Celebrity Summit Questions

Cruise4Jesus

Just booked on Celebrity Summit out of Bayonne NJ and have never sailed on Celebrity so I have a few questions:

Is the Main Ding Room open for lunch on boarding and/or port days?

Can you bring on your own bottled water and/or soda?

Is there any guest laundry facilities on board?

Is there any alternate parking lots available that you would recommend?

Never sailed from Bayonne, can you see the NY City skyline when departing?

We have an ocean view on deck 2 under the main theater, for anyone who has stayed in this area did you get noise from the theater?

Do they enforce a suit on formal nights or is a button up shirt and tie sufficient?

Any must do activities on this ship?

Thank you in advance for all your answers, it is appreciated.

The main dining room is open for lunch on sea days, not on embarkation or port days.

You can bring your own water or soda onboard as well as 2 bottles of wine per state room.

There are no laundry facilities on board but you can use Celebrity's laundry service. It is reasonable and they offer a "stuff the bag" towards the end of the cruise for a set price.

You can see the New York sky line but you will not sail past the Statue of Liberty.

My DH usually takes a tux, or at least a sports coat. Opinions vary on what Celebrity will accept on formal night.

Mary Lou

Hi, I will take a few of your questions........

The main dining room is not open for lunch on sail day or port days

either. Only on sea days.

Yes, you can bring your own water and soda.

None of Celebrity's ships have self serve laundry facilites.

You can see part of NYC...you sail under the Verazanno Bridge (sp).

and Lady Liberty is visible.

I will leave the parking, dress code and cabin questions to others.

I have sailed Summit 6 times though. She is one of my favorite ships:)

Hi Mary Lou:) but Lady Liberty is visible:D (from a distance).

Hi Lois, yes I know it is visible but you do not sail past it when sailing from Bayonne. Just trying to be accurate for the OP. We sailed out of New York City twice and did sail past the Statue of Liberty so this was influencing my answer. Have also sailed from Bayonne several times. Hope we can sail together some day.

Mary Lou

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

Hi Lois, yes I know it is visible but you do not sail past it when sailing from Bayonne. Just trying to be accurate for the OP. We sailed out of New York City twice and did sail past the Statue of Liberty so this was influencing my answer. Have also sailed from Bayonne several times. Hope we can sail together some day.

Mary Lou

I have sailed from there twice as well....and yes, it would be fun

to cruise together one day:D

Just booked on Celebrity Summit out of Bayonne NJ and have never sailed on Celebrity so I have a few questions:

Is the Main Ding Room open for lunch on boarding and/or port days?

Can you bring on your own bottled water and/or soda?

Is there any guest laundry facilities on board?

Is there any alternate parking lots available that you would recommend?

Never sailed from Bayonne, can you see the NY City skyline when departing?

We have an ocean view on deck 2 under the main theater, for anyone who has stayed in this area did you get noise from the theater?

Do they enforce a suit on formal nights or is a button up shirt and tie sufficient?

Any must do activities on this ship?

Thank you in advance for all your answers, it is appreciated.

Hi;

I hope I can answer some of your questions(Summit is one of my favorite ships).

*The MDR is not open for lunch on boarding or port days. There is Bistro on 5(a $5 per person cover) as well as the Aqua Spa Cafe as an alternative to the buffet for boarding day.

*You may bring your own bottled water/soda, there is no limit(only what you're willing to bring along). Ask for extra baggage tags at the port(if you need them), and while you're things are being off loaded, write your name and room # on the tags, put it on your water/soda case, and have them loaded with the rest of your baggage.

*No self serve laundry facilities are available on the ship.

*There is alternate parking available that is cheaper(parking other than at the port itself). I can't comment on them, as we always rely on other arrangements and don't drive in. One is Premier Parking Ventures(http://premierparkingusa.com/cruise-parking/port-liberty), the other is Global Port Parking(http://globalairportparking.com/port_liberty_seaport_parking_POL). The best thing to do is head over to the East Coast Departures board here on Cruise Critic (here's the link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415) and ask about off port parking and if anyone has an opinion about these(or any other) alternate facilities.

*You won't see much of the iconic skyline, however while still at the dock, you'll have a great view of Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn, as well as being able to watch the Staten Island Ferry in NY Harbor. The ship sails under the Verranzano-Narrows Bridge, which is a nice sight, and there's a nice view of some of coastal NJ too.

