My comparison between Celebrity and Princess

Go-Bucks!

Just returned from my first Celebrity cruise on the Reflection. Had a 1A balcony room on the hump (great location). Wanted to share my thoughts on the experience as compared to my experiences on Princess. Granted, this was just one time on Celebrity vs. 6 Princess cruises, but here are some insights on a number of areas. Overall, I like both cruiselines and will cruise on either again.

Cheers to our fellow Ohio State Buckeye fan. Assume you'll be tuning in Thursday at 12:30 pm for the start of March Madness on CBS-TV with OSU versus Dayton from Buffalo.

Appreciate your range of excellent details and realism. Might want to try Princess at some future time if their port locations/offerings fit our needs. As noted in the live/blog below, we just got off of the Solstice last month. We enjoyed that second cruise with Celebrity, but recognize that no cruise is totally and exactly "perfect". Lots of variables, needs, styles, interests, etc. Have done four different cruise lines and they all have their pro/con factors. Then, there is the question of "value" and pricing. Nothing stays exactly the same for the future and your locations of interest.

THANKS for your review and details! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 43,788 views for this fun posting.

Having cruised on Princess three different times (on consecutive cruises) and thoroughly enjoying each one, It was starting to feel a little bit like grounhog day as the ship experience was the same. "(A standard of standardness)."

I am new to "X" and will sailing for the first time in a little more than a month from now and am excited to see the differences for myself. We will be in AQ and BLU so the comparisons won't be apples to apples but based on your post, I will miss the Piazza.

I said I would never again cruise Carnival due to their too loud music. I think "X" is stoopid for copying Carnival on this. I love music of all kinds, but not at levels that are injurious to my ears.

I may end up calling HAL my home cruiseline if Celebrity morphs into a "Carn-ebrity."

Thanks for a nice post!

Just returned from my first Celebrity cruise on the Reflection. Had a 1A balcony room on the hump (great location). Wanted to share my thoughts on the experience as compared to my experiences on Princess. Granted, this was just one time on Celebrity vs. 6 Princess cruises, but here are some insights on a number of areas.

Cheers to our fellow Ohio State Buckeye fan. Assume you'll be tuning in Thursday at 12:30 pm for the start of March Madness on CBS-TV with OSU versus Dayton from Buffalo.

Another thanks for a well thought out review that was very informative.

As for March Madness, we're a house divided here! DW is a Buckeye (was actually a varsity cheerleader standing on the sidelines when Woody Hayes punched the player and got fired!) and I'm a Husker. Bittersweet here at our home when the Huskers blew that big lead late and the Bucks won last week! :)

Go Huskers, Go Bucks! :)

I said I would never again cruise Carnival due to their too loud music. I think "X" is stoopid for copying Carnival on this. I love music of all kinds, but not at levels that are injurious to my ears. I may end up calling HAL my home cruiseline if Celebrity morphs into a "Carn-ebrity."

Just to clarify - the loud music was being played by a live band in the grand foyer in the evening and could not be heard in my cabin which was near the foyer area. It was not piped in music being played all over the ship. The ship was very quiet during the daytime except for the pool area. Quiet music was played in the buffet. The band at night was the only loud music I ever heard. Definitely don't avoid Celebrity because of just one band at night in the foyer.

Thanks for the comparisons - having cruised both I agreed with most of your observations except pricing - we always shop around with various internet TA's and make use of the "competitive bids for your business" site also. Although Princess has had some pretty good "last minute" offers - Celebrity has been up until now significantly less expensive. I have noticed their pricing sneaking up but if you book really early (just got great pricing for 2015 Alaska) or catch a promotion I still think their pricing is less on balcony to balcony comparative pricing. Mini-suites may be another story but balcony to balcony the rooms are much nicer, beds more comfortable and do not smell of smoke. Our last experience on Princess the balcony room looked and smelled like a cheap motel.

What I like about Princess is their Pizza, pasta at dinner that you can split and order their pasta dishes as an appetizer. Their deserts are good too. Especially their souffles,

What drives me crazy is that when you have Anytime Dining (Personal Choice) or whatever they call it. Every single time when we asked for a table for two we were asked "do you want to share." This was breakfast, lunch or dinner. We were on Princess in November. The time before was several years before .... and they were doing it then. A table for two means a table for two![/sIZ

Princess also allows TAs to discount. Unless you know this you would think that their prices are higher than Celebrity. Many times they are not.

Edited by mafig