Boarding Security Procedures

SHINEMAN

Do you go thru the same boarding security procedures as with the TSA at airports/ For example, will they take my small Swiss Army keychain knife, take off your shoes and all that stuff? Or is it just booze they are interested in?

expect something very similar to airport proceedures

that said - frequent travelers will tell you that the rules vary from city to city...

do you realy need that knife - I say if you feel the need to ask the question, you already know the answer.....

You do have to pass through a metal detector and send anything you are carrying (purses, packages, etc) through an x-ray machine each time you board. You also have to present your sign and sail card. I've never had to take my shoes off and I don't think they would bother with a keychain knife (unlike TSA).

The person in front of me in line last time had a fishing knife in his carry on bag that was consfiscated. He said he hadn't thought about the knife since he didn't fly into port. I didn't hear if they would be returning it to him after the cruise or not...

Do the whole TSA guidelines apply? Such as no knitting needles or embroidery scissors? I had some grand plans for the at sea days, but if such things aren't allowed I'm going to have to do some serious rearranging.

I think they are looking for weapons....and alcohol.

What can't I bring onboard?

Passenger is not allowed to bring onboard the vessel without the previous written permission of the Carrier any intoxicating liquors, or beverages, firearms, weapons of any kind, ammunition, explosive substances or any goods of a dangerous nature, nor animals of any kind, except service or guide animals, provided the passenger notifies Carrier prior to the cruise of his intention to bring such animal and agrees to take sole responsibility for any expense, damage, injuries or losses associated with or caused by such animal.

Do the whole TSA guidelines apply? Such as no knitting needles or embroidery scissors? I had some grand plans for the at sea days, but if such things aren't allowed I'm going to have to do some serious rearranging.

I don't think so - I recollect at least one woman knitting and another doing what looked like some sort of needlework.

It is not the same level of security as an airplane - totally different space.

For example, on an airline, you can't bring on board knives of almost any sort, or lighters.

On a ship, those are already on board so it would be pretty silly to ban them in the same way.

No machetes though.

Avoid the potenial hassle. Pack the pocket knife in your checked bag.

Zeno

I had a TINY swiss army knife that I traveled with. It is know the property of TSA in Detroit :) I did not even know I had it as it was lodged in the lining of my carry on. It went thru security perhaps 20 times before they found and removed the knife.

FYI, knitting needles are permitted on airplanes by the TSA.

TSA may permit knitting needles, but the security screeners at my local airport don't. TSA also says blunted scissors are okay, and the local screeners disagree. Likewise, TSA doesn't require you to take off your shoes, but at my local airport all shoes must come off.

Further question: the beverage threads suggest that if your bags are pulled for suspicious content, you have to go and open your bag for them in person. Is this true for all suspicious content or just beverages? I'm wondering if it's okay to lock my bags.

TSA may permit knitting needles, but the security screeners at my local airport don't. TSA also says blunted scissors are okay, and the local screeners disagree. Likewise, TSA doesn't require you to take off your shoes, but at my local airport all shoes must come off.

Further question: the beverage threads suggest that if your bags are pulled for suspicious content, you have to go and open your bag for them in person. Is this true for all suspicious content or just beverages? I'm wondering if it's okay to lock my bags.

Interesting. So much for the TSA trying to establish guidelines, huh?

Bags are pulled for all suspicious content, not just beverages. You'll be fine leaving your bags locked because NCL will not open your bags without you being present.

Sorry this is a duplicate. Thought original query not answered. It is under Boarding Security, altho the replies do not cover medications, i.e. the need to have actual Rx bottles as on airlines which won't let you get away with pill boxes.

From what I understand, the boarding luggage inspection is done by NCL security and not TSA. It seems they are looking for alcohol more than weapons...lol.

Seriously, as far as your knife question is concerned, my sister in law purchased some cooking knives in a port and they were confiscated upon her return to the ship. She had to pick them up the last morning of the cruise. (and since this was after luggage pick up the prior night, she had to open her luggage on the pier in order to put the knives in her check luggage before reaching the airport.) On the other hand, a friend with us also bought knives in the same port and he went in the other gangway and they were not taken.

Can't answer your perscription question because I always carry my pills in their container. I'm sure you could take the pills on in their original boxes and an empty pill container and then sort out the medications once on board.

Unless you are planning to either drive to the port or buy a knife after you get off of the plane but prior to getting on the ship it is really a moot point. You cannot bring the knife on the plane so therefore you won't even have it when you get to the ship.

As far as prescriptions go I have always brought on of those 7 day pill dispenser thingies with my meds in there. No one has ever batted an eyelash. :)

We booked our cruise recently and I am certain that we were advised that ALL prescription medications MUST BE in their original bottles. In fact, I was so worried about this that I went back to my physician and requested new RX's for some medications because I had thrown away the bottles. Better safe than sorry...finding this out during boarding would not be a good thing if your meds are essential.

The couple we were travelling with had small scissors (passed TSA inspection on the flight out) taken at the Aloha towers and they were never returned. She ended up buying a cheap pair at the WalMart and had no problem getting those back on the ship. This was last October boarding the Aloha.

Avoid the potenial hassle. Pack the pocket knife in your checked bag.

Zeno

I had a TINY swiss army knife that I traveled with. It is know the property of TSA in Detroit :) I did not even know I had it as it was lodged in the lining of my carry on. It went thru security perhaps 20 times before they found and removed the knife.

Just to be on the safe side my TINY swiss army knife when it travels by plane is ALWAYS in the checked luggage (I really love it and don't want to give it to airport security). However when I arrive I transfer it to my back pack and it goes on board with me.

FYI - I'm not sure if this is due to recent events, but I was at Pier 88 in NYC and security is definitely heightened. If you park your car, a customs agent and dog will go through your car (must open trunk, etc.). There were also many agents with dogs walking throughout the terminal itself. IMHO, I'm happy they are there...especially with everything happening in London, etc. I don't know if this has anything to do with checking in, but I did see the dogs near the luggage carts to be loaded onto the ships (Dawn and Crown).

Archived