Need cruiser experience to narrow down the sinking hole that keeps growing larger!

ma23peas

I think I feel the pressure...oldest is going away to college this fall...his sisters are already mourning the loss (I don't think I'll be the weepy mom, but am really stinking excited he gets this amazing experience and know he will have great memories!)...but the pressure is on to make our last 'family vacation' before our little nest is fractured er I mean expanding :)

I am a budget guru..have scored amazing deals and always on the lookout..I know for sure I want us all to visit somewhere none of us seen...we love discovering new things..

We have enough ff miles for 3 of us for US flights...my first thought was Hawaii, that would be amazing..but we would only have enough miles for 2 and paying for 3 others at more than $500 a ticket would make it not so fun to plan.

So, here are my options...

Fly to Miami...take cruise out of there? Have been to Eastern Mediterranean, thought about Costa Rica since kids loved Jurassic Park and thought it was filmed there..they really want scenic views.

Fly to San Francisco, do a day or two out to Yosemite and sail out of there?

Fly to Seattle (we used to live there so nothing too new, but the kids were pretty young so revisiting it before cruising may be fun) I hear Whistler is gorgeous but I hate being cold on vacation, after this long winter...I think warmth would be fun!

Fly to Galveston and sail out of there?

Just sooo confused! We have only been on Disney cruises...but none of their itineraries seems to be appealing and doubt we'd get the killer deals with kids sail free that we've scored in the past.

Can any of you share locales with scenery that perhaps your teenagers really enjoyed?? Hoping to travel anytime between May-August...wide open and flexible..but with ff miles need to book now if we're going in May..thanks so much for your help and sorry I've rambled....too much in my head to sort it all out well!

What about a four day out of LA and the remaining time checking out Southern California?

That is definitely an option in my sinking pit of vacation planning! :) Actually, that is how I started rethinking the cruise option :) I found these great offers for kids sail free out of LA, but we've done LA when we did a kids sail free Mexican cruise on Disney a few years back...that is why I was thinking hitting San Francisco might be a good option to see Yosemite and Sequoia parks...

Where we've been...Los Angeles/Cabo/Puerto Vallarta/St. Marteen/St. Thomas/St. John/Western Mediterranean/England/Most of Florida but never to Miami/Key West Have any of you had cruise locales you WOULD visit again? I just feel like I am on this earth for such a small window, I'd love to see new sights and take it all in while I'm here :)

Are there any cruise ships that sail out of San Juan? I thought we might get a flight down there and go see sights further south?

Can totally relate my oldest is going away to college this fall, so we did the Med last year as our biggie.

RC does a trip out of San Juan, not sure which ship or all the stops. We've done Disney a few times & RC. Their ships are fun and have good activities & I believe are currently running a 3&4 passenger free promo.

What about Alaska, I know you mentioned a bad winter so that may not be ideal. :) but that one is on our list before #2 goes to college in 2 years.

Or Bermuda? That's a nice spot too

Edited by hansolosmom

Thanks!! San Juan looks beautiful and I'd love to hit those ports down there! One of the reasons we sailed Disney is because they had rooms that fit 5 and we got all three kids free :) I'm not finding any rooms on RCL or others that seem to have cabins for five..so if I book a kids sail free, it is really only going to offer us one kid free, right? Because they must count 2 passengers paying per room..so 3 in one room with one kid sailing free and 2 in the other? Is that how it works?

Thanks!! Their websites seem hard to navigate...Disney was really easy to price out...I think I may need to keep searching but will go see how many ff points I need for San Juan hoping it's less than Hawaii! :)

Have any of you had cruise locales you WOULD visit again?

Bermuda. Absolutely beautiful. NCL sails from both NYC and Boston, their ships often have rooms for 5 and I've seen some kids sail free deals with them, so worth a look-see.

While I love Boston, sailing out of New York City is one of the most spectacular sailaways ever.

Summer is perfect for Alaska. It is a great cruise round trip or one way. Lots of families and things to see and do for all ages. If the budget permits the land tour addition that goes to Denali is wonderful. This from a non-outdoor non-animal non-scenery tourist.

RCI does have cabins for six--called family oceanviews--that are pretty nice and cheaper than a suite. I think they will book five in one, but you do have to call in either to your TA or RCI direct to find one--they won't show up if you are doing a 'fake' booking yourself.

As to itinerary, in the Caribbean, we like most of the routes, but our favorite is the southern routes; spectacular islands and a variety of scenery and things to do.

Carnival has some cabins for five as well, and some others will too. As stated before, you often have to call to find cabins for more than four.

Both Royal Caribbean and NCL are having a sail 'free' promotion right now for 3-4-6 guests. I had to call in direct to find cabins that actually were available using this promotion; my travel agent couldn't find any.

I place my vote for the Southern Caribbean! I believe it would be RCI Jewel out of San Juan! If you don't see a port San Juan is the midway hub to all that is the Caribbean! Another thing is how many hours do you want to be spending traveling in a plane! I am facing the same thing for my 50th B-day trip! I am highly considering the Jewel or a Departure out of New Orleans, and taking a visit to NO and Vilalobous Rescue and there New bar to help support the dogs! This is on my bucket list!

The only problem with the Southern Caribbean is that you usually (not always) either have to sail from San Juan, which means higher flight costs, or take a longer cruise, which, again costs more--and takes more time--hard for people with limited vacation time.

I have seen a few 7-day cruises that hit some of the Southern islands.

Bermuda. Absolutely beautiful. NCL sails from both NYC and Boston, their ships often have rooms for 5 and I've seen some kids sail free deals with them, so worth a look-see.

While I love Boston, sailing out of New York City is one of the most spectacular sailaways ever.

I totally agree with Bermuda. Relaxed feel, easy to get around, great memory maker location. It's our favorite place.

I'd give Bermuda on NCL Dawn some consideration. Spend a couple of days in Boston then you're off. Plenty to do in Bermuda. Beaches, caves, forts, aquarium, and you'll be there almost 3 full days so no rushing to get here and there. You can come and go on you're time, ship's open 24 hours.

I agree with all those who have suggested Bermuda. RCI has 2 cruise ships, Explorer of the Seas and Grandeur of the Seas visiting Bermuda. In May, GoS is sailing from Baltimore and EoS, from Bayonne, NJ. In June, GoS is still from Balt., and EoS is alternating between Bayonne and Balt.

In June, RCI's Vision of the Seas does a 10 nighter departing from Fort Lauderdale > Charleston, SC > Bermuda (2 nights) > Bahamas > Fort Lauderdale.

Bermuda has so much to do, you'll be returning again and again; IMHO, Bermudians genuinely treat you as if you were a guest in their home, not just someone to be tolerated.

SBtS

Awesome ideas!! Off to Call some cruise lines and compare prices doing either 7 day out of San Juan or Boston/New York departures...never considered Bermuda, I grew up when Bermuda was associated with the Triangle on those Mystery programs that Spock hosted....too terrified to go near it! :) But sounds like a great option!!