*I've never had an oceanview on deck 2, but I did stay in one that was directly over the theater on deck 6, and never heard anything(I always had 2nd seating dinner, so I would be in my cabin during the 1st showtime).

*It's been hit or miss on enforcement of dress during formal nights, but in my past experiences(last cruise was April, '13), they've enforced it. I would at least bring a suit jacket for your husband to wear for formal nights with his shirt and tie.

*My main "must do" activity is to sometimes do as little as possible!(I know that doesn't help, but I do like the chef demos they sometimes have, and I also enjoy the galley tour)

Enjoy your cruise.

If you got the beverage package you won't need to bring water. They will give you a bottle anytime you want. Good size too. Just don't drink the one in your cabin, they charge $4.50 for that one.

Enjoyed the Summit and already booked again.

We were on deck six over the theater and never heard a thing. Don't know about under though.

Thank you all very much for the information it is very much appreciated.

Jerry and Cheryl

We were in cabin 2081 Oceanview for B2b cruises out of Bayonne in October 2013. We liked it so much, we booked the same cabin for October 2014, B2b out of Bayonne. We were never troubled by any noise from the theater. Here is our youtube video of our trip. It is pretty comprehensive with a few shots of our cabin and a few of the NY skyline and the Statue of Liberty at the beginning of the video. I hope you enjoy it:

Edited by existentialtraveler

Most questions were already answered but I thought I'd add that parking at Cape Liberty is convenient and easy to use.

You do not sail down the river past all of New York but the Statue of Liberty is above the ship (generally off the port side while docked in Bayonne and you can see some of the skyline.

I uploaded one picture taken from the Silhouette while docked in Bayonne looking toward the Staute of Liberty and lower Manhatten from 2011.

100_3716.jpg.c139cf0a7c867fa5bd4129c1d4dda284.jpg

Edited by kfrey68

Hi;

I hope I can answer some of your questions(Summit is one of my favorite ships).

*The MDR is not open for lunch on boarding or port days. There is Bistro on 5(a $5 per person cover) as well as the Aqua Spa Cafe as an alternative to the buffet for boarding day.

*You may bring your own bottled water/soda, there is no limit(only what you're willing to bring along). Ask for extra baggage tags at the port(if you need them), and while you're things are being off loaded, write your name and room # on the tags, put it on your water/soda case, and have them loaded with the rest of your baggage.

*No self serve laundry facilities are available on the ship.

*There is alternate parking available that is cheaper(parking other than at the port itself). I can't comment on them, as we always rely on other arrangements and don't drive in. One is Premier Parking Ventures(http://premierparkingusa.com/cruise-parking/port-liberty), the other is Global Port Parking(http://globalairportparking.com/port_liberty_seaport_parking_POL). The best thing to do is head over to the East Coast Departures board here on Cruise Critic (here's the link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415) and ask about off port parking and if anyone has an opinion about these(or any other) alternate facilities.

*You won't see much of the iconic skyline, however while still at the dock, you'll have a great view of Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn, as well as being able to watch the Staten Island Ferry in NY Harbor. The ship sails under the Verranzano-Narrows Bridge, which is a nice sight, and there's a nice view of some of coastal NJ too.

*I've never had an oceanview on deck 2, but I did stay in one that was directly over the theater on deck 6, and never heard anything(I always had 2nd seating dinner, so I would be in my cabin during the 1st showtime).

*It's been hit or miss on enforcement of dress during formal nights, but in my past experiences(last cruise was April, '13), they've enforced it. I would at least bring a suit jacket for your husband to wear for formal nights with his shirt and tie.

*My main "must do" activity is to sometimes do as little as possible!(I know that doesn't help, but I do like the chef demos they sometimes have, and I also enjoy the galley tour)

Enjoy your cruise.

My intent is not to start another dress code thread, but just to share my own experience on Summit in May, 2013. We ate in Select Dining and observed many men in just shirts, no ties or jackets on formal nights. I questioned our waiter as to the lack of enforcement of the dress code, and he just shrugged and said there was nothing they could do about it. I don't know if the same situation was taking place in the parts of the MDR that had traditional seatings.

We are sailing Summit next week in the Caaribbean and for the first time ever my husband is not wearing a tux. He will be wearing a sport jacket, shirt and tie on formal nights.