Alaska, maybe?

Hello everyone,

I am considering a cruise to Alaska on RCI in May of 2015. I'd love to get as much input as I can.

We sail only RCI, and I notice a few Alaskan cruises next year sailing from the west coast. Can someone tell me a bit about the differences (besides weather) compared to other RCI cruises? I have heard some people state that it is much more casual, for starters. The few that mentioned that did not sail RCI however, so I wanted to get some input.

On board, are things similar, as far as activities and so forth? I would imagine that if the weather is as iffy as many describe, the pool may not get a lot of use at times, and that people will migrate inward a bit.

Alaska is a whole new world for me, so any information would be great.

You don't exactly sail from the west coast and consider that an Alaska cruise....We're so glad to have RCI for a few sailings to the Pacific Northwest (many of us have booked at least one of these...keeping our promise to RCI)...As far as Alaska goes we'll be doing our 3rd this May...love the northbound out of Vancouver BC

laurspag,

Alaska is wonderful. We have cruised there twice on two different cruise lines, both were in August.

Are you considering a round trip cruise, Northbound (one way) cruise, or Southbound?

Our first cruise was round trip out of Seattle. It was not on RC but RC does offer that route.

Our second cruise was Southbound from Seward, AK to Vancouver on Radiance of the Seas. We enjoyed this experience more than the first. The itinerary included a port call in Icy Strait Point which is in Hoonah. It was fantastic.

You might enjoy view the pictures my wife took and made into slideshows for her website. Just click on the links below to see them.

Feel free to ask questions. The people here in the Cruise Critic community are friendly and can offer loads of information to help you in your planning.

We've done Southbound twice on Radiance, the most recent this past July. I really want to go back again in the next few years. The first time we went with a CruiseTour, this past year we did our own land tour and then boarded the ship. In my opinion, the cruise is a bit more casual, but some folks still go "full formal". I think that the shows and options onboard are similar to those on the Caribbean routes. There were plenty of folks enjoying the pool areas, it was quite warm.

Hello everyone,

I am considering a cruise to Alaska on RCI in May of 2015. I'd love to get as much input as I can.

We sail only RCI, and I notice a few Alaskan cruises next year sailing from the west coast. Can someone tell me a bit about the differences (besides weather) compared to other RCI cruises? I have heard some people state that it is much more casual, for starters. The few that mentioned that did not sail RCI however, so I wanted to get some input.

On board, are things similar, as far as activities and so forth? I would imagine that if the weather is as iffy as many describe, the pool may not get a lot of use at times, and that people will migrate inward a bit.

Alaska is a whole new world for me, so any information would be great.

You don't exactly sail from the west coast and consider that an Alaska cruise....We're so glad to have RCI for a few sailings to the Pacific Northwest (many of us have booked at least one of these...keeping our promise to RCI)...As far as Alaska goes we'll be doing our 3rd this May...love the northbound out of Vancouver BC

In the process of booking one-way Alaska. Why do you prefer northbound vs. southbound. Have you done a land tour of Alaska after a northbound?

Thank you!

The cruises that are one way south - are nicer if you do a land tour. You are busier on the land tour and have the cruise south to relax and enjoy the scenery and cruise. Alaska cruises are not beach oriented. There are more sightseeing tours. Also since it is the summer months we found there are a lot more families on the ship. Late night entertainment is not very important as most people are planning on getting up for the next days tour.

In the process of booking one-way Alaska. Why do you prefer northbound vs. southbound. Have you done a land tour of Alaska after a northbound?

Thank you!

I always suggest a Southbound itinerary.

1.). Longest flight is the beginning of the trip when you are excited and more tolerant. For example, we are flying up in June.....our own land tour then southbound on the Radiance.

Outbound from the East Coast. 11 1-2 hours into Anchorage

Return (after 2 weeks away). 5 3/4 hours home from Seattle

2.). Generally the land tour is far more active. You are changing hotels, riding on trains, motor coaches and rental cars. By the time you arrive onboard you are ready for a little pampering.

Because Southbound voyages are more popular you may sometimes find discounts popping up on Northbound voyages.

Thank you!

Northbound..Because we do the cruise only (time factor for us), love the sailout past Stanley Park and under Lionsgate Bridge (what a way to start a cruise), as you head north the scenery just keeps getting better, we find it easier to fly into YVR and get to Canada Place and start our cruise, we don't mind (usually prefer) taking the train transfer from Seward to ANC (it's amazing), and we have found the prices in early May northbound hard to beat the last 3 times we have booked....Just a few of the reasons why we keep doing the northbound rather than the southbound :D

Alaska is beautiful and should be seen at least once! It's a whole new cruise experience. It's tough to describe, even with pictures, the Beauty of the Alaskan coastline. You need to see it!

Tom

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The RCI ships that sail Alaska itineraries all have climate-controlled covered solarium pools, so the weather is much less likely to limit your use of the pool than you might imagine. You can use the pool while still being able to view the spectacular Alaskan scenery.

I appreciate all the wonderful info. Cruising Alaska seems so much different than any other cruise so it seems I have so many questions. I have been trying to figure out what it is like to be on a cruise in cold, wet weather, you know?

It's nice to know that the pool area can be used with the retractable roof.

We laugh a lot at home, but I'm either too hot, or absolutely freezing. I would imagine I would want to wear a lot of layers to Alaska.

Cruise tours seem quite intensive. I am thinking that we would enjoy our own pace a bit with maybe an excursion here and there.