what to do in Skagway if we don't do the train or rental car?

sacnaillady

After talking to one of my friends who has been to Skagway about renting a car and driving to Emerald lake, I'm re thinking my decision. I am afraid of heights. Especially when it involves a car and steep drop offs. I freak out and my DH and I usually end up in a fight because I'm so freaked! My fault totally but it is something I can't control!

Anyway, what else is a must do if we don't do the drive? We are healthy 54 year olds that are active but we don't want to do any thing too difficult or "extreme". It's vacation. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Linda

There is a FREE walking tour through town by the National Park Service. Usually leaving at the top of the hour. Since a good part of the town is part of the Gold Rush National Park, they do a good job. It is not a tiring walk, and is very informative.

Skagway is a very charming town and easy to walk around in. The ships dock close enough that you can walk right into town when you leave the ship.

We have been there twice so far, and did some window shopping before going on a shore excursion each time.

You might enjoy seeing a slide show my wife made with her pictures for her website. I'll insert a link below that will take you right there

Skagway ~ A Walk Around Town and bus excursion To The Summit

The bus excursion was very nice with frequent stops for pictures. We didn't see any sheer drops during the whole excursion.

Alaska is fantastic! Enjoy every minute of it!

Our plan for Skagway includes a ship excursion over to Haines and a visit to the Eagle Preserve. We also plan to walk around town and probably one of the shorter hikes like to the cemetery, Reid Falls or Yakutania Point. It will depend on the weather and how we are feeling. Here is a link to the trail map.

You can take the ferry to Haines even if you don't do a ship's excursion.

Hope this helps.

We have spent the day in Skagway. We went to the national park ranger station first to get a reservation for the ranger lead tour. The tour doesn't cost anything but you do need a ticket as they only take so many on each tour. We really enjoyed the tour which went all around town visiting several different buildings. We then went on the Lower Dewy lake hike. After the hike we had lunch and walked to Yakutaina Point and did a little shopping. It was a nice relaxing day at our own pace.

Thank you everyone. Wonderful suggestions. I didn't know it but my husband has done the bus trip to the top of the pass. He said that I definitely would not be able to handle the drive! I did go to the cruise ship site and right now the glacier point safari looks appealing. I'm going to do further research and I'm still open right now. So keep the suggestion coming!

Thank you everyone. Wonderful suggestions. I didn't know it but my husband has done the bus trip to the top of the pass. He said that I definitely would not be able to handle the drive! I did go to the cruise ship site and right now the glacier point safari looks appealing. I'm going to do further research and I'm still open right now. So keep the suggestion coming!

The glacier point safari keeps getting top ranks for an excursion. It is on my list of things to do.

To the OP, just a note of caution, re the local hiking mentioned by someone on here.

Yak point is a wonderful stroll out to the ocean, with a nice view down the fiord.

Dewey Lake would not be for someone with any fear of heights!

I feel privileged to have been up there several times this winter, since we usually do not go up there in the winter without very special footgear for the ice and even then, it is quite perilous because there are places with over one hundred foot drop offs from a three foot wide trail! WE have enjoyed a fairly warm winter with very little snow and so I was able to go up in sneakers in jAnuary and February for the first time in over 25 years! Then we got nearly three feet of snow in one night a couple of weeks ago and now I wait to see if I can do the March hike to the lake to round out a perfect winter!?!

sometimes, people on early ships have to turn back because of the ice on the trail, so beware if you come early.

DD

I didn't read all replies, so I'm sorry if I'm a repeater.

We did the hike and float trip with Skagway Float and really enjoyed it. My 2 year old and my 85 year old grandma did the float portion with us, but only part of us did the hike. It worked out really well!

The trail to upper lake is a continuation beyond the lower lake trail, so yes, you still will encounter the skinny trail and the steep sides!

The trail to Smugglers Cove is usually continued from Yak point trail and there are no steep sides, just some clambering over rocks. If you reach Smugglers cove and you see someone down there with equipment which could not possibly have come over the trail?!?!, which you just struggled over, be you informed, that there used to be a road down to the shooting range which went on down to Smugglers Cove and was reputedly used as a rough launch for boats, which is where the name for this site springs from. ThIs road was closed by the city when they moved the shooting range a bit farther out the Dyea road, but the habits of some are not easily changed, soooooo, if you hear some shooting going on, do not panic, there are no revenewers out there anymore, just a few locals sighting in for the season.

