Remember, I take long cruises, so a good burger is a nice change of pace.

Waves Grill on Oceania was out of this world! If I had let myself, I would have had their burger every day. If HAL is only half as good, this will be a big improvement. I hope it's in operation on the Oosterdam when I board.

I just don't get the big thrill about a burger place. What is so exciting?

I don't either, but to each their own. Our cruises are generally 15 to 21 days long...yet I can find enough that I enjoy without going to the Terrace Grill (now "Dive In").

I heard complaints on the Maasdam in Jan/Feb about no burgers being served...I think they may have been transitioning from Terrace Grill to Dive In.

I hate frozen burgers, won't eat them and have never tried the Terrace grill because of it. Maybe it's faster but I am not in a rush to eat garbage.

That being said if I have to wait with a pager for a a real hamburger and walk somewhere to get some tomato and lettuce then that's what I am going to do and be excited about it.

I wait 20 minutes in a restaurant for a good burger and can walk all day in Rome.

I can wait a reasonable amount of time and do a little walking for a good product.

Glass half full.

I understand from this thread that the Dive-In replaces the Terrace Grill area where the burgers, dogs, fries, etc. used to be. My question is - what happened to the "taco bar/nacho bar" area. Is it still there?

The taco bar was still there in early March, unless they removed it since.

I think the taco bar is now in the lido restaurant.

I was quite impressed with the 'dive in', I would place my order, get my beeper, then head into the lido to get a side salad and usually by the time I had done that my beeper was telling me my FRESHLY MADE BURGER was ready and lovely it was too.

I love a good burger on the ship every once in a while. Problem has been that the burgers at the Terrace Grill haven't been "good". Remember, I take long cruises, so a good burger is a nice change of pace.

Waves Grill on Oceania was out of this world! If I had let myself, I would have had their burger every day. If HAL is only half as good, this will be a big improvement. I hope it's in operation on the Oosterdam when I board.

You must have just had bad luck! :( The two burgers that I ordered from the 'Terrace Grill' onboard my recent Ryndam cruise were excellent! :) No gristle & very tasty! In fact, they were the best burgers that I've ever eaten, on land or at sea! ;)

The taco bar was still there in early March, unless they removed it since.

The Taco Bar that used to be close to the Terrace Grill was no longer there when we were on in February. They had put in tables in its former location.

I saw a photo of the "burger board" and they were listed.

Thank you! The only pictures I saw had a portabella listed, but no veggie burger. I wasn't sure if there was another section of the menu board, or if maybe it was something that they could make but wasn't on the menu.

Thank you! The only pictures I saw had a portabella listed, but no veggie burger. I wasn't sure if there was another section of the menu board, or if maybe it was something that they could make but wasn't on the menu.

I bet that portabello burger is yummy.