DD

After talking to one of my friends who has been to Skagway about renting a car and driving to Emerald lake, I'm re thinking my decision. I am afraid of heights. Especially when it involves a car and steep drop offs. I freak out and my DH and I usually end up in a fight because I'm so freaked! My fault totally but it is something I can't control!
It is a long, wonderful drive and the steep drop offs occur on only short sections of it.

It should not be a problem, unless you are the driver.

If someone else does the driving, you can look the other way, or even sit with your eyes closed while passing through those areas.

It would be a shame to miss out on an entire wonderful 5 - 7 hour trip for just those few minutes.

Maybe your doctor would even give you some type of tranquilizer to take.

Some cruise passengers I know are probably thinking about some cocktails they enjoy, after which they are not afraid of anything. :D

It is a long, wonderful drive and the steep drop offs occur on only short sections of it.

It should not be a problem, unless you are the driver.

If someone else does the driving, you can look the other way, or even sit with your eyes closed while passing through those areas.

It would be a shame to miss out on an entire wonderful 5 - 7 hour trip for just those few minutes.

Maybe your doctor would even give you some type of tranquilizer to take.

Some cruise passengers I know are probably thinking about some cocktails they enjoy, after which they are not afraid of anything. :D

Thank you for the info. We are discussing it and I may go for it. I won't do any zanex but the cocktail idea sound appealing! :-)

You are aware that there aren't any eagles at the Preserve in the summer? Well, maybe the odd one.

Except for the hundreds of resident eagles.

There is a late season salmon run that congregates SE eagles but it doesn't mean only the odd ones are there at other times.

Except for the hundreds of resident eagles.

There is a late season salmon run that congregates SE eagles but it doesn't mean only the odd ones are there at other times.

You'll see more eagles downtown at any of the ports than you will at the Bald Eagle Preserve in the summer (which I drive through fairly regularly).

Thank you for the info. We are discussing it and I may go for it. I won't do any zanex but the cocktail idea sound appealing! :-)

I rekated when I read you rinitial email, because I also am absolutely phobic about drives that involve cliffs, dropoffs, and the like. I have experienced many a panic attack, tears, irrationally hollering at my husband that we have to turn around, etc. as a passenger when we drive in areas that are mountainous or have cliff edges or drop offs. You have my sympathies about this, as I know just what you are talking about. So, I wanted you to know that we did this drive last year and I had no problem at all and loved it. There were only a few drop off/cliff type areas (and they are not all that bad, truly); as I noticed them as we approached, I just shut my eyes for a minute or so. It wasn't bad at all (and trust me, I usually become an anxiety monkey at the slightest sign of a drop off). This drive is pretty great - I would hate for you to miss it due to a minute or two portion. I really think you should consider it.

I rekated when I read you rinitial email, because I also am absolutely phobic about drives that involve cliffs, dropoffs, and the like. I have experienced many a panic attack, tears, irrationally hollering at my husband that we have to turn around, etc. as a passenger when we drive in areas that are mountainous or have cliff edges or drop offs. You have my sympathies about this, as I know just what you are talking about. So, I wanted you to know that we did this drive last year and I had no problem at all and loved it. There were only a few drop off/cliff type areas (and they are not all that bad, truly); as I noticed them as we approached, I just shut my eyes for a minute or so. It wasn't bad at all (and trust me, I usually become an anxiety monkey at the slightest sign of a drop off). This drive is pretty great - I would hate for you to miss it due to a minute or two portion. I really think you should consider it.

Thank you. I will think about it. I really would like to do the drive.

Skagway is a very charming town and easy to walk around in. The ships dock close enough that you can walk right into town when you leave the ship.

We have been there twice so far, and did some window shopping before going on a shore excursion each time.

You might enjoy seeing a slide show my wife made with her pictures for her website. I'll insert a link below that will take you right there

Skagway ~ A Walk Around Town and bus excursion To The Summit

The bus excursion was very nice with frequent stops for pictures. We didn't see any sheer drops during the whole excursion.

Alaska is fantastic! Enjoy every minute of it!

Those pictures were beautiful! Can I ask what type/name of camera your wife has?

Those pictures were beautiful! Can I ask what type/name of camera your wife has?

My wife uses a Nikon D5100. She has several lens but she didn't want to lug them around so she bought a Tamron 18-270 mm lens and takes it with her when we travel.

I'll pass on your compliment to her. She puts a lot of effort into her website so she will be glad to hear you enjoyed visiting it. Thanks!